HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:09 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,400 Posts
I wanna race a VMX with the M5! I'll get beat but it should be fun!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jun 27, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post

id race but i aint no good at tracks with little less experience
Kurtis is offline Find More Posts by Kurtis
Last edited by Kurtis; Jun 27, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,400 Posts
I'll teach ya! It'll be as good as we get until we can race with Bernhard (Gartenzwerg) in the Alpine cup, then we can truly get our bums kicked!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Jun 27, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
will get a better video tomorrow with no one around! except the camera dude
Kurtis is offline Find More Posts by Kurtis
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
649 Posts
Quote:
..if the track is not too rough, I bet the better driver will make the difference

The M5 is still a surprisingly capable bike, it's just too small for rough tracks.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
id race with you mate anytime you probably run rings around me and id bring the other bikes as well so you could have a blast with a VMX and see what you think
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
From testing both together I can tell you the VMX will be far more capable and faster on rough terrain. The small wheels on the M5 limit it to groomed surfaces. The bike is very stable for sure because it is so light and the gyro is very powerful. For the size of the VMX compared to the M5 you get a bike that is capable of 40mph off road. The long travel suspension on the VMX handles the bumps and jumps but the M5 has very simple suspension (unless upgraded) and lacks the dampening to control the bike well at speed. Plus it has short travel. The worst part is that the front tire hits the front of the chassis on a box stock bike so thats like hitting the front brake each time it bottoms out. If you flip the forks around you get better clearance but it is what it is.

Bottom line if you modified a M5 really well and fixed its design flaws and put a good driver on it the bike would give the VMX a hard time on certain tracks and the VMX would be better on other tracks. Each have their advantages.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
[QUOTE=gurumods;22012693]

I made some guide wires out of 1/8" music wire.They are the same lenght as stock and i soldered the tips with silver solder due to the fact that there is less surface area.I think they look a little less cumbersome and i hope they work.I may even solder a very small gusset on ends to help with the wear factor.I have been running my bike on pavement and have gone thru 2 sets of wires so far.I silver soldered my stock ones also just to build them back up wear they were ground down.

I tested my homemade guide wires again today.Before going out i added bigger globs of silver solder to the tips and they work great.If anyone plans on making a set you should use 1/8",/3.17mm music wire available at lhs.You MUST use a torch to make the V bend.Get it cherry red and slowly bend it over.The ends that go into the holder i narrowed down to 3mm dia. with a dremel drum sander.Don't forget to wrap the V-bend with small guage copper wire and then soak it with globs of solder and they will last a long long time.

gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Pro to the Duce
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2007
37 Posts
Good news, customer service got back to me and they're going to ship out a new motor. I threw out the idea of getting it overnighted but I had to pay the extra if I wanted it overnight so I stuck with the standard shipping, will probably be here next week.

The only thing I noticed is they shipped me the 4200kv motor instead of the 4800kv motor. Less speed but cooler temps and I could gear it up slightly if I want to gain the speed back...

EDIT: It appears the 4800 is either out of stock or discontinued which explains the 4200. Can't wait any longer to get this going!!!
maxxdout is offline Find More Posts by maxxdout
Last edited by maxxdout; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
I changed the spec on the motor to 4200 to get the temps down and have better reliability. The very first bikes did have 4800kv motors. We dont see melt downs or failures very often at all luckily with the 4200's and the bike runs strong still. The difference between the two motors is not so drastic when you run them side by side and on the up side the 4200 gives better run times.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Motor Maintenance

Please check the motor front and rear cover screws after a few runs. The screws that hold them in place are small and there is a lot of vibration and stress.

Just the other day we were running really hard and jumping into the grass from the parking lot from our ramp which is about 7ft long and 3ft tall with a good curve to it. We launch bikes 35ft over to the grass which is lower than the parking lot so the drop is taller than us probably 10ft. So Paul comes screaming off the parking lot full speed and hits the jump but in flight we notice two objects sailing through the air. One is the bike and the other was the motor back plate!

The moral of the story.... check the screws on your motors.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
We launch bikes 35ft...

The moral of the story.... check the screws on your motors.
lol You have funny morals. Haha, couldnt resist.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Well...anything to get the point across I guess! You read it! See it worked, now go check the screws!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Well...anything to get the point across I guess! You read it! See it worked, now go check the screws!
lol..............
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
got out again today ran two packs through the 4300kv 9t motor and had a right laugh with the bike took the ramps out and tried a different lay out for running the coarse and didnt want the packs to run out cant wait to get out tomorrow

jb im still up for that race