SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
still trying to get it right
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
I am really sorry that Graupner has so many problems at the moment and I have always been fond of the quality products they have produced but I am astonished at this offering into an already highly competitive market place,whether it works or not only time will tell on that score but from looks alone that tx is a dead duck. It is so 'yesterday' I am sure it will put off buyers in their droves.
yakhakker is offline Find More Posts by yakhakker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:05 PM
Waitin' on a sunny day :)
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
WoW, I'm waiting for that module.

http://www.graupner.de/de/products/8...0/product.aspx
SamoK is offline Find More Posts by SamoK
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:01 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakhakker View Post
from looks alone that tx is a dead duck. It is so 'yesterday' I am sure it will put off buyers in their droves.
Who cares about looks? DX7, JR XG7 and the mx-Versions of Jeti all use the same case. Ergonomically, there is nothing wrong with these transmitters and I am sure you know the saying "form follows function".

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin View Post
Samok,
if it looks like being found in a bin I would stay away:

http://www.graupner.de/de/products/8...tcategory.aspx
I would not judge the quality of the final product by a bad photo of a much used prototype.

Jürgen
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,673 Posts
Quote:
...It is so 'yesterday' I am sure it will put off buyers in their droves.
Lol, the bling-bling generation, if don't shine, black, and no touch screen, it must be a bad product.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:50 AM
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Who cares about looks? DX7, JR XG7 and the mx-Versions of Jeti all use the same case.

Jürgen
Jurgen that's exactly my point, and my phrasing was correct this sets styling has been done to death. It's not about ergonomics that I am commenting on as I am sure its probably fine in this department. 'who cares about looks?' well for success in most products style is one of the most important selling points and todays consumer demands it. Graupner has always commanded good respect from me and I have owned radio from them in the past (mx22) and built several planes and bought many accessories all were of good quality and I mentioned that in my post. I do not have a problem with Graupner, in fact the opposite. BUT, They will have a great deal more of an uphill struggle to market this set than they would have if it had a redesigned case.

Renatoa, Bling bling generation? I am 62 years old but I do have a good command of the English language and try to keep with the modern idiom, you need to get out more
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:22 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
BUT, They will have a great deal more of an uphill struggle to market this set than they would have if it had a redesigned case.
I would not be too sure about that. The mx-12 and mx-16 have probably been bestsellers in the Graupner TX range. The software is still up-to-date. All those who just want to move from 35 MHz to 2.4 GHz can upgrade their existing mx-12/16 by buying the HF-module:

#33301 HF-Module for mx-12 and mx-16

or buy a new HoTT set without having to adapt to a different TX feeling (and use the old TX for a buddy-box or simulator flying).

Jürgen
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:07 PM
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Quote:
I would not be too sure about that. The mx-12 and mx-16 have probably been bestsellers in the Graupner TX range. The software is still up-to-date. All those who just want to move from 35 MHz to 2.4 GHz can upgrade their existing mx-12/16 by buying the HF-module:

#33301 HF-Module for mx-12 and mx-16

or buy a new HoTT set without having to adapt to a different TX feeling (and use the old TX for a buddy-box or simulator flying).

Jürgen
So what you are saying then is that Graupner is primarily looking for their customers to buy upgrade modules rather than a new set, mmm not a very clever marketing ploy.and if they do want to get a new set then buy another one the same because its 'comfy', Even i'm not that gullible. Incidentally,if you had not noticed the casing on the 12/16 is the same as the Spektrum 7 but Graupner have not even bothered to dress it up to make it their own ,in fact the opposite. Not very inspiring to anyone looking to buy the latest in R/C technology is it? which is where I came in.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:07 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
So what you are saying then is that Graupner is primarily looking for their customers to buy upgrade modules rather than a new set, mmm not a very clever marketing ploy.and if they do want to get a new set then buy another one the same because its 'comfy', Even i'm not that gullible.
Graupner has always touted their radios as being upgradeable and expandable, versus the planned obsolescence approach that others use. That is one reason I purchased an MX-24, they can be updated to be kept current. They are supporting their current customers as well as trying to attract new ones.

Quote:
Incidentally,if you had not noticed the casing on the 12/16 is the same as the Spektrum 7 but Graupner have not even bothered to dress it up to make it their own ,in fact the opposite. Not very inspiring to anyone looking to buy the latest in R/C technology is it? which is where I came in.
They are the same because JR manufactures the hardware for both. And Graupner is the latest in technology, their programming is hands down better than what Spektrum has to offer in the DX-7. Not to mention the MX-16 is 8 channel, versus 7 for the DX-7.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
So what you are saying then is that Graupner is primarily looking for their customers to buy upgrade modules rather than a new set, mmm not a very clever marketing ploy.
That is not what I said. Graupner gives current mx-12/16 users the option to upgrade their existing systems, or buy a new HoTT set and use their old TX for buddy-buddy flying or for simulator flying. It is beneficial to have the same tx on the simulator as you use for flying and you don't wear out the stick potentiometers of your "primary tx".

New customers can of course go straight to the mx-12/16 HoTT, while current mx-12/16 or mx-16 iFS customers will have to wait until HoTT HF-modules are available.

Jürgen
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
Graupner is the latest in technology, their programming is hands down better than what Spektrum has to offer in the DX-7. Not to mention the MX-16 is 8 channel, versus 7 for the DX-7.
The new JR XG7 with telemetry should also be up-to-date regarding technology, but the Graupner software is still "top-notch":

Three flight phases for each model, three clocks (one automatically counts total tx time since last charge), assignable switches etc.

Jürgen
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:35 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
The new JR XG7 with telemetry should also be up-to-date regarding technology, but the Graupner software is still "top-notch":
Jürgen
Thats why I bought one, it was one of the few radios out there that would do what my old Futaba 9Z would do. And it does it much more intuitively. Its a shame Graupner products are not more readily available here, I have a Taxi Cup and it has become my go-to flier. The thing is a thrill to fly and a top notch kit.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
benelux
Joined Feb 2009
680 Posts
Jurgen, stop throwing curved balls,my original comment referred to the aesthetics of the set which I feel is dated and just plain cheap looking,I have not slagged off the internals at any time so why do you think you have to keep telling me how wonderful they are?.Also I have already said it umpteen times I like Graupner products and have never had cause to complain about them.So why keep telling me what I already know?. I am entitled to an opinion as much as you as far as I am concerned I made a fairly innocuous remark which was my view and if it offends you then please explain how? now before you go off on one read my original post,properly.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:45 PM
Waitin' on a sunny day :)
Slovenia
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Why don't you guys already stop arguing and rather tell something smart and useful, what I think, interested most who read this topic - HoTT system, it's working, etc.?

Just my suggest.
SamoK is offline Find More Posts by SamoK
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:57 PM
slope addict
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
versus the planned obsolescence approach that others use.
That is actually a very good argument

Saw this really good TV-documentary the other day called "Pyramids of waste" that looked into the consept of planned obselescence. Allthough we know this from personal experience, it was a eyeopener to see how widespread it is.
torgust is offline Find More Posts by torgust