HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Hey TJ I didn't have to mod the plate at all to fit the motor, just bolts straight in. If you use a 13t pinion you might want to just open the hole up slightly as it can rub. I didn't bother. Are you using the A or B blocks and is the chain new. It is slightly tight when new using the plastic chain blocks. It's tighter I think if you use the B blocks. Go for the A blocks. Usually loosens up within a run or two. Atomik or Venom have alloy chain adjusters which really are needed. You could get them off RedStar Hobbies I think locally. Sorry I didn't mention it. I presumed the bike you got would have them as he had other options. There is a pic of my bike on the MM thread you can see them.
Ok thanks mate, it is a new chain with the plastic adjusters & running the A blocks i just thought it was a bit tight but if that is how they are new i will leave it & see how it goes after a couple of runs, i am only waiting on the pinions now hopefully they come next week.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Ok thanks mate, it is a new chain with the plastic adjusters & running the A blocks i just thought it was a bit tight but if that is how they are new i will leave it & see how it goes after a couple of runs, i am only waiting on the pinions now hopefully they come next week.
Cool no worries TJ .
Oh have you got a front brake. You will want one to pull that beast up for sure.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:49 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Cool no worries TJ .
Oh have you got a front brake. You will want one to pull that beast up for sure.
No front brake at the moment mate my radio gear does not have 3rd ch mixing but i am going to get a better set up later i will get one then.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
No front brake at the moment mate my radio gear does not have 3rd ch mixing but i am going to get a better set up later i will get one then.
Yea cos with that power and speed you'll want to pull it up and with only a rear brake the bike can be unsettled. It behaves much better with a front brake.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RV Track Pics
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:14 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Yea cos with that power and speed you'll want to pull it up and with only a rear brake the bike can be unsettled. It behaves much better with a front brake.
Looks like vinnie is in for some white knuckle riding then i sorted my mates suspension for him last night fitted the BB & serviced his forks it is a lot smoother over the bumps now, i used the standard BB piston & used 3000 diff oil it works well slowed the action down so it is not bouncy & does not bottom out like it did with the stock set up.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Gyro Timing Marks

Hi Guys!!
I have two VMX450's at the moment, one is stock-as-a-rock(showrooom queen) and the other has had a hard life.......and as such is being highly modified Just got the E-Gyro setup running and love the low-speed stability, should have had this from the very beginning. And I also just ordered a Team Durango BB 1/8 rear shock set with the aim to fit it on the VMX450. The ID of the shock is 15mm, so not quite as good as the Hot Bodies option, but fairly cheap from RedStar hobbies.
Question: My father-in-law also bought a 2nd-hand VMX450 that had been fairly used and abused, with the common symptom of the gyro not working. Further inspection revealed the drive pin had sheared, so thats now on order. But on the gyro gears I couldn't see the timing marks to help set it up correctly?? My other two bikes have them. Is this an early type gyro??...is there a way of figuring out how to correctly set them up??

I did a couple of searches on this forum, but couldn't easily find what I was looking for.
fomoco_44 is offline Find More Posts by fomoco_44
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Looks like vinnie is in for some white knuckle riding then i sorted my mates suspension for him last night fitted the BB & serviced his forks it is a lot smoother over the bumps now, i used the standard BB piston & used 3000 diff oil it works well slowed the action down so it is not bouncy & does not bottom out like it did with the stock set up.
Good to hear TJ. You might want to try 1000wt with the std piston. 3000 may work ok on the grass but it mightn't get grip on the dirt and handle chop well. Vinnies in for a wild ride all right , you'll need some throttle control lol. I have found the bike with the big motor isn't as settled in the suspension also as obviously under power it's in a different part of the stroke and also hitting bumps with more energy and speed. Quite different bikes even set up the same. Dave mentioned its like going from a 125 to a 250 for the first time with the 4800 motor, well i think with this motor its more like a 500 2 stroke as you'll see lol. Here's a bit a fun from today with my rebuilt bike. The berm is starting to make its way around the corner giving some different lines. It's really quick when I can rail it. Getting choppy in spots though needs some work.
MM450 berm blasting drifting (4 min 7 sec)

This is only the 4200 kv motor
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco_44 View Post
Hi Guys!!
I have two VMX450's at the moment, one is stock-as-a-rock(showrooom queen) and the other has had a hard life.......and as such is being highly modified Just got the E-Gyro setup running and love the low-speed stability, should have had this from the very beginning. And I also just ordered a Team Durango BB 1/8 rear shock set with the aim to fit it on the VMX450. The ID of the shock is 15mm, so not quite as good as the Hot Bodies option, but fairly cheap from RedStar hobbies.
Question: My father-in-law also bought a 2nd-hand VMX450 that had been fairly used and abused, with the common symptom of the gyro not working. Further inspection revealed the drive pin had sheared, so thats now on order. But on the gyro gears I couldn't see the timing marks to help set it up correctly?? My other two bikes have them. Is this an early type gyro??...is there a way of figuring out how to correctly set them up??

I did a couple of searches on this forum, but couldn't easily find what I was looking for.
Hi fomoco the e gyro makes life easy all right. Hope the shock adaption works ok, not sure about the timing marks if they are gone sorry. Hope someone can help.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Hey TJ this tyre is one I fitted the other day to the bike with the Tenshock motor. I had a run yesterday on the track and had maybe 4 or 5 runs to get this result out of a std insert. Maybe I am too hard on it lol. Really need better inserts for racing and with more power.
Check out the lump in this tyre. The insert degrades and collects in the one spot.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newat...anageattach&p=
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
This is an insert as it comes out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Good to hear TJ. You might want to try 1000wt with the std piston. 3000 may work ok on the grass but it mightn't get grip on the dirt and handle chop well. Vinnies in for a wild ride all right , you'll need some throttle control lol. I have found the bike with the big motor isn't as settled in the suspension also as obviously under power it's in a different part of the stroke and also hitting bumps with more energy and speed. Quite different bikes even set up the same. Dave mentioned its like going from a 125 to a 250 for the first time with the 4800 motor, well i think with this motor its more like a 500 2 stroke as you'll see lol. Here's a bit a fun from today with my rebuilt bike. The berm is starting to make its way around the corner giving some different lines. It's really quick when I can rail it. Getting choppy in spots though needs some work.
http://youtu.be/1pfQ1Pt5R48
This is only the 4200 kv motor
Cool mate looks good, i have a piston set & shock oil coming as well, 500 2 stroke sounds good i can't wait it is sitting in front of me waiting for pinions & vinnie won't get off it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Hey TJ this tyre is one I fitted the other day to the bike with the Tenshock motor. I had a run yesterday on the track and had maybe 4 or 5 runs to get this result out of a std insert. Maybe I am too hard on it lol. Really need better inserts for racing and with more power.
Check out the lump in this tyre. The insert degrades and collects in the one spot.
Wow that is crazy.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Wow that is crazy.
Yea you might want to work on developing a better insert for your beast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Dose any of the bearings or spacers from the mechanical gyro get used when upgrading to the E-gyro?
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
Dose any of the bearings or spacers from the mechanical gyro get used when upgrading to the E-gyro?
No mate it comes complete ready to bolt in.