SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:28 AM
Registered User
indy roofer's Avatar
indy
Joined Dec 2008
84 Posts
shock

i think i found the prob..the bladder was installed the wrong way from factory.i run my bike...slipper set to barely pull front end up 3 in grass with most traction gyro set at 2.5mm 13 tooth pinon with 10000wt diff flid in rear and 20wt shock oil in front.alot better for where i run.u can push in the middle of bike and both front and rear allmost compress at same time .and i put 90wt in sterring damper also to control tank slap.but what works for me might not work for every body
indy roofer is offline Find More Posts by indy roofer
Last edited by indy roofer; Apr 03, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:43 AM
Registered User
mini57's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy roofer View Post
1000wt diff flid in rear and 20wt shock oil in front.
Why did you choose diff fluid for the rear shock instead of shock oil? And what would be the equivalent weight oil to 1000wt diff fluid??
mini57 is offline Find More Posts by mini57
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
marksp's Avatar
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,466 Posts
It's all the same; silicon oil is silicon oil, measured in centistokes (cSt). The thinner oils are generally for shock absorbers (10 to 900) and thicker used in O-ring sealed diffs (1000 up to 500,000).

What's different is how companies measure their viscocity. Here's a link to a good site that has dyno'd the various oils - http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/shocks/shock.htm
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:47 AM
Editor, RCCA
Guidoracer's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
3,163 Posts
Here is some video we took of the VMXs done up as supermoto bikes at the track yesterday:

Venom Racing VMX 450 supermoto on-track chase cam (2 min 38 sec)


Both VMXs have been upgraded with Castle Creations motors, the red one with a Neu-Castle 1415 2400kV motor running 3S LiPo and the green one running a Neu-Castle 1406 4-pole 5700kV on 2S LiPo.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
Registered User
mini57's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Both VMXs have been upgraded with Castle Creations motors, the red one with a Neu-Castle 1415 2400kV motor running 3S LiPo and the green one running a Neu-Castle 1406 4-pole 5700kV on 2S LiPo.
Looks like fun! I'll have to look you guys up the next trip I make to LA.

Any problems overheating the Castle motors with the bike? Wondering about the 1406 motor? That one is 540 size? Though I imagine the long 1415 motor had no worries...
mini57 is offline Find More Posts by mini57
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:28 PM
HobbyKing
Paul Susbauer's Avatar
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy roofer View Post
i think i found the prob..the bladder was installed the wrong way from factory.i run my bike...slipper set to barely pull front end up 3 in grass with most traction gyro set at 2.5mm 13 tooth pinon with 10000wt diff flid in rear and 20wt shock oil in front.alot better for where i run.u can push in the middle of bike and both front and rear allmost compress at same time .and i put 90wt in sterring damper also to control tank slap.but what works for me might not work for every body
Indy,
Let me know if you need any parts. Did the bladder get damaged as a result of the improper installation?

Additionally, we had a small shipment of steel gear sets arrive today. If you already have contacted us regarding needing gears, you should receive a set no problem. We will be starting to ship the gear sets today and tomorrow. You should receive an automatic email when they have been invoiced.

In these first batch of steel gears, we are including a replacement spool as we have seen a few of the steel sun gears that were a little tight on the original spool. This makes installation much easier.

Paul Susbauer
Venom Group International
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:28 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini57 View Post
Looks like fun! I'll have to look you guys up the next trip I make to LA.

Any problems overheating the Castle motors with the bike? Wondering about the 1406 motor? That one is 540 size? Though I imagine the long 1415 motor had no worries...
The 1406 is a 540 sized motor but its four pole setup gives it plenty of torque and had no problems yanking the front wheel of the bike off the ground and speeding down the track... on two cells the bike was just as fast as the other VMX which was running on three cells with the 1415.... no overheating issues either...
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Last edited by Akura2; Apr 04, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 12:34 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
Indy,
Let me know if you need any parts. Did the bladder get damaged as a result of the improper installation?

Additionally, we had a small shipment of steel gear sets arrive today. If you already have contacted us regarding needing gears, you should receive a set no problem. We will be starting to ship the gear sets today and tomorrow. You should receive an automatic email when they have been invoiced.

In these first batch of steel gears, we are including a replacement spool as we have seen a few of the steel sun gears that were a little tight on the original spool. This makes installation much easier.

Paul Susbauer
Venom Group International
I think it's so cool that Venom is issuing these running changes on the bike versus having us buy the bike and having to cobb stuff up to make it work better

Thanks
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:47 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Looks like my order for the gears is set up. Thanks so much for the updates Paul/Venom! Now, I just need the brake kit and some track tires and my RV#2 vmx will be set for the local track.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:56 PM
Registered User
621clay's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Got the email about my metal gears today also, Ya!!!

Now where are those brake kits at?
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:14 PM
Registered User
Australia, TAS, Burnie
Joined Mar 2011
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
Indy,
Let me know if you need any parts. Did the bladder get damaged as a result of the improper installation?

Additionally, we had a small shipment of steel gear sets arrive today. If you already have contacted us regarding needing gears, you should receive a set no problem. We will be starting to ship the gear sets today and tomorrow. You should receive an automatic email when they have been invoiced.

In these first batch of steel gears, we are including a replacement spool as we have seen a few of the steel sun gears that were a little tight on the original spool. This makes installation much easier.

Paul Susbauer
Venom Group International

yay gears shouldnt be too far from australia then.Venom have been very helpful and can only do what they can do.hopefully ill get some trouble free runtime.
fosinator is offline Find More Posts by fosinator
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Bike Racer's Avatar
Australia, New South Wales, Central Coast
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
I went into one of NSW (Australia) biggest hobby stores the other day and said I was interested in buying a bike - when I asked about the gear upgrade I got blank looks from all the staff - you think someone would be up to date and have a knowledge of the product and at least show interest in the hobby
Bike Racer is offline Find More Posts by Bike Racer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:33 PM
Registered User
mini57's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Nov 2009
46 Posts
I got my email from Venom today also... the steel gyro gears will be here shortly! THANKS Venom for a great product and standing behind it.

Its amazing how big the crowd grows when the VMX is out... even if Vinnie has only one foot.
mini57 is offline Find More Posts by mini57
Last edited by mini57; Apr 04, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:43 PM
Registered User
rhino131's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
going on my third rear shock rebuild ... damb bladder keeps getting sucked in
rhino131 is offline Find More Posts by rhino131
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:33 PM
HobbyKing
Paul Susbauer's Avatar
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino131 View Post
going on my third rear shock rebuild ... damb bladder keeps getting sucked in
Not sure how you're inserting the bladder. When I assemble the rear shock. I usually insert it into the cap....carefully, then with a blunt tip, carefully make sure it is fully seated up in the cap. Then I screw it onto the shock body.

This works better than setting it on the shock body and trying to just screw the cap on.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HoobyKing new dirt bike vs. venom vmx 450 amitgv1 Motorcycles 19 Oct 13, 2010 11:09 AM
Discussion Duratrax DX450 VS. Venom VMX 450 Butters Motorcycles 31 Mar 18, 2010 03:41 PM
Discussion VMX 1/4 Scale Dirt Bike Venom Media Venom 4 Mar 01, 2010 06:41 PM
Discussion Venom VMX 450 MX Bike! Mark Headling Motorcycles 2 Feb 09, 2010 11:44 AM
Discussion The Original 1/4 Scale RC nitro dirt bike from the 70's Magicd1 Motorcycles 6 Oct 02, 2006 02:06 AM