HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:21 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
There is no problem with the mechanical gyro on tarmac or most any other place we have demonstrated the VMX to run on.
The key to getting stability from the mech gyro is to keep the rpm's up and minimize your slow speed driving. That's it, nothing more to it. You have to make sure the system is working correctly through normal maintenance to get the most out of it just like anything else. If that is taken care of the VMX mechanical gyro is very tough and handles big jumps to flat ground and a lot of abuse, just watch our videos of it in action those are stock bikes!

As for the video of the VMX/ARX bash the guy is on the right track and an E-Gyro has its advantages, clearly, but I'm with you guys on the aesthetics!

Once you try the VMX tires and inserts there is no going back though, I cant do studded rubber bands!
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:25 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash goodly View Post
i've had no problem with my gyro. running on tarmac is easy with the vmx the way it comes right out of the box. just because some yokel slapped on a wheel from some other bike doesn't mean there's a problem with the stock one.
my thoughts too i think a lot of people are having issues only because they think they can come straight from racing trucks/cars and pick up a BIKE and think they will be able to blast round just as easy on 2 wheels its not going to be like that bikes are in my opinion harder to use than and take a longer learning curve to get used too but once you have taken the time to learn the fun is endless and as for my bike straight out the box the bike was a beast thanks VENOM this bike is great
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:53 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
My intention when I posted that video wasnt to diss on the mechanical gyro. Just something interesting someone did. Did it look ridiculous, YES. Showing the bike on tarmac was pointless except to show the slow speed handling. On tarmac the vmx with stock gyro is perfect when I tried it that way, especially with motard tires. It was great! Give me handling close to that on dirt tracks and Im in heaven. Same scenario for guys just wanting to bash bikes around. The mech gyro is fine enough.

For me, Its on the dirt track that I want to see my bike running its best and mechanical gyros DONT CUT IT. The hobby needs to try to expand its horizons I think. Racing is imho the next frontier (here in the USA) in order to gain more popularity. I think the 1/5 bike scene in Europe is a good example to follow. Better performance, more track time, more exposure, more potential for racing and new owners. Thats all I want and hope people see that.

John
JohnnyMc is online now Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Just sit tight and within the next 2 weeks we will have some official news for you track oriented people.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deen247 View Post
here is my bike :
Deen, where is that video mate, you need to mount your camera on your hat like i do
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:08 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie View Post
Deen, where is that video mate, you need to mount your camera on your hat like i do
all in good time mate my friend said he will do some filming for me in the next day or 2
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
My intention when I posted that video wasnt to diss on the mechanical gyro. Just something interesting someone did. Did it look ridiculous, YES. Showing the bike on tarmac was pointless except to show the slow speed handling. On tarmac the vmx with stock gyro is perfect when I tried it that way, especially with motard tires. It was great! Give me handling close to that on dirt tracks and Im in heaven. Same scenario for guys just wanting to bash bikes around. The mech gyro is fine enough.

For me, Its on the dirt track that I want to see my bike running its best and mechanical gyros DONT CUT IT. The hobby needs to try to expand its horizons I think. Racing is imho the next frontier (here in the USA) in order to gain more popularity. I think the 1/5 bike scene in Europe is a good example to follow. Better performance, more track time, more exposure, more potential for racing and new owners. Thats all I want and hope people see that.

John
Yeah i was just amused by how good he thought it was when it actually looked like it went worse i have seen the vmx perform a lot better than that stock.

I too would love to be able to rip around a track & launch the thing over jumps like i do my nitro trucks as riding on tarmac & grass with a dirt bike is boring that's why i rarely use my arx but i am going to get a e-gyro & see if it makes the difference but they just don't seem to get traction on the dirt the day someone can find a way to get the grip needed on dirt that will be a great day.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:19 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
MY VMX works brilliantly... the only issue I see is that on the local tracks.. the big knobbies don't grip well in the dusty bluegroove conditions we have here... you need more of a 'fuzzy' tire... the other thing is... most tracks around here don't let you build up enough gyro speed to maintain stability... slippery tires+low stability=not so great handling on the track... but on grass and loamy dirt where there is something for the tires to grip into.. the VMX is a BLAST... and especially in the wide open, blasting across an open grassy field with some jumps thrown in, or on asphalt with the SuperMoto tires...
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Just sit tight and within the next 2 weeks we will have some official news for you track oriented people.

Hmmm.. will it accompany that super secret video you were talking about before
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
sounds promising..

I ran my VMX in Fehring as well. The tires worked pretty good, and the bike felt great as long as the gyro was spinning fast. But in the slow sections, it simply did not get enough stability, to a point where it was impossible to drive.
The tires on the ARx are not as good, that's true. But the e-gyro gives so much stability, that it is possible to drive on dirt tracks. You just have to be extremly careful with throttle input, to keep it going. As soon as you try to "push", it's over.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Cool. Hopefully website will be functional by then.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
Hmmm.. will it accompany that super secret video you were talking about before
JIMMAHH!!

Hey man been a long time

Yeah the new video will be released and the rest of the info.

Hint-Hint... if you guys are in the Vegas area for the final round of the AMA Supercross you may see a new VMX running around, just maybe.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Well I have my 1st VMX450 on the way to me. I see Venom is making sand tires for it, do you know the eta on them?

Thanks
SoCalSteve72 is offline Find More Posts by SoCalSteve72
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Right now the sand tires are on hold...for reasons I cant explain...so if you want them guys please make it clearly known on Facebook and emails and on here so they get attention.

We have the SMR tires and track tires but again the track tires are on hold.

Use your voice and ask for these items to be released please.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:51 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Hint-Hint... if you guys are in the Vegas area for the final round of the AMA Supercross you may see a new VMX running around, just maybe.
Wont be there, bummer. You trying to get a booth setup? Hope it works out. Hey, maybe you should drive it past the Traxxas pit area and piss them...err show it off. Good luck.