Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post
mine is now in customs! should be here tomorrow! wupeeee! haha

cool bet you cant wait
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:15 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
well the weather here is beyond a joke at the moment with another 3 days of rain forecast ed so have decided to change the motor over in one of my VMX,s and give the gyro gears another service
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:39 AM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
cool bet you cant wait
i cant haha, and its the same here been raining constantly, its a shitter.
Kurtis is offline Find More Posts by Kurtis
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
Tested the Tenshock 5200kv motor on the MM450 with a 13T pinion. This is a great combo for the bike. Lots of power on just 2S thanks to the 4 pole (4 magnet rotor) in this motor. Its their SC motor for 4WD 1/10 scale trucks. Ran 3 packs through it and the temps are great at 120F or less. I'm running on the stock LiPO 20C 3200mah pack. Pack temp was warm to the touch so about 90-100F.... not bad at all for a 20C pack.
Im using a 100A ESC so I bet I can go down to the stock 80A unit with this and it would be ok with it...have to test that.

On radar it does 35 mph on gravel so on pavement it has potential to go faster. Also use a better pack and it will push it just a bit more too.

Lots of torque due to the rotor design in this motor. It pops the front wheel up at any speed below 2/3 throttle. That is great for blasting over terrain and getting the front end up over obstacles. I set up the clutch with two sets of spring washers and one of the thrust bearing washers behind the nut to evenly compress the spring. This gives you more adjustment range and feel for the setting.

Cool stuff, I hope you guys are trying different combos as well!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
anyone have the part number and or the ling for the E-gyro? can seem to find it antymore
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
E-gyro
Item # 0535
http://www.atomik-rc.com/E-Gyro-Upgr...VMX-450_2.html
gurumods is offline Find More Posts by gurumods
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Difference between vmx & mm 450"s

A search did not give me many results,but so far this is what i have seen.

1= Obviously the color scheme
2= Pinned layshaft &pinned sprocket
3= 4200kv motor
4=E-gyro

Anything else ?? please post it so i can order it even if it is just a bearing or spacer.I want to basically have a MM450 when i am done and im sure every other vmx owner would like to upgrade also.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Tested the Tenshock 5200kv motor on the MM450 with a 13T pinion. This is a great combo for the bike. Lots of power on just 2S thanks to the 4 pole (4 magnet rotor) in this motor. Its their SC motor for 4WD 1/10 scale trucks. Ran 3 packs through it and the temps are great at 120F or less. I'm running on the stock LiPO 20C 3200mah pack. Pack temp was warm to the touch so about 90-100F.... not bad at all for a 20C pack.
Im using a 100A ESC so I bet I can go down to the stock 80A unit with this and it would be ok with it...have to test that.

On radar it does 35 mph on gravel so on pavement it has potential to go faster. Also use a better pack and it will push it just a bit more too.

Lots of torque due to the rotor design in this motor. It pops the front wheel up at any speed below 2/3 throttle. That is great for blasting over terrain and getting the front end up over obstacles. I set up the clutch with two sets of spring washers and one of the thrust bearing washers behind the nut to evenly compress the spring. This gives you more adjustment range and feel for the setting.

Cool stuff, I hope you guys are trying different combos as well!
Ahh, another hard day at the office. Im going to make you work for it now!
- Theres an sc401 and an sc411. I dont see a difference, do you know?
- 100A esc?
- Any mods to get motor to fit, or issues dealing with 5mm shaft? (Is motor same size as stock / did you buy a 5mm pinion)
- How does it compare to stock (is stock 4 pole too?) motor in power? (I dont know motors)
- Would it be like Ryan Dungey going from a ktm350 (stock motor) to a ktm450 (tenshock+100A esc)? lol
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
LOL...nice,

Im not sure of the difference between them I used the SC411 5200kv and 3500kv in testing so far. Besides color Im not sure of the specs yet but at a glance I see there is no sensor plug so it may be non-sensored vs sensored?

The 100A ESC Im using will be an update to the 80A ESC, no other word on this yet.

The only mod is to open up the motor plate slot for the shaft to allow the pinion gear to pass through.

The stock motor is a single pole. More poles (pole = magnets) the more torque the rotor will have. For the same rotor diameter if one is a 4 pole and the other is a single the 4 pole will have more torque. The 4 pole rotors cost much more to make due to complexity and materials.
The stock motor is 4200kv so for comparison I took a 3500kv SC411 and put a larger pinion gear on it. The math suggests the rear wheel RPM will be slightly higher than the stock motor and stock pinion gear for the same voltage. That means the motor has more torque to handle the same vehicle load with a larger pinion gear than stock to reach basically the same speed. So I tried the other extreme and ran the 5200kv motor to push the amp load further, no problem.
I would suggest if anyone tries this to use the motor with the sensor cable on another ESC that is sensored. The non-sensored 80A ESC we sell can handle this motor but the bottom end is not smooth, or as smooth as you would like. If you have a good sensored ESC from Tekin or LRP then it would be a better match. The 80A ESC has a harder time with the 4 pole rotor and picking up the timing but it does run it. So basically take this as a motor report update rather than a recommended set up tip.

Its like Dungey going from a 250 2 stroke to a 450. The torque is just on tap and spread further out in the power range. The stock motor has to rev up to make torque and then falls off quickly compared to the 4 pole motor. With 5200kv you have the best of both worlds, torque and RPM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,780 Posts
Cool, thanks. So I read a bunch of pages over at rctech and it looks like the sc401 is the sensorless (red motor maybe) and the sc411 is sensored (black motor). All the 4x4 trucks seemed to need 120-150A esc. I suspect going egyro and not dealing with the mechanical gears in rear wheel helps with amp consumption/heating. I read sensored motors you get smoother power and control, so thats likes probably even more noticeable on egyro bikes. D@mn I want one now! lol. Pretty much everyone was saying the motor is a beast.
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
Both ESC versions sense the position of the rotor. The difference is one does it at the motor with Hall Sensors and the other does it on the ESC board. They both work very well but for sure there are advantages to each one.
Since the basic VMX drive system has a fair amount of reduction for the large wheel the motor will see much less load. Then remove the mechanical gyro system and its very free. Hence the long run times on lower cap packs.

So yes the motors are beasts for sure and I like'em! I'll get a data logger on a bike and see what the actual loads are but I bet the ESC is just taking a stroll in the park, its temps are negligible right now.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
149 Posts
Hey Chris,any chance you could share your complete setup with us.After all,you have been doing so much testing you must have come up with something good.I have read quite a few pages and have not seen it yet.

Also,a while back(not sure what page)you said more good things to come .What are some of those thing in the works.Another tire,rear springs,alloy swingarm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,350 Posts
I try to explain how it works more than my personal settings mainly because we all drive in different places. Its really better for you if you try things and change them and then try it again.
When the forks are working smoothly and the rear is dialed in the bike is so good you can run on a variety of terrain with little to no changes.

I like 25-35 wt up front and 80 wt in the rear with a mod piston, 2 holes. The steering damper I like heavy oil but it depends on what Im doing. I use the stock damper quite a lot actually but for more control I use 80-100wt oil.
Something else I like for more steering response is to lower the front end to make the rake angle steeper. Do this by limiting fork travel or shorter springs for more droop. The more vertical the forks are on a bike the faster you can flick it side to side. Full scale bike tuning trick

The new bike and the E-Gyro kit are he main things. Option parts may follow but no confirmation yet.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:12 AM
Wokingham, UK
Joined Feb 2005
50 Posts
mm450 UK availablilty?? I have contacted sellers of the previous bike along with UK dealers listed on Venoms 'find a dealer' (as suggested by Venom/Atomik and they say the main UK distributor thinks MM450 is too expensive to bring in to the UK. This is a blow as I held off buying whilst waiting for the new version.
Gull is online now Find More Posts by Gull