HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:04 AM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
It is bad business and I'll explain why

Anyone who now searches for Banana Hobby before they choose to buy a plane will find many forums on the web that are well indexed by Google etc that complain about problems and poor customer support.

They will therefore be wary about placing an order with them.

To counteract this loss of business, Banana Hobbies will need to lower their prices so that people think that although the customer service was bad, the prices are so low that they will take a chance.

Thus they have to price everything at a minimum profit margin in order to stay in business. If you offer better customer service and quality control then you can charge a premium price for your products and people will still buy based upon recommendation.

I'd rather pay an extra 10% and get the service and aftersales parts support from a professional, quality focused company.
steveclv is offline Find More Posts by steveclv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:08 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
That is why i personally go sometimes with slightly higher pricing companies of which i KNOW the goods will arrive, the communication is impeccable and the service if something does go wrong, is ultra high. Why? because they CARE.

KM

BTW, rgd1065, you say you ordered the BBD scheme from HSW ? it is not even on their site !

http://shop.hobbyshopwarehouse.com/E...RBIRDS_c27.htm
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Jan 19, 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:19 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,212 Posts
isn't the Starmax Gun Fighter identical to the BH one except the retractable tail wheel?

Banana Hobby
http://www.bananahobby.com/2128.html

Wingspan: 1600mm (63 inch)
Length: 1400mm (55 inch)
Flying Weight: 2700g (5.9 lbs)
Drive System: Brushless OutRunner KV400 Motor
Propeller: 4-Paddle
Speed Controller: 70A Brushless ESC w/ BEC
Servo: 4X 9g and 2X 17g
Retract: Servoless retracts
Battery: 14.8V 3200mah 25C Li-Polymer (not included)
EPO
Scale navigation night-flight LED lights

Starmax
http://www.hawkwere.com/productshow.asp?id=85

ST-P04
with flaps and retracts
EPO
Wingspan:1600mm (63 inch)
Length:1400mm (55 inch)
Flying weight:2700g (5.9 lbs)
Motor: 4558 out runner motor KV400
ESC:70A
Servo:4pcs*9G,, 2pcs*17G
Battery:14.8V-3700mAh-25C
Main wing with LED
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Last edited by HuffDaddy; Jan 19, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
Agoura Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2006
389 Posts
I just received my "Dear Valued Customer" email stating that their shipment has been further delayed and expect it now on January 24. They gave me the option of switching my order to something in stock or waiting for them to fulfill my original order. I guess it's a good thing I'm a "valued customer".
sharkbyte is offline Find More Posts by sharkbyte
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:24 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Huff Daddy,

yes, they are the same, but BH always likes to invent non existing manufacturers somehow... why, i do not know, may be a tax related thing... just like the FMS plane which they call airfield..............

Weirdos.

KM

@ sharkbyte.......the valued bit of your consumership is your credit card.
Last edited by kusunokimasahige; Jan 19, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
That is why i personally go sometimes with slightly higher pricing companies of which i KNOW the goods will arrive, the communication is impeccable and the service if something does go wrong, is ultra high. Why? because they CARE.

KM

I totally agree. The root of the problem is that BH holds the exclusive resale rights for many attractive aircraft, jets in particular, unavailable anywhere else (Except places like HSW, which looks even worse than BH, if you read what they've done to the foamy EDF section of this forum).

If someone else with a favorable reputation in the United States (Like Nitroplanes, HL, or Tower, for instance) sold the same jets for $20-$30 more, I would happily send them my money. However, since I don't have that option for models like the LX Twin F-22, their B-2 stealth bomber, or this P-51, my hands are tied. As I mentioned previously, prior to this purchase my results had been good with them lately.

It really looks like 95% of the sales at BH are made because they are the only game in town for a lot of items. I'd venture to say they can't even begin to compete with other companies on items readily available elsewhere. They're almost completely dependent on exclusive offerings produced overseas for a simple resale nobody else out here is allowed to freely do- Although as Pete will tell you, BH is "significantly involved" in the development of each exclusive, and it is through his hard work in development that these planes - eventually - reach our doors.

I can't comment intelligently on how true this may or may not actually be, nor can I say with any degree of confidence whether or not his inputs are mission-critical to the development of the products in question. It certainly seems like they pay for the right to deprive you of options - Pete is not on Starmax payroll (That I know of) and as such should not be designing the P-51. Additionally, overseas customers of establishments like PW-RC and Ready2Fly have full access to the very same planes that BH places restrictions on for American sales.

In some cases, like their big BlitzRCWorks (Starmax) 90mm F-4 Phantom EDF that used woefully under-powered nylon 9g servos to control a large flying surface (elevator), it would seem he may be doing more harm than good with the "Research and Development" aspect. Oversights like this produced many recorded elevator failures at high speed, directly contributing to crashes.

Another example is the BlitzRCWorks (J-Power) P-38 Lightning, which had an astonishing failure rate for the retractable landing gear. I personlly greased every landing with that plane and it still cracked within two days of flying on smooth pavement. I suspect he makes recommendations and concessions regarding the power systems and such, with a careful eye toward the price he intends to sell at (i.e. use cheap servos in order to offset a screaming power set and still offer it under $XXX). Just to be clear - This is total educated speculation on my part, nothing more.

My question is - If Pete and co. are responsible for perfecting the planes, why do so many arrive with glaring issues like these, stock right out of the box? I'd like to see some more value-added services from BH in the future, and perhaps this P-51 delay is a form of that - I'll be interested to see how it unfolds.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Well my issues with some of the US based companies is their unwillingness to ship to Europe. Some do, some dont. That is why i often revert to China itself, or find retailers who can give me a fair price for a fair model. Some have excellent service.

I ordered a loose 109 fuselage etc from a company in germany who do Pz birds, shipping was quick, but the fuselage missed the exhaust stacks and the plastic holders for the stabilizer (manufacturing fault). I wrote them and Horizon and whithin a week i had the items. Free of charge.
That is what i call service. So they are on my fav seller list already.

KM
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
If someone else with a favorable reputation in the United States (Like Nitroplanes, HL, or Tower, for instance) sold the same jets for $20-$30 more, I would happily send them my money. However, since I don't have that option for models like the LX Twin F-22, their B-2 stealth bomber, or this P-51, my hands are tied. As I mentioned previously, prior to this purchase my results had been good with them lately.
Nitroplanes has alot of people on RCGroups unhappy. Their CS has gone in the crapper. I have been waiting almost two months now on what they have found out about a bad ESC/Motor I sent back Dec 1 even though I was told a new motor/esc would be shipped once they had mine in hand. I still don't know anything other then I have been told they got and are looking into the problem. And I am not alone. There are alot of threads popping up about their CS and how its not even there anymore.
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:19 AM
GLF4-SP Driver
USA, TX, North Richland Hills
Joined Dec 2009
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylight99 View Post
I can't explain it. There one min, gone the next. It had a delivery date of the 21st and now its not in the UPS system. Oh well, I have spent way too much time on this, I will get it when I get it.
That seems to be the way it is with some of these vendors. Too bad there are these planes that are wanted and we can't seem to get reliable vendors to get them to us.

I got a quote from a website for 4 Starmax P-51's, with TX and all for $195.00 apiece or $130 without. Told me I could get them in 7 days and how many did I want. (minimum of 4). Maybe we should start a co-op, get all of us together that want them and buy the damn things ourselves. Here is the email:

Dear Rob,

P51 price:
RTF which everthing is inlcuded USD195/one
PNP, RTF without tx & rx, charger or battery USD130/one

Our MOQ is 4pcs for each item.Our regular delivery time is 7days after receiving the payment

Pls confirm with us how many do you want?

Best Regards
Rainbow

I am sick of the ty service. Co-op and cut the middle man out, along with the excuses.
rgd1065 is offline Find More Posts by rgd1065
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
GLF4-SP Driver
Joined Dec 2009
331 Posts
Quote:

KM

BTW, rgd1065, you say you ordered the BBD scheme from HSW ? it is not even on their site !

http://shop.hobbyshopwarehouse.com/E...RBIRDS_c27.htm

I know. I called and talked to Chuck and had him order it. He got them to send it to me. It was just dropped shipped from Starmax/Hawkwere in China, so they can send any plane they have.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:33 AM
GLF4-SP Driver
Joined Dec 2009
331 Posts
Quote:
There are a few simple rules in retail...

first stock, then sell. If not in stock tell the customer and put a pre-order out with the possibility to pay when in stock, not in advance, as well as the possibility of cancelling an order when it gets clear the stock wont arrive in time.
Dont follow the facts, be ahead of the facts.
Never make a promise you know you cannot keep.
Keep your service high, your communication lines short and clear, and do not tempt buyers with lies,
hold them on a leash with half-truths and what have you.

Then, and only then will your business flourish.

KM
Exactly.

I would much rather a vendor tell me upfront, "Hey, it's gonna take 3 weeks to get it here" or "I need to get two more orders before I buy and have it shipped so I can get it at the price quoted". I don't want to hear "It'll be here on Tuesday" and then get excuses when they knew all along it wasn't coming.

Under promise and over deliver. Set the expectation and keep it. These are fundamental foundations of good service and sales.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,476 Posts
If someone can send me a PNP Starmax P-51 for $130 including shipping, then I'm in, but that sounds a little fishy and too cheap.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
GLF4-SP Driver
Joined Dec 2009
331 Posts
Gary,

check your six, I mean your message box. Sent you a note.

Also wanted 4 posts in a row.

-Rob
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
GLF4-SP Driver
Joined Dec 2009
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
If someone can send me a PNP Starmax P-51 for $130 including shipping, then I'm in, but that sounds a little fishy and too cheap.
All I know is what she tells me. And that is what she told me. I trust the company in China more than I do BH. If I could get 3 or 4 other serious buyers, I'll buy them, have them shipped on a test run and then see if it is fishy or not. No charge to the buyers until I have the planes here in Texas, do a parts check and have them ready to ship.
Last edited by rgd1065; Jan 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,476 Posts
Hmm..., would they get drop shipped to my house for $130? If so, that would be amazing .
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Closed Thread