SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:07 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
All I can say is Manfred may be smart but obviously if you found it hard to drive there is something wrong.
Please show where I said that the Bike is "hard to drive"?

I said, if you put it to its limits around a track, it gets a handful.
That statement is based on the results of 2 years of racing, not on driving 1 Bike around.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Please show where I said that the Bike is "hard to drive"?

I said, if you put it to its limits around a track, it gets a handful.
That statement is based on the results of 2 years of racing, not on driving 1 Bike around.
I'm still not sure if Manfreds Bike just had a specific setup, or if this is how the VMX generally behaves. At a certain leaning angle, the bike suddenly "fell" into the corner. Once you are used to that, this can be really fast. But you have no room for driver errors. If you hit the throttle just a fraction of a second too late, your bike crashes into the inner track marker. The tires and suspension of the VMX works really good, the bike "rolls" much better and quicker into and around the corners. But you just cannot push the Bike over it's Limits, it suddenly breaks away.
All Bikes that I have seen using a single pivot have serious headshake issues, and when pushed over the limits they suddenly "break" away.
Fork rake is very steep. This is good for SuperMoto Racing, but not for Offroad!

Sounded like you found it hard to drive maybe just more wheel time needed. Are you sure Manfreds gyro wasn't lightened to make the bike more agile. You said when the bike corners it falls too quickly and was hard to catch. You found yourself hitting the inside barrier. Quick steering is a trait of these bikes but also stability is great as well, again with the gyro working at high RPMs. Excessive head shake can also be a factor and or the sudden breaking away that you described when the gyro isn't effective enough. No bike can be pushed over its limits but the VMX or MM drifts awesomely with some throttle control.I have only ever raced once on a grass track in Aus so dirt is all I know. I do know that in buggy tyres you can get different compound inserts to fine tune your tyres to the grip level. Also on slippery dirt Vehicles move around quite a bit so any tyre flex isn't that noticeable. Even drag car tyres flex an awful amount to help aid grip. Oh I've driven and ridden a little more than 1 bike to make my conclusions from also. I'm glad you are happy with your ARX as it seems to work well for your conditions however here in Australia and United states may be different to European tracks. Most of them are super hard packed dry and slippery that can be tyre eaters. Seriously you might get one day out of a rear tyre. That's where bead locks are great.
I compare these RC  bikes tyres more so to speedway tyres because they race on hard packed slippery dirt with loose dirt on top. Motocross is raced on tracks that are watered ripped and smudged in preparation therefore the tyres get more bite from a loose surface until later in the day when clay tracks can become very hard packed and slippery. A small change in tyre pressure makes a difference in grip levels. Also SuperX is raced on slippery and hard packed from start to finish and if you listen to RV he says he doesnt move around on the bike the bike moves around on him so much on these surfaces.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 24, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Joined Jul 2007
68 Posts
would the 2 of you please give it a rest.
CPTGUY is online now Find More Posts by CPTGUY
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTGUY View Post
would the 2 of you please give it a rest.
I thought discussion was what this is all about . Forget it.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Parts came for y bike today!
Got my shocks at home but I'm travelling back from work!
Oh and my motor has come aswell!
Thanks Venom/Atomik! For having the best customer service!
And thankyou Chris for the forks!
Kurtis is offline Find More Posts by Kurtis
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Cool, your welcome, enjoy!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
I have a Q about front shocks.A while back someone said they filled the fr shocks all the way to top with oil.Well if he did that,then when the shock compresses it will just jam up.According to manual it says to fill to top of spring perch which is the top of piston.I do as per manual instruction,how much oil are the rest of you guys using.I know you are not filling it,but are you going a little extra or not.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
I have a Q about front shocks.A while back someone said they filled the fr shocks all the way to top with oil.Well if he did that,then when the shock compresses it will just jam up.According to manual it says to fill to top of spring perch which is the top of piston.I do as per manual instruction,how much oil are the rest of you guys using.I know you are not filling it,but are you going a little extra or not.
Gurumods I said I fill it to the top with the shaft fully compressed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Interesting. I follow directions filling oil to top of perch but with shafts all the way out like manual shows. If you fill up to top with shafts all the way in, dont you have to also consider that half the spring is probably hanging out of the tube and that space is not taken in account?
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Interesting. I follow directions filling oil to top of perch but with shafts all the way out like manual shows. If you fill up to top with shafts all the way in, dont you have to also consider that half the spring is probably hanging out of the tube and that space is not taken in account?
I fill bleed and then install the spring with the shaft extended. Have no compression lock issues or extra leakage, works well if find. Johnny I'm a mechanic we never follow manuals. Always find better ways to do things. Works the same with real forks more oil height in the chamber better dampening.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 27, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
The main point is to not over fill the fork tube and just cover the top of the upper piston by a little bit. That is about the max volume you want. The oil weight is a different matter.
Pushing the fork shaft in all the way to see when the total volume is filled is fine also but only if you account for the volume of the spring. Otherwise you can over fill the fork again.

Its very much a "feel" thing and see how the forks work and go from there.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
I find there is still enough room for the spring and air in the top of the cap. No compression  lock experienced.  as Chris said do what you like based on feel. Have always set up my shocks and forks with max volume.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Got a new app just playing. couple of slow mos
VMX450 (0 min 32 sec)

VMX450 (1 min 9 sec)

VMX450 (0 min 22 sec)

There is more in Johnny's forum and ThrottleJockeys if you are interested.
Having fun.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
2nd vid is cool.A little slide and then wheely out of turn.NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
2nd vid is cool.A little slide and then wheely out of turn.NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks gurumods, trying to improve entertainment quality now, having fun.
Am working on a longer one with all action. Will post when done.

Here's one with all action right through, not sure about the color earlier on, maybe the way I put it together. I'll practice different things and maybe add music etc to others later on. Enjoy some slow mo VMX action.

VMX450 All Action slow mo (4 min 3 sec)

Much the same but tried diff tech. Seemed better
VMX450 more action slow motion (3 min 50 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:40 PM.