HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,661 Posts
The VMX 450/ MM450 is being made by Atomik RC now... The VMX450 is on hold/discontinued while the MM450 is being readied for production
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,178 Posts
Venom Group has rebranded all of their kits under their Atomik RC division. I believe that batteries will still be under the Venom name. The VMX450 is discontinued, so it kind of makes sense that you are redirected to their current offering.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Right on the money, Rellik. You'll get longer runtime and lower motor temps, so you can gear up. I was able to easily get 17 minutes on both flat dirt with lots of high speed passes and on the track on the MM450 with the newer 4200kV motor and the 3200mAH LiPo pack that comes stock. Compare that with the 20 minutes of runtime I was getting on my VMX with a 6500mAH pack and the 4800kV motor on the older bike with the geared gyro.
i have a 50c 5400mah battery i run with my bike right now, since there wont be so much demand from the drag of the mechanical gyro, will the bike have some more punch bc of the freed up power?

also im guessing that i will have to set up new throttle curves, and loosen the slipper when i upgrade to compensate for less drage and more power right ?
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
Hey Johnny I realize that this was all i had yet. I really shot it for me. The main reason I put it in was to show the tyres work fine on hardpack clay. Have got some full length footage from the fast corner looking down the track came up really good nice drifting speedway style and nice and close up plenty of berm bashing and dirt flying as well also some awesome wheelies. At the moment I don't have a movie app to play with would love to slow mo some stuff have to get one and learn. Also only have an I pad may be a little bit difficult to mount it on my head. Bear with me Johnny things will improve. Haven't seen a VMX on u tube that goes as well as mine just looking to share some info.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Add info
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,644 Posts
[QUOTE=gurumods;22097484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chktm View Post
Thanks Chris I've just got it set up as it should be bike handles awesome thanks to great chassis design direct steering works really well can pretty much put the bike where you want will try to post some better video at later date ps big bore rear shock makes huge difference as they do on buggies forks are great steering damper is brilliant as well bike flows through corners so well I can ride it better than my mx bike. Bike handles that slippery dirt better than my stadium truck puts power down really well meanwhile the truck is donuting

CHKTM,any chance you could compile your setup all in one post so we don't have to chase down every post.Oils,springs etc etc.Your bike seems to handle very very well on the dirt.Mine handles like that on pavement,but not dirt.
Venom VMX 450 set up for bikes in the videos are as follows. Bikes have quite some  use on them and this suspension set up is quite hard. This allows you to hit things much faster and harder often with better results. May not suit low speed or really choppy tracks. Will have to soften slightly. Suits high speed slightly choppy more rolling style bumps. For new bikes also will need to be softer as suspension beds in more you can go harder. This set up may not suit everyone but it works for me on my track.

Front forks 60wt
Rear shock HotBodies big bore front buggy shock 1.2 pistons 60 wt oil plus 1 cap full of Mugen 1000wt diff oil as I can't get any heavier than 60wt at lhs 
Std rear spring
Approx 5mm solid bump stop ( I use two old pistons )
Top shock mounted second hole from rear 
I can't get HB shocks or parts anymore may have to try a different brand
Steering damper 40wt
A  MTCS blocks
Std tyres
Std front insert modified rear ( see MM 450 thread I think )
11 tooth pinion hardened steel will last long time
Steering servo Futaba .20sec transit time cheap one don't know number works good
Brake servo std
Radio std
Motor std Venom 4800kv
Speedo std
Clutch gap on the blue bike is about 2.6 mm gap on yellow bike is about 2.9 mm and they feel similar. I usually start at about 2.9mm to 3mm and adjust in or out by 1/4 turn until I find the sweet spot for the size area you run in. Clutch shoes have three six mm holes drilled to lighten. Main gyro bearings have been cleaned out and relubed with 5/30w full synthetic engine oil to spin ultra free. I also tighten the four screws into plastic in the gyro cover plate fully and then back off 1/2 turn each, don't worry they won't come loose.
The gyro speed needs to be fast for the bike to find sufficient grip on slick surfaces this is the most important thing. You don't have to use the modified rear insert I made them because of lack of stock but find they do give a Little more grip on the slick handle bumps better but also transition from side to side quicker because of a more rounded tyre so they may not suit everyone. On high grip the std insert works best just doesn't last long enough.

Hope I covered it all if I think of anything else I'll let u know. I do have plenty of ideas on rebuilding the bike for reliability will work on that. Sorry took a while kept losing it.
chktm is offline Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chktm; Jul 12, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Can someone help me find the page that has a picture of the slipper cover where someone found a cap with a lid and glued it on?? Tired of losing the slipper cover even after glueing it
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
Can someone help me find the page that has a picture of the slipper cover where someone found a cap with a lid and glued it on?? Tired of losing the slipper cover even after glueing it
For future reference, what you do is go up to the blue bar for this discussion and click "Search this forum" and just type some key words in. I put in SLIPPER CAP into the box. Your original post came up so you click it and presto. You can also click "advanced" for some more options in searching, like if you know the user's name.

It was on pg 197 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+cap&page=197
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
For future reference, what you do is go up to the blue bar for this discussion and click "Search this forum" and just type some key words in. I put in SLIPPER CAP into the box. Your original post came up so you click it and presto. You can also click "advanced" for some more options in searching, like if you know the user's name.

It was on pg 197 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+cap&page=197
Oh ok thank you!!!

Anyone know where I can get this

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/DSC02403.jpg
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
I gooped mine 1/2 way around.It hasn't moved since
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:28 PM
Québec, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
Rellik : I use a old pills container and since i install it work great.
mazdaxxx is offline Find More Posts by mazdaxxx
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,178 Posts
Rellik: The MM450 pulls stronger all the way to top speed due to less drag on the drivetrain. That's not to say the VMX isn't punchy, but the power curve is a bit odd; tons of punch until the gyro clutch kicks in, then a drop in power, which ramps up again once the flywheel gets going. The thing with VMX, though, is that the power isn't consistent -- it will feel different when punching it if the bike had been running at half throttle for a while compared to punching it after just coming off a high speed pass. With the MM, it's punchy the whole time (depending on your slipper settings, of course).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Where are you all getting a 10t 32p STEEL pinion.Every one i look at seems to be too narrow.Don't want to buy something that will be tossed in the "cant use" drawer.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
i went to the store to try and find a bottle like that, but didnt have any luck, even tried on ebay, I will keep looking till i find it tough, or maybe something that will work just as well lol thanx for the tips.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Rellik: The MM450 pulls stronger all the way to top speed due to less drag on the drivetrain. That's not to say the VMX isn't punchy, but the power curve is a bit odd; tons of punch until the gyro clutch kicks in, then a drop in power, which ramps up again once the flywheel gets going. The thing with VMX, though, is that the power isn't consistent -- it will feel different when punching it if the bike had been running at half throttle for a while compared to punching it after just coming off a high speed pass. With the MM, it's punchy the whole time (depending on your slipper settings, of course).
i plan on upgrading to the egyro as soon as it comes out, or at least as soon as i can get my hands on one. will it be more like the mm450 once upgraded ?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,178 Posts
Rellik: with the exception of the new livery and the new micro Rx, upgrading to the egyro will make it just like the MM.