HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by spitfire_Doug, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:31 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
probs about 30%. Just dont have it behind it, or it will be very pitch sensitive.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:45 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
Pappy, that looks great man!! I like your modification to the nose wheel, might have to copy that . Also the H tail looks good to, will be interested in hearing how it goes for you. Your right about the front nose wheel on paddock landings. Last weekend I came in pretty hot and made a mess of my landing, wingtips hitting the ground and pushing up a mountain of dirt with the front nose wheel which bent and rotated 90 degs. However the plane was fine and not even a min later, back in the air. I would post some Vid up but my recorder failed to work all day .

Yeah I fibreglassed my Vtail too because I had one break off in flight, Hopefully will never happen again.

A heads up on the C/G, mine is directly on the spar for the wing, and It flies like this but will drop a wing VERY easly. Not so good for Autopilot use. Im going to put another 3s 5000mah up the front from now on and see if its any better.

Regards

Doug
Droping a wing easily means tail heavy right?
So you will have 3 3cell bricks total 15000mah? WOW!!!!
I guess your final AUW will be arround 4,7 kgr right?
I am planing aa 550kva swinging 15x8 wooden prop
80A ESC and 2 4cell 5000mah to start with!!!

Oh!!! the update is that i chopped a bit more the ruders because they where very big relative to the rest of the fuselage.
Imagine that the yellow part showing on the photos is missing.
pappy69 is offline Find More Posts by pappy69
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
just weighed mine and it weighs 3345g RTF with no OSD/AP yet, but with everything else included.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post19627421
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Cant wait to see them fly. Both very close now .

Really interested in seeing how that camera dome goes. Why dont you make an acrillic cover for the slot?

Regards

Doug
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:58 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
Cant wait to see them fly. Both very close now .

Really interested in seeing how that camera dome goes. Why dont you make an acrillic cover for the slot?

Regards

Doug
its on the to do list, but i need to find the right material for it first - it needs to be VERY clear.
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Acrilic is pretty good with cameras. Why not make it so the piece is attached to the camera and it moves within the dome. That way the camera doesnt have to look through it and you still have good aerodynamics. It just needs to be curved right.

Doug
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:58 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Hehehe!! My solution will be also clear cd cover piece. The only dissadvantage is that it can't be bend !!! but again an idea from the military project is good.
Look at the picture to get an idea.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:46 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
774 Posts
hi everyone
Are the wings and/or the tail booms removable for transportation?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Yep. Both wings can come off with the tail.

Doug
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:03 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
774 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I ve been watching your posts the last weeks (yours, i3dm and pappy) and i think i will get me one too (it's too cute to resist)

Do you need high speed digital servos, to use an OSD with stabilization (like we do for gyros and helis) or are the standard servos (like your 9gr hextronic) ok?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
Hey doug,

Have you seen any difference with 3 x 4cell lipo's?\
I flew mine a couple of times (the first one was a bit scary as the plane was tail heavy. In the second flight i added another 100gr to the nose and it was flying like a dream. Very predictable although that it needs absolutely expo otherwise it looks like very sensitive. I usually fly my planes without expo but this is a must in this case.
17x6 draws 42A static and 18-20 during flight. I needed like 4/6 of the throttle for a long throttle management flight but the weight is 4.5kgr so i don't think it will fly more than 40 minutes.
About the CG i tried 1,5cm front of the spar and it looks like its the perfect spot.
As you already mentioned at the begging of your thread the Landing Gear need fortification. I tried something for the first few flights but as i wasn't flying on tarmac the plane bunched during take of and the 17x6 (long enough!!!) left some 1,5cm on each side on the ground!!
I squeeze my head where i can get some weight of but i can't really imagine that bird flying with less than 4 kgr.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Awesome Pappy!! I havnt got a chance to fly mine with the 4s yet but am hopefull for tomorrow. Hmm I dont use any expo on mine. It is pretty sensitive but not over the top. Maybe your modifyed tail has something to do with that. What speed where you doing at 19 Amp? Mine will easly go down to about 12-15 amps and do 50kmh. Not sure on my total TOW but it would be pretty close to yours Id say. 1.5cm in front, consider that copied .

The undercarrage isnt too hard to mod like mine, you really only need a rack saw and a drill. and some pop rivits.

I cant see mine being any liter either. its borderline on the C/G as it is and theres not really much to remove from the rear.

Cant wait to see some flight recording (Hint ) Glad it worked for you.

Regards

Doug
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
well actually i was thinking of replacing this alum motor base with something lighter like long screws with teflon tube at the right length and use the metal cross-base of the motor in order to gain some weight. My motor base is easily 200gr i think
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Yeah thats pretty heavy. Mine is a plywood box i made. Probably weighs under 100g. Hopefully a flight in a couple of hours.

Regards

Doug
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanos Papantonopoulos
Edessa, Greece
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
hope you got a flight record form ground to see how the plane behaves!!