HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:23 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
300 Posts
Discussion
New doppler speedometer application for windows and android!

Some of you guys might have seen my post in the EDF forum about this upcoming app; well it's here! Basically what it does is automatically find airplane speeds using the really clever sound doppler method that I'm sure you all have seen on these boards at one time or another. With my android app, all you have to do is bring your phone to the field, turn on the app, and make some speed runs overhead and the app will detect and announce the speeds of your airplane!

Features:
- Detects speeds for any electric plane that has a high RPM prop or fan, ie pretty much any pusher, pylon racer, or EDF.
- Announces speeds through the phones navigation voice as they are detected.
- Automatically detects the temperature of your local field using GPS and weather reports for maximum doppler accuracy.
- Records last 10 speeds, and displays last speed and highest speed in big letters on the screen.

Here's a video of the app in action:
RC Speedo for Android Demo (1 min 9 sec)

I also decided to do the community a favor and port something that is basically the same as the android app onto the PC, so anyone with a windows computer can use my software to doppler their planes much easier. I'm hoping this will make everyone's life easier, especially those who don't know how to do doppler analysis using wave-o-scope. For the PC app all you'll need is a youtube video or an MP3 or WAV sound file of a plane making it's flight. The program will play the sound file back and will report any speeds it can find in it with the click of a button. This version definitely still needs a little work so check back for some updates, I'll announce them as they come in this thread.

I've made a simple site that describes both these apps a little better where you can also download the PC app: http://www.rcspeedo.info
neonbjb is offline Find More Posts by neonbjb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:35 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,780 Posts
Nice! Android link doesn't work on your site. Can't wait to try it out!

It's downloading now. Does it work on anything else, like loud gas airplanes or cars?
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:39 PM
Fairbanks Alaska
Joined May 2010
182 Posts
$3.50 was a bit more than I expected, but it does look like a nice app.
unknown flyer is offline Find More Posts by unknown flyer
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:21 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Im downloading it right now and ill see how it go's.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
300 Posts
The android link will only work on your phones browser

It definitely won't work with cars, but might work on gas planes, my problem with nitro and gas is that I couldn't find any videos of them with decent speed passes to try and doppler and I don't know anyone with a gasser if you post a vid or audio clip of one though id be more than glad to get the app working with them. This goes for anyone - if you have a plane the app won't work on please post a video or sound clip here, even if its a 3d plane or something. Id like this app to work with as many planes as possible. Also let me know of any features you guys would like to see!

As for the price, its a limited market, so I felt 3.50 was more or less right..
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Cool!!!
I will have to ask Santa for a new gadget!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I just purchased it! Thanks and I can't wait to use it!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:21 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,780 Posts
Awesome man. I love the fact that you can just pull up youtube videos and hold the phone to the speaker to find out how fast their airplane is going. Sweet. No more file downloads, .wav conversions, and positioning lines. It just works.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
Fairbanks Alaska
Joined May 2010
182 Posts
Nice. I had not thought of that. Though you would have to adjust the temp.
unknown flyer is offline Find More Posts by unknown flyer
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:37 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,780 Posts
If you want to be exact I suppose. Just messing with Bananna Hobbies videos, it looks pretty close. The 50mm F-16 is flying around 50-60, the Mig 29 flies 70-80, the 90mm F18 flies at 101. I'd say that's close enough for government work. lol
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:49 AM
I cant land there!
Anaheim, CA
Joined Jan 2008
300 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm glad you're liking it. One fun thing I've been doing since I developed it is taking my jet out and fine tuning what the best way to make the fastest speed pass it is capable of is. I kind of see it as an easy way to improve your piloting skills, beyond just dopplering your favorite plane.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:50 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,241 Posts
A few features that could be added are altitude correction, and prop rpm. The rpm would be great for helicopter flyers.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:38 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
587 Posts
Any chance of making an app for Blackberry???? I have a BB storm that I still have a year on until I can upgrade and this app it the best thing since sliced bread.
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:16 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I used the app this morning and it was dead on compared to what our $100 doppler program said. I love this app! That said I can now report that the little 50mm T-33 stock flies 51.6 mph straight and level. Time for an upgrade to the power plant. Also we tested it against a Zagi pusher. The doppler numbers on our other program had it at 115 mph and the app said 117 mph. Way to go NEONBJB!

EDIT: Mine was used on a G1 and work fine...
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Last edited by kc135boomer; Oct 31, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:56 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb View Post
Thanks guys, I'm glad you're liking it. One fun thing I've been doing since I developed it is taking my jet out and fine tuning what the best way to make the fastest speed pass it is capable of is. I kind of see it as an easy way to improve your piloting skills, beyond just dopplering your favorite plane.
You've ruined me.
I videoed my jets this weekend and got back home and ran the program.
Clocked my F-100 at 88mph straight and level.
My F-84F had passes of 91 & 104mph. One pass out of a dive was 136mph.

Now, I'll never push the T-streak that hard again.

Great little program!

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_