HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:23 AM
Old Timer
USA, AZ, Payson
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Discussion
GEE BEE 33" floats for sale

I have a set of these NIB for sale in the "airplanes, fuel For sale/wanted' section for $30. They are plastic and are not the scale EDO looking ones.
av8djc is offline Find More Posts by av8djc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:09 AM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
829 Posts
I won a set of GeeBee floats at a fun-fly once. We speculated that second prize was TWO sets.
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2008
377 Posts
I had a set on a Andrew's A-ray and they worked fine off of water and not just snow. I know a lot of people have a hard time with them but I never did. The A-Ray had an OS 25 ABC on it so it was no slouch but it was not way overpowered either. It still got off the water just fine. It flew a few times at the Brimfield MA float fly. I just purchased another A-Ray kit and I'm going to build it again as a float plane this time powered with a 4-stroke. I think the 33's are too big for this plane but I will look. I might get back to you.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Last edited by chistech; Oct 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
You know if you put the ad here, you have to give them away for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCasey View Post
I won a set of GeeBee floats at a fun-fly once. We speculated that second prize was TWO sets.
I never win anything.
Interesting, as I wasn't aware of GeeBee float planes. I think my Herr GeeBee R2 conversion will stay without floats however. It's challenging enough to fly as it is.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:35 AM
Old Timer
USA, AZ, Payson
Joined Dec 2008
184 Posts
Gee, I just thought I was doing someone a service in calling it to his/hers attention Open to offers by a PM with your zip for shipping purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1post View Post
You know if you put the ad here, you have to give them away for free.

I never win anything.
Interesting, as I wasn't aware of GeeBee float planes. I think my Herr GeeBee R2 conversion will stay without floats however. It's challenging enough to fly as it is.
av8djc is offline Find More Posts by av8djc
Old Oct 30, 2010, 02:22 PM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
The full scale GeeBee racers were not float planes...just a point of information for those not familiar with the subject...no offense meant.
GeeBee is/was a seperate entity. They made a couple of sizes of grey blow molded floats that were merely OK...nothing to rave about.
They had one twin float plane and two others that were based on using a single float for the bottom part of the hull. The top of the hull was balsa and used leather fillets to blend it into the plastic float. One was the 'Islander', which had twin booms to which the tail feathers were attached.The other was called the 'Mallard', a conventional flying boat design. They were designed to fly with .19-.25 glow engines.
Both utilized full displacement ( dixie cup ) tip floats similar to the Lake/ Thurston design.
I had the 'Mallard' powered by a Merco .35 that performed well enough.
The basic GeeBee float design had rounded chines and a mediocre vertical flange mounting system. They tended to 'stick' to the water then break loose quickly.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Last edited by Art Schmitz; Oct 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Qualification of first sentence.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8djc View Post
Gee, I just thought I was doing someone a service in calling it to his/hers attention Open to offers by a PM with your zip for shipping purposes.
Giving things away for free is an excellent service. I quit putting things up however, as it seems to cause major issues with the jealous types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Schmitz View Post
The full scale GeeBee racers were not float planes.
Is that right?
It was meant as a joke. They would be quite impractical, although comical looking.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Last edited by 1post; Oct 30, 2010 at 06:48 PM.