HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:20 AM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Discussion
F4U Corsair

Hi, I have a question about the F4U Corsair. I am a new rc flyer & am presently using the HobbyZone Champ as my first plane. I also have the ClearView simulator that I have been practicing on for hours. After flying the Champ & SuperCub (on the simulator) I started flying the Corsair. I really love this plane & have logged about 25 hrs on the simulator. (My wife is not sure she likes my new hobby but I am retired & loving it..)

Question is, is it too much of a jump to go from the Champ to the Corsair, should I be looking at something like the SuperCub next???? NitroPlanes is having a weekend sale & I am really interested in moving to something bigger.

Thanks for any suggestions &/or comments..
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:04 AM
Bellingham, wa
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
contrary to some i'd say you may do OK, but i would log time with hotter models on the sim, i have the PZ corsair and it is really pretty tame with low control throws, but i've got hundreds of hours of sim time and quite a bit of aileron time on my BLT...i would suggest something like the 55" skytrainer as it is a high wing, again just set teh controls to minimum!! either way they are faster and mistakes happen quickly!! so practice on some pylon racers or something on the SIM!! to me rudder/ele planes are just too boring and an aileron ship with low throws is not much more difficult, but you do have to FLY them, no self righting tendancies...though i can fly my corsair around on rudder nice and scale like
biznak is offline Find More Posts by biznak
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:46 AM
Punching holes in clouds
UK
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
I upgraded from PZ Super Cub to PZ Corsair. Corsair is easy to fly. It's a bit more work to land it than the cub but to be honest it's not that hard. I have yet to damage it at all and I have only been flying since late June this year!!
MatZeRO is offline Find More Posts by MatZeRO
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
the corsair or t-28 would both be good second planes. i second using faster models in the sim, it will help build reaction time and instincts. the super cub is also a good choice as it allows you to fly in a little more wind, and get more wind compensation flying in in trainer form.

all that said, i HIGHLY suggest you invest in a better radio than the champ, preferably something with model memories so you dont have to have so many transmitters around. i suggest getting either the DX6i or the DX7 (10 and 20 model memories respectively) futaba is also good, but since you already have a champ which can bind to the dx6i or the dx7, thats why i suggested those two. that and the fact that hobbyking.com now offers EXTREMELY cheap spektrum compatible recievers (if you buy these from hobby king, put a dab of hot glue where the antenna(s) meet the PCB circuit board - they have a tendency to break there)

if you go with a super cub LP, get the bind and fly version because you can use it with your champ transmitter AND a DX6i or DX7.

another plane to consider, if you think you are up to building with foam, is the "Big Easy". Link
you could probably build that plane for less than 50 bucks, and then with electronics (including a spektrum compatible reciever from hobbyking) from hobbyking, you might be up to around 100 bucks. that big easy plane seems nearly indestructable from the videos on youtube. he cartwheeled it on purpose with almost NO damage, he lands in tall grass on purpose, zero damage there, etc. watch the videos on the link i provided above to see him crash test the plane.
avirnig is offline Find More Posts by avirnig
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:19 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Super Cub

Thanks everyone for your really helpful comments. I guess for my second plane my plan now is to go with the Hobby Zone Super Cub. I like AVIRNIG's suggestion to go with the BNF model with the 2.4 GHz receiver & a DX6i or DX7 radio.

Two questions:
1) From how I read the info, the BNF plane comes with functioning ailerons & the RTF plane only has throttle, elevator & rudder function????

2) The literature for the BNF plane states that "The receiver included in the Super Cub LP BNF is a 2.4GHz DSM2 receiver/ESC unit. It must be partnered with a full range DSM2 transmitter. It is equipped with throttle, elevator, rudder and aileron function." Can I buy/use the DX6i/DX7 (I think so but want to be sure) transmitter or do I need to buy the stated DSM2 transmitter???

Last I just want to say that I am still going to get the F4U Corsair, it is a great plane & so much fun to fly on the simulator. I just hope that real life flying is equally as much fun. This will be my third plane that I will treat myself to next spring... Having 1 radio will be good too. Thanks again,
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:48 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
The BNF cub does not come with ailerons. However, the RX has an aileron channel - so you can add them if you want to cut the wing and add the servos. It's not too hard - first RC mod I did and mine's still flying.
Yes, you can use the DX6i or DX 7 with the BNF cub. Either are a good choice.

People really like the PZ F4U, but that doesn't mean that every F4U is a great flier. Be sure to review the specific one you're looking for and not just price points.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Oct 31, 2010, 06:03 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Papo,

When you decide to get the F4U get the Park Zone version. Nitroplanes is not a bad distributor but their customer service is not the best and replacement parts are lacking. Parts for the PZ F4U are readily available and even though you are becoming proficient you can still expect a crash or two.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1