SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
My camera is a panasonic HDC-TM10 it is full hd (1920x1080) it is a couple of years old now but any name brand full hd would be good, but just a tip mate you also need a fairly powerful pc to run the hd stuff, i got my camera & then found my old pc was not powerful enough to run it so i had to buy a new pc just to be able to do vids lol a good video editing program is good for more titles & effects & stuff as well, i do enjoy doing vids & trying to make them better all the time it is good fun.
Thanks TJ, your vids are always great and I loved the theme music to the last two, very appropriate. Really enjoy them. I've only got the I pad and a small hand camera at the moment which is crap. Maybe I'll look into other options. Thanks again.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More bike fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:46 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Thanks TJ, your vids are always great and I loved the theme music to the last two, very appropriate. Really enjoy them. I've only got the I pad and a small hand camera at the moment which is crap. Maybe I'll look into other options. Thanks again.
Cheers mate, with your great riding & a good camera you would get some awesome close up footage.

I got on rcdirtbikeaction & done the fork rebuild thing, great write up & was easy to follow my forks are nice & smooth now thanks guy's

I also blinged out my tripples i was not keen on the red so i stripped off the anodizing with caustic soda & polished them, the postman brought me some goodies today as well.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:25 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Ok, for the last week I've had a picture of Villopoto on his 2012 #1 bike on my desktop getting inspired for an update to my vmx. Stairing at his crome triple clamps wonder, how can I get those anodized vmx triples looking like that. Awesome TJ! Saved me asking about it. Im going to have to buy my vmx that part now!

Id like to post that as a tip. Where do I get that caustic soda as I never heard of it? How long you soak it for? Does it come off easy? I have a dremel with polish wheel, will that work? Im such a newbie lol.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:53 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
If those triple clamps are Alu then don't use it for long! Caustic soda eats it away. Commonly used in bicycle shops to remove seized Alu seatposts from steel frames.

You'll get it from the hardware store JMc, or even the supermarket, it's often used as a drain cleaner.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Operative part in comment from Throttlejunkie is 'caustic soda & polished them'
Oven cleaner is just caustic soda in a spray can so will work but you will have to polish the surface as it will be matt
.What you need to watch out for is there is caustic soda and caustic soda in differing strengths .
Sometimes the bad guys use a strong % of caustic soda bath to dispose of entire bodies
What you need to be aware of is it will attack all surfaces
Sometimes they tap the threaded holes after anodising. When the etching is removing the anodised surfaces it will also remove part of the thread depth where the thread can strip when tightening up .
3mm and 4mm have a very fine thread depth
How I know is because I went this way before and there were there were nice neat fitting bearing bores that became a rattling fit after a short soaking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Silicone sealant can be used in bearing bores. It pretty much resists attack from (almost) anything, acids, alkalis, heavy shot blast media etc.

For threaded holes, a bolt with thread lock will look after that.

We used to use some very nasty acid to clean up old turbochargers after they were dismantled. Refitting bolts helped a fair bit in stopping expansion of the thread bore.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Cheers mate, with your great riding & a good camera you would get some awesome close up footage.

I got on rcdirtbikeaction & done the fork rebuild thing, great write up & was easy to follow my forks are nice & smooth now thanks guy's

I also blinged out my tripples i was not keen on the red so i stripped off the anodizing with caustic soda & polished them, the postman brought me some goodies today as well.
Cool you got your forks sorted. Those triples look trick, like you I'm not keen on the red anodising. Might have to do some. Now come on e gyro or are you going to source parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:24 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,813 Posts
Cheers guy's, removing the anodizing is an old trick i have used many times before on alloy parts it is very easy, JB got it right it is drain cleaner that i use it is called drano over here, you can get it from a hardware shop & from supermarkets it is nasty stuff & will burn you so rubber gloves should be worn, i start with a plastic container with enough water in it to fully submerge the parts in & start by adding a couple of table spoons of cleaner, it is handy if you have a scrap anodized part for testing the strength of the cleaner as you mix it, i like to get it so it takes about 10mins to fully strip a part the trick is not to leave it in too long as you may damage fine threads but i never have yet (but that is a good idea JB with a bolt & thread lock) so as soon as the anodizing is gone i remove it & put it in a clean bucket of water to neutralize the cleaner & another thing to watch is some of the anodizing may look like it is still there but it is just sitting on top of the alloy & will wash off which can make you leave it in too long so i give it a light rub with a gloved finger now & then to make sure it is coming off.

I do have an article in an old magazine john i will see if i can find it & you can use it as a tip on your site it will probably explain it better than me & it has some pictures.

Yeah Chris i got a vmx roller to build into a mm450 i probably could have got a ARTR MM for what it is going to cost me to build but i have other reasons why i went this way i have thought about just trying to source the parts for the e-gyro which will cost a bit more but i can wait for the e-gyro kit i have plenty of things to keep me busy while i wait, i only need a new body & e-gyro now.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Nice bit of info. That polished look is worth the effort. Yep, we have Drano over here too. What about polishing to get shiny. I have a dremel with some type of stock polish wheel that comes with the kit. Would that be enough? Do I need any sort of polish cream for that result? Very informative. Im learning a lot.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,813 Posts
I used to polish parts by hand but it is time consuming, so i ended up getting a cheap small bench grinder polishing wheel machine, the dremel polisher should work mate just get some cream polish for alloy to use with it.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Bench grinder is the way to go .There are normally cheap polishing sets on EBay which include the tapered mandrel to hold the polishing wheel .Good thing to have as you will find countless uses for it afterwards
The dremel will work but unless you have the wheels that have been sewn together you will get fluff all over the place and not much polishing .
You need to get a bit of pressure on the wheel to enable it to start cutting and bringing up the polish
have fun
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Keep RC-ing!
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Hi Bros,
Where can I order the e-gyro for vmx450?
My vmx 450 had been sitting on the shelf waiting to test out the e-gyro...
Thanks bros.
boolean21 is offline Find More Posts by boolean21
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Get in line haha nobody has it yet, well except for one person. Either pre-order from atomik or get a deal from some of the other online shops that will probably sell it out there once released. Atomik will release either during holiday shopping or after new year.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Keep RC-ing!
Joined Jan 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Get in line haha nobody has it yet, well except for one person. Either pre-order from atomik or get a deal from some of the other online shops that will probably sell it out there once released. Atomik will release either during holiday shopping or after new year.
Haha, ok bro...

Cos I saw some youtubers have it... And a ebay seller sells them in parts... But not sure if usable if just get all the individual parts... Worried of missing parts when buying separately....

love the vmx450 man!
Btw is the mm450 same as the vmx? Both are by venom?
boolean21 is offline Find More Posts by boolean21
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:10 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolean21 View Post
Haha, ok bro...

Cos I saw some youtubers have it... And a ebay seller sells them in parts... But not sure if usable if just get all the individual parts... Worried of missing parts when buying separately....

love the vmx450 man!
Btw is the mm450 same as the vmx? Both are by venom?
You can buy the parts separately and assemble. The whole bike bar the rear wheel are the same. The MM works heaps better again ( with the e gyro ) so if you are happy with your VMX you'll be over the moon with the MM or gyro. There are a few other differences such as obviously the body work and the rider is stronger, the motor is smaller which sounds bad but because it has no mech gyro to spin works really well. I find with the bigger motor you have to be really careful on the throttle. On the track I prefer the 4200kv motor.
RCG Plus Member