HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
If you mean the rear swing arm its a two part unit made from glass filled nylon. Its bolted together with two screws and then pivots on ball bearings and a steel shaft. Its a very tough swing arm.

Cool!

Is very hard! no fluttuation!
Maylord is offline Find More Posts by Maylord
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:46 PM
Titanium Please.
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
58 Posts
I've already watched this video over 10 times.

whipnet is offline Find More Posts by whipnet
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
Québec, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Wish granted...
Thanks for the "Venom Red Edition" too cool!
tntpower is offline Find More Posts by tntpower
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
So based on the video of the RTR VMX do you guys think its pretty capable right out of the box? What are your thoughts based on the video, I know its hard to say but what is your impression?
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,648 Posts
The rear looks like it's bottoming out a little, butnit looks pretty stable and not as wobbly on loose surfaces as other offerings... It will still wobble, as that is a function of the self centering steering versus no traction in the rear.... But it looks to have more control of that anomaly than others... The rear just looks like it could use kore travel... But that could be just the video... I would need to see/bash one in person to know for sure... Lol
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
DUDE! for out of the box....It's the best! i was so impressed that i don't think i'll be making it nitro.I'll just take my chances on electric.It looked very well under control,and i don't have an idea how you did it. Very nice!!!!!
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:26 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,154 Posts
Chris, it looks great -- can't wait to drive it! Of course, I'm eager to try it on the local 1:8 off-road track...
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
Ok cool thanks for the feedback.

About the rear squatting thats two things. 1) the gyro clutch and 2) the MTCS.

1) you can adjust the clutch to slip more or less within 0.5mm and that will put less drag on the driveline resulting in less squatting under power. So tighten the gyro clutch = less squatting.
2) the MTCS insert will make the rear squat under power. The RTR is set up with "A" and you get "B" in a bag included. B can be set right side up or down and it will make a huge difference when your ON power. In both cases A or B do not effect off power suspension travel or ride hieght. Insert A is the most neutral but can be influenced by the setting of the gyro clutch as seen in the video. If you use B for example and invert it it will Jack the rear up and keep a higher ground clearance if thats what your looking for.

With so many settings you can tune the bike for whatever your looking for I think.

I'm very interested in seeing you guys drive the bike and see for yourselves whats going on.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:54 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
The rear looks like it's bottoming out a little, butnit looks pretty stable and not as wobbly on loose surfaces as other offerings... It will still wobble, as that is a function of the self centering steering versus no traction in the rear.... But it looks to have more control of that anomaly than others... The rear just looks like it could use kore travel... But that could be just the video... I would need to see/bash one in person to know for sure... Lol
Your right and this one of the things I wanted to minimize the most...head shake. That bugs the heck out of me . You cannot avoid it all together unless you come up with some new design I think. However take a look at real bikes racing from Moto GP to Supercross and you will see head shake and rider corrections with their bodies so you can argue its just about the same thing...no? As for the VMX you can tune that out by using thicker oil inthe steering damper. We have tested up to about 80wt oil in there to see how it goes. It does reduce the head shake considerably but it puts the balance of the bike more in your hands so with experience Id say up the oil wt.

Stock the bike has about 35wt oil and thats what you see in the video off road. The super moto video clip we had 60 and 80 wt oils in there and you steer quicker left to right with 80wt.

Also head shake can be attributed to gyro RPM so if you drive too slowly for too long then go over rough terrain you wont have the best stability. The RPM of the gyro is not going to be very high. So this is good advice to those of you who want to race the bike....make sure there is a long straight away so the gyro keeps up more RPM (inertia) when you drive in the tighter slower technical sections of the track.

The VMX can snap out of it with a little more power applied. So like you come out of corner and the back steps out and that starts a wobble we just punch it most of the time and its fine. You can stutter the throttle and that works too. Part of that is a pogo effect of the rear bitting and slipping. There again set up is key to handling and rear shock settings and tune are important.

With so much adjustability you can really tune out or tune in several things but we mostly run a basic set up all over the place and just drive it. For sure our Supermoto set ups are different from the MX set ups.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
One other note about the suspension. The VMX has very active suspension. You will notice this when you drive it. That is key to good handling for this bike. The tires are in contact with the ground alot even on rough stuff. You really want the rear end to be at about mid stroke so there is some travel up and down at any time. The front soaks up the bumps and keeps the bike more stable that way instead of bouncing off one thing then another by being too rigid.
So the first thing you may notice right out of the box is the long travel of the suspension and how soft it will be. Dont change it till you try it!!!
The whole bike is "soft" as a base setting so it will be stable and easy to drive for everyone. So keep this in mind then go from there.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipnet View Post
I've already watched this video over 10 times.

LOL LOL so thats why the count was so high over night!!! You sure it was only 10 times???

Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2006
572 Posts
how much it will be sell RTR and the pro kit?

thx
yourtheman is offline Find More Posts by yourtheman
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,316 Posts
The RTR is $369.99 and I dont have the price of the kit yet.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
645 Posts
On the video it looks very good, especially on that BMX Track.

When seeing the ride height in the rear, I thought "Yes, they are doing the same we are doing to our AR bikes on slippery tracks". Reduce the ride height in the rear (=make it soft), and stability goes up significantly.

I'm very keen to see one in the flesh, and run it head to head to the other bikes that are available. It sure looks like it has potential!

Quote:
...make sure there is a long straight away so the gyro keeps up more RPM (inertia) when you drive in the tighter slower technical sections of the track.
Changing the track isn't always possible
But I know what you mean.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:44 AM
Joined Jul 2006
299 Posts
I have only just seen this thread and watched that video WOW is all I have to say

I wish we had an active super moto section for these things, they look like amazing fun

I rarely have RC models as toys to play with instead of racing, but I think I will have to seriously consider one of these.
AC-racing is offline Find More Posts by AC-racing