Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:57 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
From previous page...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
...Going to try re-treading tire with something that may be suitable for local track if it holds up Towerhobbies, Proline Revolver VTR M2 w/o insert for $17. Gonna be a couple weeks but I'll report findings.
Havent taken it out (hopefully tomorrow!), just fit tire on a rear mx tire with shaved off knobbies. I will try using shoegoo instead of ca. The fit is so tight it almost deforms the tire & insert which is not good. This tire is rated m2 (medium) however going with proline's m3 (soft) compound would help with stretching, otherwise Id have to reduce size of insert. Tires where cheap so I went with this one first. Other question is going to be if the knobbies will hold up to stress or will m3 soft be better. In terms of grip m3 is better, but strength is concern too. Im venturing into unchartered waters...
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:37 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
The m3 Compound is too soft for those heavy Bikes!
The m2 Compound holds up way better!
But I have to admit my Tests were done on an ARx Bike, that has no insert between rim and tire.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
I'll help you out.
I've used M3 and other super soft rubber tires and that is the way to go. The grip on track is great. Ive run several packs on this set up and they hold up for quite a bit of abuse. Just do not run it on pavement.
Use a PL truggy tire and use rubber cement but first prepare the two with a Dremel sanding drum to take off the ribs and smooth out the lugs on the MX tire.

You will also need to adjust the steering damper due to the increased front grip. I used up to 100wt oil in the damper to get faster steering from lock to lock. The issue is keeping the front wheel down in order to steer so throttle use and set up become the next subject.

It's awesome so I'm looking forward to your results, I liked what I tried on track.

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
I'll help you out.
I've used M3 and other super soft rubber tires and that is the way to go. The grip on track is great. Ive run several packs on this set up and they hold up for quite a bit of abuse. Just do not run it on pavement.
Use a PL truggy tire and use rubber cement but first prepare the two with a Dremel sanding drum to take off the ribs and smooth out the lugs on the MX tire.

You will also need to adjust the steering damper due to the increased front grip. I used up to 100wt oil in the damper to get faster steering from lock to lock. The issue is keeping the front wheel down in order to steer so throttle use and set up become the next subject.

It's awesome so I'm looking forward to your results, I liked what I tried on track.

Chris
Thanks for the tips. Im back to square one with setup unfortunately.

Inital traction test - looks promising and worth my while to continue testing. I was able to hit the local track with the bike last friday, but the test only lasted 1 battery. It was enough to get hopes up though. I did record some video and theres a few clips worth showing (will try to get that up soon).

Honestly, I screwed up. I was suppose to try both stock and the new tire back to back, but ran out of time in the day so the new tire tread was ran first and only. The tread actually slipped off the tire towards end of first battery, however none of the individual pins came off. So, tread life is unknown, but at least I didnt see pins shredding off either. Thats good! I used shoegoo and with a qtip I dabbed like 6 spots around each side of tire, but nothing in center. The dust and tire flex broke the bond I guess. I will have to try rubber cement and be more generous this time. Maybe a couple dots of ca for good measure.

Track had rain for a day maybe 3 days prior so it was hardpack with a lot of dust washed away in the flat sections leaving a little bit dusty in the corners. Track was bone dry (due to 70 degree weather all week) and bumpy making turning harder than usual because the bike bobbles n wobbles even more than usual.

Traction: In the spots with almost no dust, it was so good the bike would stand upright like driving on the street when you give a good squeeze of throttle. I havnt seen that since I ran supermoto 8 months ago. In one instance bike pulled a wheelie out of a turn by mistake as I was trying to get up to speed to make a double jump but crashed (got it on video). In the dusty sections the bike was still a handful but the tire tread seemed to work better - more planted.

I'll have to do a proper re-test with stock vs modded tire soon so I can really guage feel and compare video. Next shopping spree I might get the m3 compound and experiment with the front tire if possible.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Yeah sounds about right but for sure you need more track time.
The rubber cement works ok and I have not had one failure. I made many sets of tires this way. The truggy tires are the right diameter and stretch perfectly around a prepared MXR.
Between the stretch and the rubber cement there shouldnt be any issue.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
When are these going to be 'official?'
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Soon, later this summer I think.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,654 Posts
Yay!!!
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Soon, later this summer I think.
hi i just bought one of these it doesn't say wether or not it has the metal gears but shows them as an option on the box. could you tell me if this means i have the plastic gear? please and thanks.

mark.
crash goodly is offline Find More Posts by crash goodly
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash goodly View Post
hi i just bought one of these it doesn't say wether or not it has the metal gears but shows them as an option on the box. could you tell me if this means i have the plastic gear? please and thanks.

mark.
Where did you get it from? New or used? I just got mine today, I have a paper that has VMX Updates at the top. It shows the updates that have been done to the bike.
HiLuckyB is offline Find More Posts by HiLuckyB
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLuckyB View Post
Where did you get it from? New or used? I just got mine today, I have a paper that has VMX Updates at the top. It shows the updates that have been done to the bike.
thanks... i got it new in ontario. it looks like i got one that didn't get the updates. i opened up the wheel and i've dgot two metal and two plastic gears. i take it that the two plastic ones are the ones that need to be replaced with metal ones. gonna go through the slipper clutch now to see if it needs to be corrected as well.
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash goodly View Post
thanks... i got it new in ontario. it looks like i got one that didn't get the updates. i opened up the wheel and i've dgot two metal and two plastic gears. i take it that the two plastic ones are the ones that need to be replaced with metal ones. gonna go through the slipper clutch now to see if it needs to be corrected as well.
Im surprised there are older none metal gear bikes out there still. Im sure Venom will send you a set of metal gears.
HiLuckyB is offline Find More Posts by HiLuckyB
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLuckyB View Post
Im surprised there are older none metal gear bikes out there still. Im sure Venom will send you a set of metal gears.
yeah.. canada we're slow. i reset my slipper as it had an 8mm gap when spread everything including the timing marks was out of whack. you could feel the bind on every rotation of the wheel. it feels very smooth now. the plastic gears gotta go. i dialed in the slip on the clutch so she shouldn't kill it for awhile, some throttle curve tweaking and she'll be good to go until it doesn't. thanks for the input.

mark
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Read the entire forum tried the bike not for me
Anybody want it call me or email me
300.00 free shipping
Bike is almost brand new little dirty everything has been done to it
Set screw on drive gear
pinion and slipper set
gyro set to 2.5
bike is green
right side peg slightly damaged.
Fastrz2879@hotmail.com
814-450-6973
11rcflyer is offline Find More Posts by 11rcflyer
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,582 Posts
i just watched the you tube vid on the steering damper and the spring is on the servo side. mine came with the spring facing the fork. is there a reason as to why it should face the servo? please and thanks.
Last edited by crash goodly; Feb 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM.