HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
i just had mine out for it's first run. i had to do it in the snow. she ran great then died. i brought it in cleaned off the snow dried it abit and it turned back on agian. i think i got moisture in the on off switch. thats the only thing i can figure would shut it off. i may hard wire it in the on posistion so the model turns on as soon as the battery plugs in. it's less safe but i hate getting shorted out by a crappy switch.

my esc constantly flashes when turned on but stops flashing when running. the bike works fine but the esc booklet says it should flash green when running forward, i have no green light at all, and red when running backwards and no light at all when sitting stil. does anyone else have this same flashing or do i have a problem? please and thanks.

mark.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
I think mine was doing that but not sure it to was running perfectly fine still not sure if I want to keep it.
this thing is different going to mess with it if it does not end up on ebay
11rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by 11rcflyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11rcflyer View Post
I think mine was doing that but not sure it to was running perfectly fine still not sure if I want to keep it.
this thing is different going to mess with it if it does not end up on ebay
i realy like this thing. they need to be tinkered with but so does everything else. it tears down easy so repairs don't take very long. mine handles great and i was in snow that was a little to deep for an electric anything.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:17 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Yep, the Switch does not like moisture at all. After two snow sessions, and 2 batteries in the wet, it simply stopped working. Ripped it off, and hard-wired it to on
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Yep, the Switch does not like moisture at all. After two snow sessions, and 2 batteries in the wet, it simply stopped working. Ripped it off, and hard-wired it to on
thanks. i've run into this with switches in cars, planes, and boats as well. i'm trying to get a hold of venom so i can get a set of metal gear. mine works fine for now but there is no way those plastics will last. thanks again for chiming in on the soggy switch issue.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
just got a pm from chris. pmed him last night and he responded this morning thats what i call fast. they will toss me a set of gear for the bike no charge. i'm liking their service.

just got a call from customer service. my gear are on the way. i've realy never had faster service from the hobby industry in the 40 years i've been playing with rc models of every kind. i have read through this thread and having one of these bikes it is about as good quality as i've seen. yes it has a few small issues but noyhing that a little tinkering can't take care of. all rc models need to be tinkered with it's part of our hobby, but when it's thought out and designed for ease of maintenance thats a real plus for me. thanks chris and all the staff at venom.

mark...
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 20, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,335 Posts
Hey guys,

We just returned from some epic filming with the VMX so stay tuned for a new video soon.

On the switch issue if you spray some silicone lube or similar in it that will help against the moisture. Also if you glued a part of a balloon to it and sealed the case it will be much better. Hard wiring the ESC is OK too just be careful.

The plastic gears with some care and set up will last a long time. We have some customers who still use them. The steel gears are the way to go ultimately and we will supply a set to customers who buy a new Ver. 1.0 bike with plastic gears.

On the ESC if you have reverse working then you need to set it to the forward only profile. We use the same ESC for the Gambler race truck so it does have a normal profile program and VMX FWD/BRK only profile.
Check on that and all should be fine as long as its working then its good to go.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Hey guys,

We just returned from some epic filming with the VMX so stay tuned for a new video soon.

On the switch issue if you spray some silicone lube or similar in it that will help against the moisture. Also if you glued a part of a balloon to it and sealed the case it will be much better. Hard wiring the ESC is OK too just be careful.

The plastic gears with some care and set up will last a long time. We have some customers who still use them. The steel gears are the way to go ultimately and we will supply a set to customers who buy a new Ver. 1.0 bike with plastic gears.

On the ESC if you have reverse working then you need to set it to the forward only profile. We use the same ESC for the Gambler race truck so it does have a normal profile program and VMX FWD/BRK only profile.
Check on that and all should be fine as long as its working then its good to go.
it's all fixed and working fine now.the gears even with the plastics running in there do work fine after i set them to what you said. having gone the extra distance and putting out all metal just shows your commitment to the hobby and i'll back that with my hobby dollars any day of the week. thanks for the help. can't wait for the new goodies coming out.

mark.
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 20, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Mine came off ebay brand new in the box with plastic gears had it out twice but my home made crash bars did not work with coat hanger not strong enough.
Also forgot to glue the gear cover and lost that in the yard somewhere.
Have to look for it
The bike is kinda cool but its still cold here and I just don't feel like messing with it right now.
I will give it some time but between work and flying indoor and a 7 month old son there is not that much time for RC anymore.
Here and there
this bike may take more time then I am going to have.
the plastic gears are ok for now but I am planning on calling them here to see if I can get a set of metal ones.
Chris can you help me out there ?
thanks for all the great info on the bike guys made my first time out trouble free other then I am not used to driving a bike.
11rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by 11rcflyer
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Hey guys,

looking forward to the new vmx video
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11rcflyer View Post
Mine came off ebay brand new in the box with plastic gears had it out twice but my home made crash bars did not work with coat hanger not strong enough.
Also forgot to glue the gear cover and lost that in the yard somewhere.
Have to look for it
The bike is kinda cool but its still cold here and I just don't feel like messing with it right now.
I will give it some time but between work and flying indoor and a 7 month old son there is not that much time for RC anymore.
Here and there
this bike may take more time then I am going to have.
the plastic gears are ok for now but I am planning on calling them here to see if I can get a set of metal ones.
Chris can you help me out there ?
thanks for all the great info on the bike guys made my first time out trouble free other then I am not used to driving a bike.
Yeah that's a tough situation to really get enough time to yourself for some RC fun. It will change in time Im sure so hang on to the VMX and enjoy it when you can.
As for the gears PM me your email and I'll get you in touch with the guys to help you out.

Chris
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,335 Posts
Hey guys I put out the Pepsi Challenge a long time ago to bring to light any extreme action videos out there featuring any RC dirt bike other than the VMX....I got ZERO replies!!

SO... fast forward to today about a year later and Im asking for the same thing. I'll post a new thread for this too so redirect to the new thread if you have any videos.

Its hard to talk about what we have been up to and not let the cat out of the bag but let just say that the VMX is for sure the most capable RC MX bike I have ever seen. We have been busy just putting the VMX through some serious terrain and through it all we are just blown away by what you can do and get away with and we hope you will be too.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
i got notification from venom that my gear went in the mail today. with all the available parts and this kind of service. i plan on beating the snot out of my vmx as often as i can. chris there is realy nothing else out there that does dirt and snow for that matter like the vmx. it's been along time since an rc model got me this excited.
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 21, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
Kingdom of Sweden, Scania County, Helsingborg
Joined Oct 2011
18 Posts
I want to se that video
alex_side is offline Find More Posts by alex_side
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,652 Posts
Hey Chris... I sent you a text message... hit me back when you get the chance