Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
Chris
United States, NY, Fort Drum
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
Build Log
Model Shipways Miss Adventure

Hello everyone,
New to this forum and new to modeling boats. I thought for my first attempt I would try the Miss Adventure, by Model Shipways. This will be my first ever build, so I am expecting flaws but still finding the process enjoyable. Any advice is always welcome. I am currently involved in military schooling as well, so this may take awhile, but no worries. My build area is also limited, but making the best of what I have on hand.

ssg.perkins is online now Find More Posts by ssg.perkins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
Weare NH
Joined Nov 2007
502 Posts
that was my frist build my stepdad bought two one for each to do as a contest to see the better build
Bob Big
Bob Bighinatti is offline Find More Posts by Bob Bighinatti
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:36 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum.I recently built that boat. Be careful with the mahogany planking because there is just enough to cover the hull. I could never get the hinges for the hatches to line up and stick to the frame rails. I glued the hatches together with the hinges on them and made the whole thing lift off. Looks fine. Another thing you'll find is there is no place in the boat to put battery packs. I raised the seat and two 7.2v Nicd packs slide right underneath. There were a few other small annoyances but I don't recall what. Oh yes, put some cross braces on the middle of a few frames. If you look at the build there is nothing that supports the two sidees of the frames but the very weak butt joints of the two frame halves.
All in all it makes a sharp looking boat and runs very well with the included motor and hardware. Faster than I would have guessed.
Good luck and I'll give you any help I can.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,598 Posts
Lookin' good Sarge!

Welcome to the forums.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
Chris
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
With my skill I may be looking for more mahogany... Ill make sure I have enough before I do the top. I also planned on making to top hatch one piece. I did notice some of the frames were not so secure. Ill look into that once all the stringers are laid. As far as the battery goes, do you think there would be enough room to suspend it above the motor? I was thinking about making some sort of frame to hold it...
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,602 Posts
I'd be afraid the center of gravity might be too high with the batteries above the motor. The boat skips sideways in turns and you might dig a chine and be upside down. I've done that in a real racing boat years ago. The two battery packs fit nicely under the raised floor. I said seat but meant floor before.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:38 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bighinatti View Post
that was my frist build my stepdad bought two one for each to do as a contest to see the better build
Bob Big
So who won?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:18 AM
Sofiemyr, Norway
Joined Jan 2008
57 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of a real one for inspiration. A windscreen has been added for protection along with raised motor hatches. This boat resides in a Swedish museum. Another source for inspiration is the book "Cutwater" by Robert Bruce Duncan that includes some really nice pictures of this Bruce Crandell designed 91 cubic inch class racer.
Steggen is offline Find More Posts by Steggen
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:20 AM
Chris
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
Thank you for the pictures. I like that paint scheme and the dash on the panel. Something I may have to replicate. Ill look into that book too. Sounds interesting.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:39 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,570 Posts
I like the champagne cork for a key float!

Don't be afraid to detail the dash, even if you have to carve the shiny bits out by hand... that's exactly what Jack Kipfer does for his boats... hand sawn, filed, polished... yikes.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
Chris
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
What kind of rudder is that? I like that look much better than the one offered in the kit.

And that model is amazing. If it weren't sitting on a countertop, I wouldn't be able to tell it was a model from the last photo.
Last edited by ssg.perkins; Oct 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:49 AM
Chris
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
Judging from the detail on the rest of the model, from what I can see, it is probably scratch built.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:57 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,090 Posts
Don't know whether they are still there or not but at one time there were hobby shops in Enterprize and Dothan in addition to the one on post. But that was a long time ago.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:11 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,570 Posts
Jack scratches EVERYthing he makes.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:22 PM
Chris
Joined Jun 2010
119 Posts
I searched the forums for other projects by Jack, and ... wow. I will have to save some of those pictures as a reference.

I actually went out on a hobby shop search yesterday, and to no avail. It seems that all the local shops couldn't compete with the availability of online products. Either that, or there just isn't enough interest in the area to keep local shops open. I found listings for 4 shops in the area, 2 in Dothan, 1 in Enterprise and one in the middle. After driving to Dothan, I made a few calls, and all the numbers are disconnected. One of the shops had its grand opening last year, and I see they are already out of business. I'm sure though that there are other people in the area with the same interest. I will just have to do a bit more research. Maybe I can find a local club. As far as the hobby shop on post goes, I know they have wood working equipment as well as an auto shop. I will look into that more next week.