HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osavage1 View Post
HAHAHA, you should have offered me that yesterday at my moment of weakness. Yeh I think the bike is running all OK, besides the radio gear. Cheers mate, BRING ON THE E-GYRO!!!!
Hi mate where in Aus are you.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Hi mate where in Aus are you.
Outer south east burbs of Melbourne
Osavage1 is offline Find More Posts by Osavage1
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Hi Osavage1 this is how I got the gyro working really well in my VMXs.
This is set up for high speed. Works well. Start by stripping the shoes off. Drill 3 6 mm holes in both shoes ( I use the two molding marks as guides for two and drill one in the middle of them both ) clean up any burs and assemble onto clutch spool. Use plenty of locktite on the screws. I start the adjustment at about 2.9 mm to 3 mm test run and adjust in or out depending how the gyro works. More gap if I can't keep the gyro spinning enough ( the bike starts getting wobbly ), or in if the bike feels sluggish or the clutch stays engaged too long while braking. It's always a compromise. This set up allows good power delivery and low loading of the motor /speedo as the gyro only gets engaged high up and even then with slippage not locking up. This feels the most like an e gyro a mechanical one can. While apart to make the gyro spin extremely fast and also stay spinning much longer I clean the grease out of the main gyro bearings by spraying carby cleaner ( can use motor cleaner ) through them while on a shaft holding them into a jar. When spinning clean and fast, let dry and oil with 5/30 full synthetic engine oil. Allow the oil to seep right through wipe down and assemble into the cover plate. When tightening the 4 screws into plastic I let them bottom and then back them out 1/2 turn each. I also geared up to 11 tooth pinion, this also helps spin the gyro faster again. Good luck, the best option is to wait for the e gyro as mainanance and set up are eliminated and the bike works really well everywhere. oh and like Dave says rev the fork out of it and fully spool up the gyro before launching. You can do a few slow corners but you must then go fast to speed up the gyro again. You have to drive with the gyro in mind.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Sep 18, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Fantastic

...driving everyday since it arrived, Egyro is fantastic. Bike drives so slow and stable tight turns on pavement with loads of power and punch. Steers like a car in grass, surface with heavy traction. Have had no issues bashing WOT park/street/gravel/dirt.. Love to jump buggies but wont be getting "huge air" with VMX - its too wonderful to risk damaging on heavy landings. Steep learning curve, ease/fun/challenge of driving and squirrelly power/speed make the EVMX my favorite RC!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Hi Osavage1 this is how I got the gyro working really well in my VMXs.
This is set up for high speed. Works well. Start by stripping the shoes off. Drill 3 6 mm holes in both shoes ( I use the two molding marks as guides for two and drill one in the middle of them both ) clean up any burs and assemble onto clutch spool. Use plenty of locktite on the screws. I start the adjustment at about 2.9 mm to 3 mm test run and adjust in or out depending how the gyro works. More gap if I can't keep the gyro spinning enough ( the bike starts getting wobbly ), or in if the bike feels sluggish or the clutch stays engaged too long while braking. It's always a compromise. This set up allows good power delivery and low loading of the motor /speedo as the gyro only gets engaged high up and even then with slippage not locking up. This feels the most like an e gyro a mechanical one can. While apart to make the gyro spin extremely fast and also stay spinning much longer I clean the grease out of the main gyro bearings by spraying carby cleaner ( can use motor cleaner ) through them while on a shaft holding them into a jar. When spinning clean and fast, let dry and oil with 5/30 full synthetic engine oil. Allow the oil to seep right through wipe down and assemble into the cover plate. When tightening the 4 screws into plastic I let them bottom and then back them out 1/2 turn each. I also geared up to 11 tooth pinion, this also helps spin the gyro faster again. Good luck, the best option is to wait for the e gyro as mainanance and set up are eliminated and the bike works really well everywhere. oh and like Dave says rev the fork out of it and fully spool up the gyro before launching. You can do a few slow corners but you must then go fast to speed up the gyro again. You have to drive with the gyro in mind.
I donít know if I will go to that extent, but thanks for the info . The weather in Melbourne is looking crappy for the next few days so I think Iíll pull the gyro apart and see what makes it tick. Does anyone have the install instructions for the front brake kit? The link o the Venom site is down, Iíve pretty much installed it already but want to make sure I havenít missed a step.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
...driving everyday since it arrived, Egyro is fantastic. Bike drives so slow and stable tight turns on pavement with loads of power and punch. Steers like a car in grass, surface with heavy traction. Have had no issues bashing WOT park/street/gravel/dirt.. Love to jump buggies but wont be getting "huge air" with VMX - its too wonderful to risk damaging on heavy landings. Steep learning curve, ease/fun/challenge of driving and squirrelly power/speed make the EVMX my favorite RC!
I'm sooooo jealous , where did you get your e-gyro from?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:50 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,721 Posts
Go back 2 pages (238).
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
I'm sooooo jealous , where did you get your e-gyro from?
Good on you elvill what about the rest of the world Atomik. Come on I have two mates waiting on one. Then some racing might start up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Go back 2 pages (238).
Wowee elvill.... how many sexual favors did you need to perform for that kind of service??? lol. I hate you so much hahaha
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Wowee elvill.... how many sexual favors did you need to perform for that kind of service??? lol. I hate you so much hahaha
originally sent bike in, could've had bike sent back with stock gyro but instead decided to wait months for egyro to arrive. well worth the wait. Shouldn't be too much longer for others...
Quote:
Good on you elvill what about the rest of the world Atomik. Come on I have two mates waiting on one. Then some racing might start up.
completely different bike, egyro makes all the difference. easily drive in small driveway, never could b4, bent guide wires up a little to allow for tighter turns, so controlled super stable.
electric gyro doesn't drive the bike for you but it does make piloting a whole lot easier and mirrors the control and stability the way a moto is supposed to look.
VMX is faster and more capable traversing difficult surfaces (than say HK DB, use same lipo) but can get caught up or stuck on a simple curb if not careful. Can't turn tight while going fast, makes sense. When on its side, bike will stand up with just a little counter steer and power. I've ran the bike hard into the curb several times by steering wrong way making turn wider not shorter ~ counter steering correctly and timing is so important - fun to drive and challenging. 2S 5300 30c Turnigy are fine but might want a little more punch.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Hey Chris i adjusted my clutch gap about 8 times and eventually drilled holes in the shoes like you mentioned.I did 3 - 5mm holes in each shoe and set gap at 2.9.I must say it runs better than it ever has.I can make the small tight turns as long as i get it done sort of quickly and acceleration seems to be a bit straighter also.I guess it is a good as it will ever get til the gyro arrives.I wanted to make sure i did everything i could first,before drilling holes in shoes.Thanks for the tip.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
Hey Chris i adjusted my clutch gap about 8 times and eventually drilled holes in the shoes like you mentioned.I did 3 - 5mm holes in each shoe and set gap at 2.9.I must say it runs better than it ever has.I can make the small tight turns as long as i get it done sort of quickly and acceleration seems to be a bit straighter also.I guess it is a good as it will ever get til the gyro arrives.I wanted to make sure i did everything i could first,before drilling holes in shoes.Thanks for the tip.
No worries gurumods like you say it's better and probably as good as you'll get with the mech gyro. Did you clean and lube the bearings with light oil also this makes a huge difference. The springs are not strong enough for the weight of the shoes. It might work ok for a short time and then the springs lose some tension and the clutch stays engaged too long and comes in too early. Taking weight off the shoes helps the problem.
And elvill I know all about the e gyros performance as I have three, check out the MM thread. I'm just hoping my mates get theirs eventually.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
originally sent bike in, could've had bike sent back with stock gyro but instead decided to wait months for egyro to arrive. well worth the wait. Shouldn't be too much longer for others...

completely different bike, egyro makes all the difference. easily drive in small driveway, never could b4, bent guide wires up a little to allow for tighter turns, so controlled super stable.
electric gyro doesn't drive the bike for you but it does make piloting a whole lot easier and mirrors the control and stability the way a moto is supposed to look.
VMX is faster and more capable traversing difficult surfaces (than say HK DB, use same lipo) but can get caught up or stuck on a simple curb if not careful. Can't turn tight while going fast, makes sense. When on its side, bike will stand up with just a little counter steer and power. I've ran the bike hard into the curb several times by steering wrong way making turn wider not shorter ~ counter steering correctly and timing is so important - fun to drive and challenging. 2S 5300 30c Turnigy are fine but might want a little more punch.
Elvill if you want more punch just gear up. I'm running a 12 tooth pinion and the more you gear up the more punch you also get. I'm only using 30c 5000 batteries and they have way too much punch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:57 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Elvill if you want more punch just gear up. I'm running a 12 tooth pinion and the more you gear up the more punch you also get. I'm only using 30c 5000 batteries and they have way too much punch.
Would that also effect top speed? love how fast she is. gave expo to give throttle more kick - crazy bike did a double flip when punched it. Turns are graceful/smooth with shorter wires but can get hung up easier on its side in grass. Also have to counter steer less, can lean into corners real low! harder to stand up when laid flat. So stinking fun to drive, mad power.

Only negative Id say about the egyro is its loud as phuck, when laying on side its amplified. doesnt really matter b/c bike is so only negative can think of
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,517 Posts
Quote:
Would that also effect top speed? love how fast she is. gave expo to give throttle more kick - crazy bike did a double flip when punched it. Turns are graceful/smooth with shorter wires but can get hung up easier on its side in grass. Also have to counter steer less, can lean into corners real low! harder to stand up when laid flat. So stinking fun to drive, mad power.

Only negative Id say about the egyro is its loud as phuck, when laying on side its amplified. doesnt really matter b/c bike is so only negative can think of
This will increase the top speed quite a bit, if you think it's fast now just wait till you fit a 12. Try an 11 first maybe and if you want more go up. I use steel Duratrax pinions. You might want a front brake. I just leave my wires full length but use rounded wire instead on one bike, ( the yellow bike still has std bars ) no hook ups and great cornering. You can also use nylon. Theres a thread in here about it. Regarding the loud gyro you can clean and lube the bearings with a adhesive chain and bearing lubricant to make it quieter and make the bearings last.
RCG Plus Member