HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:54 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
948 Posts
Discussion
42" Flight Streak

Hey Guys,

I have three 1960's,Top Flight 42" Flight Streak kits, still in the original boxes.Along with a Fox 36 BBC.L. Engine.

My friend was a Comander in the Navy and use to fly them on the Carrier when he wasn't flying in the F14.

I use to fly Contol Line when I was a kid, but that was before dirt.

I recently started fling Discus Launch Gliders. But I've been thinking about these three planes in their boxes.

Would it be worth building them. Or would it be better to get something new?
Like I said I haven't flown contol line since I was a kid and I know the technology has really changed. So I don't even know where to begin.

I also thought about building one and converting it into an electric RC.

What do you think? Should I just sell them to someone that would like an original still in the box, or build them.

Not to take away from Hand Control, because that was my love as a kid. But I really like flying Gliders. However it would be nice to have something else to fly also.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:42 PM
Indy3D flyer
westside of Indianapolis IN
Joined Jan 2003
249 Posts
From a financial standpoint, I am sure there would be a decent market for those kits from a collector standpoint. They are still decent planes to fly though as is the engine you have. There are a number of ARFs and kits available if you wanted something different. I primarily fly 3D planes and helis but I still love to get some of my old CL combat planes out from time to time. Most of my "old " stuff was prime equipment from the mid '80s. I keep looking at doing something similar with electric power and maybe even lighted for night flying.

Matt
basmntdweller is offline Find More Posts by basmntdweller
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
I'd build one and sell two. The kits go for big bucks these days. Or better yet, sell all three and use the money to get a ARF Flite Steak from Tower. They are 50 bucks and have EVERYTHING except the engine. The kits are collector items these days and should sell for more than 50 bucks each

Heres the Tower ARF.
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:31 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
Kit

Build one/ save one/ sell one. you get your return back and get to fly one plus have another one to have later.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
He's do better to save one and sell two and use the profit to by the Tower Hobby Arf. he'd save money and effort in the long run. Just the covering today would cost 30 bucks. Tank another 10 and the glues at least 15 more.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:33 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
1) Copy the plans and trace all the parts.

2) Sell the kits. They are collectors items and worth more than you expect.

3) Buy a modern copy of the kit and build that:

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=2561

Or build from scratch from the plans you have from step 1.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:12 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,147 Posts
I'd suggest selling the kits. I've built the Brodak kit. It is as George designed the airplane, and should come out a couple ounces lighter than the TF kit (which I have also built). I'm not into ARF's, so no comment there.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:32 AM
50+CLGUY
Kingston ontario canda
Joined Jul 2005
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
1) Copy the plans and trace all the parts.

2) Sell the kits. They are collectors items and worth more than you expect.

3) Buy a modern copy of the kit and build that:

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=2561

Or build from scratch from the plans you have from step 1.
Yup this the way I'd go.
Dwayne123 is offline Find More Posts by Dwayne123
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
The ARF is an excellent airplane. Flies as well as the original, is well made and and, at 50 bucks, cheaper than you can make one. If you just want to fly a well made model that performs well this is the only way to go. Like I said, at $12.50 a roll for MONO kOTE just the covering would cost between 25 and 35 bucks if you wanted to use the original trim colors. The leading edge balsa would be expensive.

Even the modern kits cost more than 50 bucks and you still need covering, glue and all the hardware.

As far as weight goes, I found the Arf was lighter than the ones I made. Again, you can't make one for the price of the ARF.

I have two ARFs. One with an OS 35S and one with a Johnson Combat Special. The Johnson is too noisy to fly around here. It is a Rocket. The OS has a muffler and is quiet and no one bit*hes about noise.

The other problem with tracing from the plans is they aren't full size and it's kind of hard to trace the shaped leading edge.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:29 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Oh, I forgot to comment on the ARF.

The fuselage is built up on the ARF and is fairly weak. It tends to break.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:23 PM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
364 Posts
The ARF has more than one issue which makes it an inferior choice -

Besides the weak fuselage -

- Motor mounts are weak
- The leadouts and bellcrank are inadequate and have
failed on most of the un-altered versions that I am
aware of
- The fuel tank has a tendency to fall apart -- literally
- The covering is poorly applied or incorrectly applied

I can build a Flite Streak from scratch in much less time and for much less money than it takes to get an ARF flyable.

So I would go along with Pinecone too.
mikeainia is offline Find More Posts by mikeainia
Last edited by mikeainia; Oct 31, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
I have news for you guys. I have had three of them and NEVER had any of the so called problems you seem to have.

The covering job on mine is excellent. The leadouts are braided wire and the bell crank is more than satisfactory. NONE of the fuel tanks have fallen apart or are showing any signs of doing same. The motor mounts are the same as the kit, hardwood blocks between plywood sides. The fuselage is plenty strong. I whacked one into the ground and all that broke was the wing.

Anything breaks if you pound it into the ground.

It took me about three hours one evening to put one together and that was taking my time. There is NO WAY you could build and cover one from scratch in that time. Just cutting and shaping the parts would take longer than that.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:57 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Fuselages have broken without pounding them in the ground.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
Mine ARF didn't and solid ones have. I've done it with Ringmasters, Goldberg Shoestrings and Flitestreaks with solid fuses. My Mongoose broke the fuse in hald about 6 months ago when it hit the ground.

I suppose stepping on them or whacking the opposition on the head would break them, too.

I'd like to see the pictures of all your ARF Flite Streaks. I showed you one of mine.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 12:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
C'mon, let's see the pictures of all these arf's you say you have.