SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:08 PM
Orange County, Ca.
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
Discussion
Fantasy Racer Dist. by CERMARK

Something very cool is here! Its called the Fantasy Racer and distributed by Cermark. Its a 51" EPO foam low wing aircraft in the era of the GeeBee R3. It has some very unique build features which I will go over in a "Build Review" in the next couple of days. This aircraft is one of the most powerful out of the box planes I've seen, bar none. It will do unlimited vertical on a 3s pack. The power is a NEO 10 (Power 10) motor with a 50 amp esc, which means you could go to a 4s or maybe even a 5s.

You can check the Cermark web site www.cermark.com for more information.

I will be doing a flight review for all you Park Flyers next week so stay tuned.

These aircraft are also available from Rob's RC in Huntington Beach, Ca stop by and take a look.

ZD FLY Fantasy Racer at Apollo Field (3 min 48 sec)

HBPD
HBPD is offline Find More Posts by HBPD
Last edited by HBPD; Oct 28, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:14 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Oct 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
Here is a critical update to the the Fantasy Racer manual.

1. CG (Center of Gravity), Manual, page 8 is incorrect. The correct CG is 2.5 or 2.5 inches behind the leading edge (at the wing root).
2. Check all horns and hinges while assembling. Re-glue all horns (CA or epoxy).
3. Glue tail wheel housing into position (epoxy-best or CA, omitted from the manual)

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK,
Steven Chao is offline Find More Posts by Steven Chao
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
eat, sleep, play, work?
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jun 2010
349 Posts
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a sweethart! looks like a winner! gota have one soon lol.
offplane is offline Find More Posts by offplane
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:34 PM
Orange County, Ca.
Joined Jan 2009
130 Posts
Fantasy Racer

Heres more info on it and some photos of how it went together. First off the build was very easy, as you can see by the parts count theres not a lot to put together. There are a couple of things to watch out for as you progress with the build. First off lets start with the partsIMG]http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/stambukj/100_0165.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see very few parts, a couple of things, be sure to re-glue the control horns
and check the hinges and re-glue if necessary.

This plane has a unique wing lock system that enables you to remove the wings without tools.

Be sure to take some sand paper and go over the spar ends so they won't bind as you slide them in.

The landing gear is held on with 4 self tapping screws, be sure to round the guide pins with a little sand paper and the receiving hole with an x-acto knife so the holes will line up and slip in with no problem.

The radio compartment is quite roomy and the servo wires are plenty long enough. Its all under the canopy nice and tiddy.

Last but not least is the finished plane decals and all. I have to say it what a cool looking plane. One final photo below.

Finally I think this is a quality foam airplane thats easy to build and has unique features
that most others don't This plane isn't small with a 51" wingspan and a NEO 10 motor under the hood it looks like fun city. I can't wait to get it out for its madin.
HBPD is offline Find More Posts by HBPD
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
Ramona, California
Joined May 2003
383 Posts
Hello Steve Chao,

Will the included ESC handle 4 cell battery packs?

Thanks, Matt
7thSon is offline Find More Posts by 7thSon
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:59 PM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
"...included ESC handle 4 cell battery packs?.."

Yes. However why are you thinking going to 4S?

The standard setup on 3S 20C (44Amp continuous) is fairly quick. If you want to up the horizontal speed, then there may be less expensive way to add more speed. The easiest method is to up the battery current discharge. So by going to a 25C (similar capacity), you can improve the speed by approximately 5 mph! There you can up the speed (horizontal and vertical) by going to a higher discharge pack...

As a side note: A AMP-2200-3S-20C pack will fly an approximately 4+ min. If you don't believe me, see this youtube video where we wacked or ran into power line (Fantasy Racer vs Mr. Power Line ) about 4:30 min into the flight.

Fantasy Racer vs Mr. Power Line (4 min 56 sec)

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ramona, California
Joined May 2003
383 Posts
Thank you for the speedy response. I wanted to know about the ESC with 4 cell packs
because I have three of these
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7361

Does Cermark accept payment by money order?

Please show us more pictures of the plane and one of the transmitter.
7thSon is offline Find More Posts by 7thSon
Last edited by 7thSon; Oct 31, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
That looks like one solid flying plane.
It must by a very stiff plane to fly pattern like that and hold it so well.
Xmas might be coming to my house early this year!
Speed--Freak is offline Find More Posts by Speed--Freak
Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:42 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Flew one this morning. Flew with aft CG(did not find this thread till this pm) at 3.25" and it is not too bad. One thing I did wrong was hooking the elevator control arm too far out, should have use the middle hole instead of the last hole, ran out of elevator on landing. Too late to change except using a longer servo arm. The screw in servo arm linkage is not very good, one aileron slipped in flight. Need to put a drop of loctite to secure it.

Plane is fairly fast. Take off was a little bit hairy, but that might be the aft CG.

The instruction was not too clear how the battery was supposed to be mounted/secured, I ended up gluing a piece of 1/4" ply on the floor(ceiling?) of the battery bay and velcro the battery to it. I also added an extension to the wire coming from the ESC to make it easier to connect the battery.

Will try again soon.

Steven, what brand of servos are in the plane? I need some longer servo arms. I am adding a piece of G-10 glass on top to extend it at the moment, I would like to get a few spare on just in case, if you have them.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:37 PM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
Brian,

try shoving the battery pack all the way to the front so that the CG is at 2.5" instead of 3.25". I think you will like it much better.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Steven,

Only negative comment I have about assembling the plane is the mounting screws for the landing gears. I replaced them with allen head screws so I can use a ball end allen wrench to tighten the front screws. Hard to get a long philip head screw driver past those big wheel pants.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Nov 01, 2010, 12:49 PM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
7th Son: Try Discount Hobby Warehouse (John Weaver's store). They have them in stock. Their address is 7644 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111, (858) 560-9633
Hours: Mon-Fri 10am-7pm, Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 10am-5pm

We do accept money orders (remember to include S&H, which you can save if you visit your LHS).

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:35 PM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
Amendment version 1.3

Here is a update to the amendment (version 1.3). Important to read!!!

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:25 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,595 Posts
Steven,

Any way to get some servo arms?

Brian, an EAJ