SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:40 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
165 Posts
Thanks Ueli,

would this course also work in SkyNavigator?

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:59 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Hi Bob
No, the longest Distance you can choose is 500m or less. But anyway, if we fly 3rd Scale Gliders up to 7m Wingspan, 500m is enough distance. Because after passing the Startline, you can climb in good thermals to any altitude. And if the points are more then 500m the visibility of the Model well be the Problem. Some Euro Pilots are discussing to reduce the distance to 400m because of that!
tunmod is offline Find More Posts by tunmod
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2004
602 Posts
Sorry Folks,
I'm going to cancel the Montague event. I was under the impression you could adjust the legs of the triangle depending on the site.
The 500m triangle will not safely work at Montague.
I know there other sites that will work so please someone give it a go.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:19 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,165 Posts
I would love to see this run as part of the JR Aerotow next June.

What do we need to do to make that happen?

tom
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:40 AM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
What and where is JR Aerotow? Maybe we can organise something that from our side some Pilots are joining this Event and bring Skynavi Systems and we can have a small Startup Competition. But from my Experience it would be better to have a Weekend only for GPS Flying. First have some Theori and then we do some flights together.
BTW: right now many Euro Pilots are selding there 433 MHz Systems, because they want buy the new 2.4GHz. So there are Systems with newest Soft- and Hardware for about USD 800.- (50% of normal Price!) available. PDA with installed Skynav SW included. We allready have sold some Systems to different countrys with upcoming new GPS Pilots.

Ueli
Last edited by tunmod; Nov 08, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:30 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL View Post
Sorry Folks,
I'm going to cancel the Montague event. I was under the impression you could adjust the legs of the triangle depending on the site.
The 500m triangle will not safely work at Montague.
I know there other sites that will work so please someone give it a go.
Regards Dean
Not so fast, Dean!

There is no reason for us to limit ourselves to the current European triangle rules. You need a large, open field to do that and many flying sites just don't allow that.

Shasta, for example, won't support that so the CD (me) is going to modify the course so we can fly a course next year. We'll probably fly a quadrilateral course to suit the long and narrow field.

I think now is the time for us to get creative and try things that will work at US sites. It sounds like the Europeans aren't convinced that the "500 meter size" triangle is the only way to go either.

Full-scale soaring events have Pilot Option Speed Tasks (POST), where the pilot chooses one or more turnpoints, and there is no reason that we can't do that as well.

I'm sure that Christoph would be open to adding features to SkyNavigator,

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:23 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Proposal from my Side:
Why you do not have a first testcompetition according the Euro Rules? So you can see, it does`nt matter if you have 3, 4 or 7 Points! And the Distance of 500m is only for the points, but not where you can fly tactically.
If you doe so, there is everything ready, HW, SW, expirience etc.
Maybe we can help you for this Startup Competition?
If you want to have changes in the Skynavi SW, this is possible of course, but for this and next year Christoph is verry busy with other things. We have made a agreement with him, that we well do not any Change in the SW for 2010/11. We can speak to him, but I`m shure he well not have time.
And a other good thing is the Skyynavigator Challange. See his Website for more informations:
www.Skynavigator.net
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:23 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post

Full-scale soaring events have Pilot Option Speed Tasks (POST), where the pilot chooses one or more turnpoints, and there is no reason that we can't do that as well.

Mike
POST would work but we are talking about having the pilot stay stationary so that limits the leg lengths.

Ten + years ago Dean had a scale aerotow at Montague and we did a XC on Sunday, using the current turnpoints. As I recall JT won and we got second running something like 9 miles flying a Minimoa. Lots of fun. We could go that route.

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:32 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLGNut View Post
POST would work but we are talking about having the pilot stay stationary so that limits the leg lengths.

Ten + years ago Dean had a scale aerotow at Montague and we did a XC on Sunday, using the current turnpoints. As I recall JT won and we got second running something like 9 miles flying a Minimoa. Lots of fun. We could go that route.

- Bob -
I was suggesting POST with the pilots stationary but should have been more clear.

Ueli makes a very good point. Maybe just keep it super simple until we get some experience under out belts and then discuss any changes.

Personally, $800 for the average US pilot, scale or not, is still a lot of money and I know that it can be done less expensively, like in the sub $500 US range.

Maybe I'm just cheap,

Mike
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:36 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Yes, new 2.4 GHz systems are Cheaper. But the PDA and SW (USD 90.-) costs allready USD 500.-
The Hardware can be made cheaper then Skynavigator, I`m shure! Or you can find used PDA`s like we do sometimes.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:41 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunmod View Post
Proposal from my Side:
Why you do not have a first testcompetition according the Euro Rules? So you can see, it does`nt matter if you have 3, 4 or 7 Points! And the Distance of 500m is only for the points, but not where you can fly tactically.
If you doe so, there is everything ready, HW, SW, expirience etc.
Maybe we can help you for this Startup Competition?
If you want to have changes in the Skynavi SW, this is possible of course, but for this and next year Christoph is verry busy with other things. We have made a agreement with him, that we well do not any Change in the SW for 2010/11. We can speak to him, but I`m shure he well not have time.
And a other good thing is the Skyynavigator Challange. See his Website for more informations:
www.Skynavigator.net
Ueli,

We would definitely like your help. Several of us have discussed going to Spain next year for the GPS Cup contest.

The JR Aero Tow event, which is the largest scale aerotow events in the United States, would be a great place for a lot of pilots to get introduced to this style of flying and competition. Here is a link to this year's event:

http://www.hangar-9.com/Articles/Art...ArticleID=1906

Look forward to hearing more from you. If language is a barrier to posting more information, I'm sure we can find some people to help translate.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Last edited by yyz; Nov 08, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
I try to write for you in my best English, hope it`s understandable
For me it would be great, to meet some of you personally to fly together. This can be in your Country, but should be in February/March 2011. Later our season is starting again and I`m busy with that. Or you`re travelling to Spain the week before the Competition. Many Pilots well join the week before to do some practice. And we can help you. But I think it would be better to have some experience before travelling.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:51 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Yes, new 2.4 GHz systems are Cheaper. But the PDA and SW (USD 90.-) costs allready USD 500.-
The Hardware can be made cheaper then Skynavigator, I`m shure! Or you can find used PDA`s like we do sometimes.
That's where the disconnect is. Those PDAs don't cost $400 US in the United States. I picked one up used for around $200 so that, along with the Sky Navigator software, is less than $300 US for the ground piece.

Mike

ps: your English is fine, by the way
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:54 PM
Ueli Nyffenegger
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Here the price for a new iPAQ 114 is about USD 450.-!!! So may we have to buy in the US! Used are arround USD 100.- to USD 200.-.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:59 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Here the price for a new iPAQ 114 is about USD 450.-!!! So may we have to buy in the US! Used are arround USD 100.- to USD 200.-.
Contact me directly via personal message or michaeldeleo <at> me <dot> com and I'll try and help you with this.

Mike