SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:21 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
The gyro spins nice and smooth and no steering binding.I am going to try a really stiff damper spring and 100 oil.I have a feeling the rear spring could be responsible also,but there are ZERO choices for rear springs.I will take a gamble and get some ofna 1/8 buggy srpings.
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Last edited by gurumods; Jun 18, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
make sure if you hold the bike and spin the gyro up and let off the TH you should here the gyro spinning for a while in the wheel even after the wheel stops, if you dont here it spinning then most likely the shaft inside has pulled out of the pin groove that connects to the planet gears, this happened to me
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
sorry didnt see your post about the gyro spinning smooth lol
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:30 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumods View Post
The gyro spins nice and smooth and no steering binding.I am going to try a really stiff damper spring and 100 oil.I have a feeling the rear spring could be responsible also,but there are ZERO choices for rear springs.I will take a gamble and get some ofna 1/8 buggy srpings.
Chris said he modified his rear shock piston to 2 holes, I think putting a dab of CA on one hole. That will help the suspension pack during compression and generally make shock less squishy so stronger springs may not be necessary.

So, just to be clear, does this happen every single time you go above 1/4 throttle or just in certain circumstances? Because first means issue with bike, the other might be performance when traction is bad. Thats why I asked what happens when on pavement/grass vs slippery low traction surface. I have links to videos on youtube that demonstrate how bad bike handling can be 100% of time if surface is cr@p.

Thats why video of it doing its thing might help a little since we cant look at your bike. Dont have camera? If you care to browse youtube for vid that looks similar to your situation, try my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/RCDirtBikeAction
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
The 2 hole piston is gonna get done right now,good idea !.I dont have a camera.Once in a while i can get a good straight run.It mostly gets really upset with the smallest of bumps,stones etc etc.There is nothing wrong with bike per say.It's gotta be susp. or damper.I just have to find the right combo.I'm not giving up cuase i know it will handle soner or later.Chris has the egyro also,im sure his handles much better.I sure hope i have the money when egyro is released to get one from the first batch.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
You can try Revo shock springs if you like another choice on the rear shock.

Lets back up a second....have you changed the oil in the forks or rear shock at all? If so what did you use?
I ask because if your bike is really unsettled no matter what then this goes back to what i said a long time ago. The front and rear suspension have to be tuned together. If one is way harder or softer than the other then the bike will handle funny or poorly. What happens is they fall out of sinc and then it only gets worse.

So all else being normal, forks work OK rear shock works OK then the bike should be fine with 25-30wt in the forks and 70-80wt in the rear shock. The shock angle can be in the center position or any position but you have to adjust the pre-load so it sits chassis level.

If all of this is in order then look at the damper and change the oil to calm the head shake but keep in mind the thicker the oil the more responsive the steering becomes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris

PS... the E-Gyro will not overcome a poorly set up bike. The main advantage of the E-Gyro is slow speed stability otherwise at high speed both of the gyros are the same effectively. The MM450 is just much more efficient as a system and faster than the VMX 450.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
You can try Revo shock springs if you like another choice on the rear shock.

Lets back up a second....have you changed the oil in the forks or rear shock at all? If so what did you use?
I ask because if your bike is really unsettled no matter what then this goes back to what i said a long time ago. The front and rear suspension have to be tuned together. If one is way harder or softer than the other then the bike will handle funny or poorly. What happens is they fall out of sinc and then it only gets worse.

So all else being normal, forks work OK rear shock works OK then the bike should be fine with 25-30wt in the forks and 70-80wt in the rear shock. The shock angle can be in the center position or any position but you have to adjust the pre-load so it sits chassis level.

If all of this is in order then look at the damper and change the oil to calm the head shake but keep in mind the thicker the oil the more responsive the steering becomes.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Chris

PS... the E-Gyro will not overcome a poorly set up bike. The main advantage of the E-Gyro is slow speed stability otherwise at high speed both of the gyros are the same effectively. The MM450 is just much more efficient as a system and faster than the VMX 450.
you say the mm450 is more of an efficient system and faster then the vmx 450, is this because of the new gyro or is there other things that has to be changed to allow the vmx to compete with the mm450?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
The lack of mechanical drag from the VMX gyro makes the MM450 faster and more efficient. That's pretty much it really. The rest of the bike is the same. The E-Gyro is an independent system so it doesn't matter if its on a bench or in the bike it will do its own thing.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
The lack of mechanical drag from the VMX gyro makes the MM450 faster and more efficient. That's pretty much it really. The rest of the bike is the same. The E-Gyro is an independent system so it doesn't matter if its on a bench or in the bike it will do its own thing.
and am i right in thinking the egyro is just to create like down force probably worded that wrong but is it for creating weight to the back wheel ?
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
I'm sitting here tuning my bike and noticed the muffler got ripped off from the body.manual says part # is 0420,0420b,0420c,but i get no results.So what is the part # for the muffler.The header comes with the engine covers,but i need the muffler.Can't run without a muffler,neighbors might complain lol.Yes i checked the 2 fields i run at
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
and am i right in thinking the egyro is just to create like down force probably worded that wrong but is it for creating weight to the back wheel ?
Did you take one too many pain killers for your ankle?

The gyro harnesses a deep dark energy called (key science fiction movie musuc) inertia
When a gyro spins it has the ability to maintain a steady position which is why they use them for navigational systems....inertial navigation sound familiar?

The way they are used in an RC bike is to counter the forces of the bikes directional instability. Since off road terrain is so uneven the natural gyroscopic force of even a weighted wheel is not enough to stabilize a bike of this size.

An auxiliary gyro has to be used and we incorporate it at the rear wheel for simplicity and best effect. The force the gyro can exert on the rear axle is what counters the force of the bike being sent off in any direction due to the terrain.

There is no added down force for traction however due to the weight of the rear wheel plus the gyro it is heavier and it does help with traction.

For added traction force the MTCS system can be used to mechanically transfer weight to the rear tire for more grip under power. Try experimenting with the B insert to see this effect in action.

Get well soon!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
So what is the part # for the muffler.I want to spend some money
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
so when we upgrade to the E-gyro dose it plug into the extra plugs where the brake servo for the front brake kit would go?

do we have to activate the aux channel for the new gyro

and is it possible to have both the E-gyro and the front brake kit with the extra servo, run on the bike at the same time ?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
so when we upgrade to the E-gyro dose it plug into the extra plugs where the brake servo for the front brake kit would go?

do we have to activate the aux channel for the new gyro

and is it possible to have both the E-gyro and the front brake kit with the extra servo, run on the bike at the same time ?
The brake plugs into the esc ?,i have mine in channel 3 in rec.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:24 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Did you take one too many pain killers for your ankle?

The gyro harnesses a deep dark energy called (key science fiction movie musuc) inertia
When a gyro spins it has the ability to maintain a steady position which is why they use them for navigational systems....inertial navigation sound familiar?

The way they are used in an RC bike is to counter the forces of the bikes directional instability. Since off road terrain is so uneven the natural gyroscopic force of even a weighted wheel is not enough to stabilize a bike of this size.

An auxiliary gyro has to be used and we incorporate it at the rear wheel for simplicity and best effect. The force the gyro can exert on the rear axle is what counters the force of the bike being sent off in any direction due to the terrain.

There is no added down force for traction however due to the weight of the rear wheel plus the gyro it is heavier and it does help with traction.

For added traction force the MTCS system can be used to mechanically transfer weight to the rear tire for more grip under power. Try experimenting with the B insert to see this effect in action.

Get well soon!
no not too many pain killers just trying to get a better understanding of how of the gyroscopic forces work in a bike that was all too you it must have sounded like a childish question
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247