HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Discussion
Scale gps triangle race

We will be hosting a scale aerotow XC race using the GPS Triangle method popular in Europe.

This will NOT be a scale aerotow (funfly). Those attending must be competing. There are plenty on aerotows to go to and not many competitions.

It will be a Friday practice Saturday and Sunday race in the later half of July 2011.

Perhaps three classes- Vintage, 1/4 scale, 1/3 scale depending on the entrants.

Max entrants 20.

Start asking questions so we can find the answers together as this is something new to me.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:28 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,699 Posts
Dean, I'll be happy to consult with the folks running this in Europe: http://www.gps-eurocup.ch. For now, I'll see if they have 2011 dates set already. Maybe, if you slotted your date in between two of theirs, one or the other European pilot may be interested in attending.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Dieter,
This all got started when John Ellias and I observed Rick Shelby fly his 1/3 Ventus at Visalia. I knew I had to try it.
Because you fly in a defined area I felt that this could be done at Montague.
I asked Rick to come up with time period when it would least conflict with other events. His choice was later July early August. Last year there was no flying because of fires so I'm thinking of July.
That's not alot of flexibilty and the event calander is filling up fast so a firm date needs to be decided soon.

Regards Dean
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,566 Posts
Dean,
Please try to avoid the Nats dates (July 10-17). Would improve my chances of coming up with the K8.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Jim,
I added the vintage class as I remembered how well you and your Ka 8 did years ago.

Let's make it July 29 practice. July 30-31 contest. Any objections?

Regards Dean
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:57 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,699 Posts
Obviously, open summer dates are hard to come by. I'll see what I can deliver on short notice.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:33 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,408 Posts
Excellent Dean! I look forward to it. Any thoughts about having an "Unlimited" class where you just bring what ya got (TD, XC, F3B/F/J, etc)? Might broaden the reach a bit.

Mike
yyz is online now Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean - TP definition via GPS downlink to PDA or visual?
1/3 scale would not stand up to my 4.2M ASW
Please provide more details - and what assistance you might require so I can review and plan accordingly.

You're the greatest
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:25 PM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
This time around will be scale only. Less is more as I don't know what I'm doing and winging it with other folks help. That being said I would love to see how a MXC would stack up. I guess we need one XC ship!

Downlink via GPS. Will have loaner units available, hopefully two units.

I'm doing this because I feel it is the only aerotow venue that can be done safely at Montague and I think the event has a great future.

If you have a smaller scale glider you must move up to the next higher scale.
3.5 flys against 1/3. 1/5 flys against 1/4. Lots to work out.

Regards Dean
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:56 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN GRADWELL View Post
This time around will be scale only. Less is more as I don't know what I'm doing and winging it with other folks help.
Roger that. I'm sure it will be as great or better than every other event you put together.

Mike
yyz is online now Find More Posts by yyz
Old Nov 02, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean,

Crystal clear now - Let me know what you need help with!
Do you have the scoring spreadsheet S/W yet?
When will you plot the course coordinates - do you need help with that?
No-Fly-Zone - Nice if the RTD could send a warning to the pilot if the vertical plane is broken.
Each group by aircraft size (range) is an excellent start
But still kept at the fun level
Spicer has his MXC setup for AeroTow we can make him the Guinnea pig
Mr. Weaver was working on a cost effective alturnative to the euro unit, but is on the back burner. I think this event will escalate interest and sales.
Ralph if you are read this hint hint
Iphone App downlink, Android code already exists hummmm more toys - heh heh
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Dean - One other thing - planning for the installation of the unit?
Do you have any data on the size and weight?
This would help me in the organization of the cockpit area and antenna routing etc....

TIA
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:51 AM
Indianapolis, IN USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,305 Posts
I've got a GPS sending data to a laptop and displaying the flight path. I haven't done more yet because I'm not sure using a laptop is the way to go. Battery life, size, cost, poor readability in sunlight are all issues.

I don't really like the PDA either. It's expensive, hard to see in sunlight, not really useful for anything else.

The iPad might work, but it doesn't have USB input for the GPS data, is a bit expensive and is not readable in direct sunlight. I'd rather do an Android pad when they come out. Android is easier to develop and the USB is more versatile.

I'm really excited about the new Kindle Development Kit. You can now develop custom software for the Kindle. I don't know if the USB port will read GPS data, but it's cheap at $139 and very readable in direct sunlight and the battery life is great.

Some other issues to solve, how to get the scores sent back to a main scoring computer? Hand typed, USB drive,...?

Maybe I'll start looking into this a bit more if the interest is there.
Ralph Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Weaver
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Ralph,
I think the interest will be there. In fact both Montague cross country contests next year will most likely will be International events.

Regards Dean
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:14 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
734 Posts
This is great news for scale soaring! Hope the technicals and logistics get worked out so they will be easily implemented for the rest of the US. Thanks, Dean, for bird-dogging this first event.
Also, thanks to the "techies" for developing the existing GPS race technology for the US market! Looking forward to the reports.
Asher
Asher Carmichael is online now Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael