HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:13 AM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Jul 2001
463 Posts
Discussion
Parrot AR.Drone range extension, need help from antenna gurus.

So I recently purchased an AR.Drone. I actually like it a lot but it's greatest weakness is poor range. We're talking maybe 100ft LOS. I'm trying to figure out how improve this.
  • At first I though I could just use a commercially available repeater or DD-WRT but I cannot find anything that will repeat or bridge an ADHOC wifi connection. Any ideas?
  • Then I was looking for some sort of analog wifi transceiver. Something that just receives and boosts the analog signal itself. In from one antenna and out from another. Still haven't found something that does that.
  • Then I was thinking about some sort of passive antenna. Like a parabolic reflector with the iphone in the center. I know it sounds silly but I'm getting desperate here. Can you connect two dishes together with one pointing at the AR.drone and one pointing at the iphone?

I know there's lots of network and antenna gurus on here and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
g00bd0g is offline Find More Posts by g00bd0g
Last edited by g00bd0g; Oct 29, 2010 at 02:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:13 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,294 Posts
I can't find it now, but there is a template you can print out called a "wave rider" that could help. The real issue is that you are trying to control with a cell phone instead of a rc radio. Make sure you hold the phone in the same orientation as the helicopter's antenna.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2010, 06:14 PM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Jul 2001
463 Posts
Just to be clear. The AR.Drone is controlled via 2.4ghz 802.11 network connection. The Drone acts as an "adhoc" wireless node.
g00bd0g is offline Find More Posts by g00bd0g
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:21 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
They advertise 160 feet here. I didnt know Horizon sold them.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...t_Drone_110120

I'd prob install a different rx and fly it normal.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:29 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
In the multi rotor forum there is a thread about fitting regular rc gear in the AR drone to extend the range.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335257
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove