SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
..thanks for the Advice.

I'm glad it's working for you, all I can talk about is what I have seen and driven in the last 2 full AlpenCup Seasons.

Regarding the tires: who says, that they need to squirm a little?
Common sense, Real MX guys or the stopwatch?
When you are racing, the third thing is what counts..

I would love to see more people racing Bikes (even here!), this way we would not have to rely on "What ifs..".

Did you ever drive a well-setup ARX?
I'm glad too. Now the MM is out hope you see some more in Europe.
Tyres need to conform to the surface and flex a little when the grip is low. Have a look at speedway bike tyres in slow motion. They run about 6psi and with my MX bike I run 12psi compare that to what you put in road tyres. On paved surfaces or grass the opposite is needed. Im trying over here to get some racing going but numbers are low. Am hoping the MM will make things easier. Raced real Motocross as well as off road buggies and trucks so i know about getting traction on dirt. I haven't ridden a ARX set up well as I suspect you haven't had a go of a Venom set up properly. Oh and races are often won with corner speed.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:06 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Tyres need to conform to the surface and flex a little when the grip is low. Have a look at speedway bike tyres in slow motion. They run about 6psi and with my MX bike I run 12psi compare that to what you put in road tyres. On paved surfaces or grass the opposite is needed.
This all sounds reasonable, but again: The stop watch is what counts.

Quote:
I haven't ridden a ARX set up well as I suspect you haven't had a go of a Venom set up properly.
Manfred's Venom set the Lap Record last year, and I'm sure he did a lot of testing to dial it in.
He is definitely the man with the most experience on an RC-Crossbike, so I'm pretty sure you can call it "set up properly".

But if you drive it hard, the ARX is more forgiving. That's what I experienced myself, and that's what I've seen at the races.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:49 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,776 Posts
Quote:
I'm glad too. Now the MM is out hope you see some more in Europe.
Tyres need to conform to the surface and flex a little when the grip is low. Have a look at speedway bike tyres in slow motion. They run about 6psi and with my MX bike I run 12psi compare that to what you put in road tyres. On paved surfaces or grass the opposite is needed. Im trying over here to get some racing going but numbers are low. Am hoping the MM will make things easier. Raced real Motocross as well as off road buggies and trucks so i know about getting traction on dirt. I haven't ridden a ARX set up well as I suspect you haven't had a go of a Venom set up properly. Oh and races are often won with corner speed.
Let's see your set up vmx run on a real track with jumps & turns or a bumpy dusty slippery track, any mx bike on the market could run on a super smooth grippy surface 2 straights & 2 turns it not much to brag about, Johnny Mc doing laps of his home made track was more impressive.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Let's see your set up vmx run on a real track with jumps & turns or a bumpy dusty slippery track, any mx bike on the market could run on a super smooth grippy surface 2 straights & 2 turns it not much to brag about, Johnny Mc doing laps of his home made track was more impressive.
No problem throttle. Can't say your ARX is very impressive. Also my track is bumpy and slippery wish I had a ARX to show you how bad it is. Wish you were closer. Would love to prove you wrong.
At the moment the local 1/10 size decomposed granite bomb site is under water will try when it drys out.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:28 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Oh how about a video of yours doing laps eh. I'd be curious to see that. All the European races look slow and boring. Also they never do any decent jumps. And there more like two long curves and two different radius corners. Many varieties of lines keeps me entertained.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Tyre Thoughts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:39 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Oh how about a video of yours doing laps eh. I'd be curious to see that. All the European races look slow and boring. Also they never do any decent jumps. And there more like two long curves and two different radius corners. Many varieties of lines keeps me entertained.
..go to a local Buggy track near you, take a video, and show me how to drive fast on a tight and slippery track. I'm very curious to see that.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
..go to a local Buggy track near you, take a video, and show me how to drive fast on a tight and slippery track. I'm very curious to see that.
Will do. Unfortunately the track is 1/10 size so it is very tight and twisty for a1/4 scale bike but I'll give it a go. Really need a faster flowing track like many euro tracks. Even tighter than Hot Rod Hobbies track. Also deco granite. We'll see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,776 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't say my arx is impressive either as i havn't done a thousand laps & tuned it for 2 straights & 2 turns & i am not trying to impress anyone i do it for myself for fun.

I mean dusty & bumpy with a good dust trail coming off the back wheel & throwing a roost out of the turns.

But you sound like a narrow minded 10 year old (my bike will beat your bike) when you make comments about other bikes you have not used they all have their good & bad points, but i have never & would never say the arx is better than the vmx or any other mx bike just because i own one, if all goes well in couple of months i will be getting me one of those mm450's so i will have both. to me it is all about having fun not arguing about which bike is best.

What state are you in, i will guess V.I.C
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
[QUOTE=Throttlejunkie;22241313]I wouldn't say my arx is impressive either as i havn't done a thousand laps & tuned it for 2 straights & 2 turns & i am not trying to impress anyone i do it for myself for fun.

I mean dusty & bumpy with a good dust trail coming off the back wheel & throwing a roost out of the turns.

But you sound like a narrow minded 10 year old (my bike will beat your bike) when you make comments about other bikes you have not used they all have their good & bad points, but i have never & would never say the arx is better than the vmx or any other mx bike just because i own one, if all goes well in couple of months i will be getting me one of those mm450's so i will have both. to me it is all about having fun not arguing about which bike is best.

I've had several People tell me it's the best handling, most realistic looking bike they've seen on the net full stop. And my mates know how good it is. That will do me I know the truth. Just replying to Gartenzwerg as he seemed to be bagging the bike. When you get your you will understand. With a little work. I also have a ball, but like a little banter. Sorry if you take it personally. Am from the sunshine state. Although not lately. The steering on these bikes puts the ARX to shame I'm just stating the obvious. As Chris is about the tyres.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
chktm, why you barking at these friendly individuals? Banter for the sake of banter??

First of all Gartenzwerg wasnt baggin the bike, that discussion you quoted was in the racing thread and he was making observations about handling characteristics between them. I enjoyed the discussion and thought it was very informative. Never was it arx vs vmx. You started that! Secondly, did you realize while Gartenzwerg may race an arx, he also owns a vmx too? He also tried a vmx with an egyro a year before any of us have even thought about them (Manfred Hallmann's race bike at 2011 alpen cup).

Vmx has shown in the alpen cup that it can race with the arx, but thats it. Too many other factors like driver style, skill, bike setup, or track conditions could decide which bike does better on a certain day. So far, in racing, arx is a winner. Whats "best" for any individual is purely up to what that individual wants at this point. On an oval track like your backyard, the vmx does great. My experience from my arenacross track and the local track tells me differently. Im waiting on the egyro before I decide how good the bike is. Your experience doesnt translate to mine does it.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Oh I have criticism about the Venom bike as well if you read back. Nothing's is perfect. rear foams do deteriorate too quickly when the bike is used hard. Tyres last a long time and grip better than my 1/10 trucks losi or pro line tyres.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,135 Posts
Well said Johnny, you got in there quick enough, now all please let it rest.

Arx driver, Venom driver, whatever, put them all together at a race track and this silly rivalry will disappear as they all help each other. We are all friends really, we just need to meet to find out how close we all are.

Resume thread...
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovaic View Post
Well said Johnny, you got in there quick enough, now all please let it rest.

Arx driver, Venom driver, whatever, put them all together at a race track and this silly rivalry will disappear as they all help each other. We are all friends really, we just need to meet to find out how close we all are.

Resume thread...
Handling characteristic head shake etc. Deans and Phil's MMs sure look good to me. enough said. I might bag other drivers cars too at the track but it's all in good fun sorry for upsetting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,627 Posts
Oh it might sound like I'm full of it but all I'm trying to do is show people how good the VMX MM platform is. Am super happy with my bikes handling, and now the MM is out everyone can have that and better. Woo hoo.. Check out Dean and Phil's footage for how easy to use this bike is when the Gyro is working at the correct speed.All I can say is Manfred may be smart but obviously if you found it hard to drive there is something wrong. Even NASA make mistakes. my ten year old son finds this bike easier to use than a 1/10 truck.My comments weren't a personal attack on your bike specifically.Seems you are making a personal attack on my bike and track.Basically the point I was trying to make was that when the Gyro is spinning fast the tyres and the whole bike work well as you can see from the MM videos. If the Gyro is working well the whole bike works well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
I'm glad that most people understand what I mean.

And I do agree - on a race day, we are all Bike drivers, who sit happily together. We do not have 3 groups (Arx, VMX and Anderson) who do not talk to each other..

But, instead of having to judge other Bikes by looking at Videos, I am able to drive these things here. So what I say, is my opinion, but based on driving experience, not on looking at a video, or "stating the obvious".

That's all I want to say. I don't want to "bag" the VMX - I just write my opinion about it, and try to put things in a perspective, when someone starts talking about things he has no clue about.