HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:51 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choook View Post
set up is for road front seems stiff rear is a pogo stick manual says its 70wt rear 35wt front maybe 25/f 90/r any idears

Ok for on road are you on the MXR tires or the SMR slicks?

Do you want the rear end to slide under braking or stay planted?
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Hi Chris, Just got my new steel gyro gears set Friday, Should we replace the ring gear at the same time as the gyro set? I installed the new gears on a new Red Heavy Duty gear bracket. I had to hone the sides of one of the gears because there were some burrs left on them from the machining of the gears, and they were rubbing on the side of the mating gear. I then mounted the new steel sun gear on the gyro and did a test fit of the new planetary set on the sun gear, yikes, lots of rough gear mesh! should I run it like that and hope it breaks in or try to hone some clearance into the new sun gear?

Thanks, Dave
So to be clear;

New machined gears, new alloy HD gear support, new steel sun gear and you have rough gear mesh?

Ok let me look into putting these production parts together from a sampling of parts here in stock to check for some tight tolerances.

I dare say if its working but a little rough then see if it wears in but otherwise PM me and I'll exchange them through Customer Service.

It might be the HD gear support so try the RTR part and then let me know if its still an issue so we can narrow down which parts seems to be off a bit.

Also try the brass Sun Gear with the steel gears RTR and HD gear support and see what the differrence is.

I suspect it might be the Sun Gear, its wire EDM cut so we might have to adjust that.

Production part gear tolerances are real fun to diagnose!

To answer your other question about the ring gear, no if its in good condition, they last a long time actually.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
been running the VMX steadily for the past two weeks... got the brake kit mounted up but i'm in search of a little more brake "bite"... any hints?

also.. lost my slipper cover at RCX.. lol

lovin' the bike though.. still on my original plastic gear on the gyro!

as soon as those fuzzies come out, we'll REALLY be ready for some running

Did you try sanding the disc or another pad material yet? As long as you can CA glue a pad on there it will work so you can try different materials for your needs.
The "Fuzzies" are just a little ways out, not much though!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Chris you said earlier the brake kits came in, i dont see how to order them from you or Bruce, any ideas?
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Ok for on road are you on the MXR tires or the SMR slicks?

Do you want the rear end to slide under braking or stay planted?
slicks/ i am going to get front brake when thay come out but would like to back it in
choook is offline Find More Posts by choook
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Quote:
Did you try sanding the disc or another pad material yet? As long as you can CA glue a pad on there it will work so you can try different materials for your needs.
The "Fuzzies" are just a little ways out, not much though!
I dremeled/sanded the disc, but I haven't tried any other materials yet... not sure what to try... my previous brake systems have either been fiberglass pads on metal discs (Pat's brakes), or Aluminum pads on fiberglass discs (Einitech and KP)... the GPV-1 is the first bike I've had that used this material for pads, but the GPV-1 is so light that the friction that is required to stop it is much less... The VMX is very heavy and needs some real grip to haul is down from speed..

It's always better to have too much and dial it down, than to not have enough

Thanks buddy

BTW.. did anyone win the naming contest yet, or are you guys still holding off on the results for a bit?
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Last edited by Akura2; Apr 12, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
Lloydminster AB
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Cool wow 25 minutes of run time is great. I find that most of the time I dont have to go and turn the bike up right when I crash so yes some more practice and you will do the same.
There is always that perfect rock isnt there? Yes Im aware of this and Im considering what the options are to make that less of problem.
I don't know how much practice will help recovering from hucking the bike off a kicker into a snowbank or flipping over in some dually tracks so Vinnies head is in the bottom of the rut and the guide wires are hung up on a ridge, but I agree, every time I run I'm finding I can push the bike a bit harder and can recover better and drive more precise lines. I think my next adjustments might be to run a stiffer steering damper oil.
cwazyduck is offline Find More Posts by cwazyduck
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
647 Posts
Regarding the Chain and Sprocket Wear:

The front Sprocket of the ARx 540 is a direct replacement. I guess the Sprockets from the 5th Scale Bikes fit too.

Since I always strip the threads of the grub screws on brass pinions and Sprockets, this is a necessary mod for me
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
BTW.. did anyone win the naming contest yet, or are you guys still holding off on the results for a bit?
JUST ONE! so far one has hit on the name. 2 more spots open still!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 621clay View Post
Chris you said earlier the brake kits came in, i dont see how to order them from you or Bruce, any ideas?
The kits came in and some parts had to be added so they held them but they are here so just place your order and they will ship pretty soon.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choook View Post
slicks/ i am going to get front brake when thay come out but would like to back it in
The SMR tires are very sticky and even work well in the wet so you will need to use a very stiff rear set up to get it back in to corners. The front brake will help lighten the rear tire contact and promote sliding so its going to take a little set up and testing to get the balance for the track or parking lot surface you run on.
I suggest a harder set up all around but try it stock first and then work up to what your looking for. The VMX is planted pretty much in its basic set up on SMR tires. The front is very settled under hard braking and full lean and you can see it wants to stand up like a real bike does. When it does you have enough grip to steer in to the turn more and hold the bike down. It acts like a road racing bike actually.

If you set the bike up to slide this will be different but you will have alot of control.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Any suggestions for brake material to try Chris?...

Thanks
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Welcome back Chris. Last couple of months Ive had way too many other family obligations but now I will have time for my vmx projects (RV#2 thor gear). I ordered brake kit about a month ago along with the smr tires, so cant wait. Keep the goodies coming.

And now its time to win some tires... wide open, hopups, tacky.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
What servo did you end up trying? HS...

If you have the torque then try fiberglass pads on the sanded rotor. Use the steel pad as a template and you can glue it to it or make it bolt on I guess. The thickness matters as its taken into account as an assembly and for braking power.

Another option is toborrow from the on road guys or any 1/8 scale using brake pads and try that meterial out. Just glue it to the steel pad and see what you get. There are so many choices that you really have to try a few to see what you like.

You can also go to the auto parts store and try gasket material, there are about 3-5 types to choose from depending on the store.

Also for more torque at the caliper you can make or modify the lever to get more clamping force.

How you assemble the caliper pads and the gap to the disc in relation to the timing of the servo makes a difference too so you have to tinker with the set up a bit to get it perfect. You can make them touch sooner and then the servo can keep pulling the cable or you can make the pads touch later in the servo stroke which would result in less pressure.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Welcome back Chris. Last couple of months Ive had way too many other family obligations but now I will have time for my vmx projects (RV#2 thor gear). I ordered brake kit about a month ago along with the smr tires, so cant wait. Keep the goodies coming.

And now its time to win some tires... wide open, hopups, tacky.
Thanks! good to be back!