Yep that's right.
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Slipping motor axis

Hello,
I am the happy owner of this wonderful bike, but I have a problem with it since I have it: it slips! At the beginning, I thought it was due to a bad setting of the slipper, but it did not fix the pbm. So I checked the pinions, but they were all ok.
I heard the motor running, but the motor axis didn't turn!
So, I took the motor to pieces, and I discoverd that the magnetic cylinder was dissociated from the motor axis.
My question is: can I find a way to fix it by myself (with cyano glue?), or do I have to contact my vendor to have a replacement axis?
Thank you for your advices!
Pierral is offline Find More Posts by Pierral
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:02 PM
gjw
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRoyFly View Post
I agree with the statement that if the shock piston stops short of the bottom or is sticking it's probably extra flashing from the mold on the edge of it. I carefully filed mine and it really smoothed the action out.

I understand the configuration of the rear alloy shock and that it does not have a bladder. It is an emulsion style shock so it permits a mixture of air and oil to control dampening as stated below.
I've given the piston a good rub down with sand paper to remove any flash but it still sticks when it gets down to the lower 1/3 of the piston casing. Unless the metal ones are different inner diameter to the original I'm pretty sure it's most likely flash left in the metal case.
gjw is offline Find More Posts by gjw
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:36 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierral View Post
Hello,
I am the happy owner of this wonderful bike, but I have a problem with it since I have it: it slips! At the beginning, I thought it was due to a bad setting of the slipper, but it did not fix the pbm. So I checked the pinions, but they were all ok.
I heard the motor running, but the motor axis didn't turn!
So, I took the motor to pieces, and I discoverd that the magnetic cylinder was dissociated from the motor axis.
My question is: can I find a way to fix it by myself (with cyano glue?), or do I have to contact my vendor to have a replacement axis?
Thank you for your advices!
Hello Pierral,

Just send us the motor and we will take a look and replace it for you no problem. You will probably not be able to fix it adequately and it is covered under warranty so its better to just send it to us.

Customer Service
Venom Group International
14028 N. Ohio St.
Rathdrum, ID 83858

Place the motor in a small shipping box or padded envelope and include your information and a short letter to describe the problem. If you have the purchase receipt that would be good to include a copy of it as well.

If you have any questions let me know.

Chris
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Thank you Chris for your quick answer!

That's what I fear... I'm disapointed because I'm currently on hollidays on sea side, and running the VMX on the beach was excellent!

I'm in France, and I bought it on a french site, so wouldn't it be better to see with the site who sold it to me instead of senfing it to you directly?
Else, do you want I send only the motor axis, or the whole motor?

I have another question about the front shocks: when static, the shocks are blocked and I have to unblock them before using the bike. When they move there is no pbm, they move freely, but as soon as I let it static, it's blocked again.
It's not a big issue but I'd. Line to know if I can do somerhing to avoid that?
Thanks again.
Pierral
Pierral is offline Find More Posts by Pierral
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:29 PM
Largescale Masters
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Front brake kit

Hi All,

Firstly may I say its nice to see the designer of the VMX so active on this forum which is why I have joined. Well done Chris and Venom! I would also like to add I have been reading the threads here and it seems like the vmx has still got some issues to be delt with, or maybe its user errors!!

Personally I have purchased one not too long ago and it went wrong before I ran it. The ESC failed. The customer service I recieved however was second to none. This is very important. The bike is now back with me after being away for a few days.

That said here is my question. I plan on fitting the front brake kit and would simply like to know where the servo is supposed to be mounted. I would also like to know if my bike has come with the upgraded metal gears in the rear wheel without me having to open it up. It was bought 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
Makki91 is offline Find More Posts by Makki91
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
Malaysia, Johor, Johor Bahru
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
New VMX 450 Owner

Hi everybody!! New VMX 450 owner here from Malaysia. I've been following this thread for some time and waited till the upgraded vmx came out before taking the plunge.
The vmx 450 is really great. Scale looks, easy to control and quite tough. I had a Quanum QRF 400 before this, it was cheap but parts used to break each tie i took it out and I spent more time repairing than playing!
The tips and tweaks suggested by u guys really helped in setting up the vmx! As someone on this forum said RTR actually means Ready To Rebuild/Repair!

I had a few issues which were sorted out by my local dealer here in Malaysia.
1. Front fork wheel clamp broke (bought a new set)
2. ESC went dead after I tried to calibrate it to my own transmitter (esc was replaced FOC by local dealer. I guess the Venom after sales service in Malaysia is just as good as elsewhere.)
3. Brass pinion & spur gear wore out after about 10 packs which is quite surprising even though the gap was set correctly (waiting to buy spares)
4. Brass gyro sun gear is starting to wear out (why was it not made of steel?)

Other than the above it's a great bike and a real head turner!!!

And thanks to Chris Nicastro who takes the trouble to answer and sort out out problems unlike some other RC companies who just sell their products and once they get your hard earned cash they don't bother anymore!!!

I'm doing a few mods to my vmx and i'll post them from time to time.

My first mod is to put a small wheel on the rear fender wire so that the wire does not drag on the ground while wheelie-ing. U can use an old pulley wheel or airplane wheel. I also found a way to secure the fender wire to the chassis so that it does not bend upwards and damage the bodyshell.

By the way should I post here of at "Venom VMX 450 RTR Tips"
Regards,
Nachi
Nachiappan is offline Find More Posts by Nachiappan
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierral View Post
Thank you Chris for your quick answer!

That's what I fear... I'm disapointed because I'm currently on hollidays on sea side, and running the VMX on the beach was excellent!

I'm in France, and I bought it on a french site, so wouldn't it be better to see with the site who sold it to me instead of senfing it to you directly?
Else, do you want I send only the motor axis, or the whole motor?

I have another question about the front shocks: when static, the shocks are blocked and I have to unblock them before using the bike. When they move there is no pbm, they move freely, but as soon as I let it static, it's blocked again.
It's not a big issue but I'd. Line to know if I can do somerhing to avoid that?
Thanks again.

Pierral
The best thing is to send me the complete motor, they will probably not do anything about the motor but you can ask them anyway.
The fork seals, o-rings, will squeeze the oil away from the fork shaft and so it will be dry momentarily. Cycle the forks a couple times and it goes away. This happens when the forks sit for a while and its normal.

Chris
Last edited by Chris Nicastro; Feb 06, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makki91 View Post
Hi All,

That said here is my question. I plan on fitting the front brake kit and would simply like to know where the servo is supposed to be mounted. I would also like to know if my bike has come with the upgraded metal gears in the rear wheel without me having to open it up. It was bought 2 weeks ago.

Thanks
Thanks and your welcome!
The front brake kit servo will mount in the chassis next to the steering servo in the smaller slot. Currently the ESC capacitors are probably occupying that location but you will relocate them in a hanging position. Most any mini size servo will work so if you want to increase the servo/braking power that is an easy option later on.
As for the steel gears I cant say without opening the wheel because its either new older stock or new stock. I'd recommend you open the wheel to familiarize yourself with it and also to double check the assembly.

Chris
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,315 Posts
Thanks Nachiappan, its great to hear from customers all over the world!

The brass front sprocket will wear differently depending on the condition its run in like sand or snow, each have different characteristics. The gear was made in brass to keep costs lower and brass is easier to work in than steel.
The sun gear is now made is steel so its way more durable. You can flip the brass sun gear over and get twice the life out of it, that was done on purpose to extend the service life. Once you wear this one out you can upgrade to steel.

Chris
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:24 PM
Largescale Masters
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
Thanks and your welcome!
The front brake kit servo will mount in the chassis next to the steering servo in the smaller slot. Currently the ESC capacitors are probably occupying that location but you will relocate them in a hanging position. Most any mini size servo will work so if you want to increase the servo/braking power that is an easy option later on.
As for the steel gears I cant say without opening the wheel because its either new older stock or new stock. I'd recommend you open the wheel to familiarize yourself with it and also to double check the assembly.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

I will open the rear wheel once my brake kit arrives and I am in maintenance mode. The wheel on the rear looks like a good idea too so will try that mod by Nachi!

Will keep you all informed.

Makki
Makki91 is offline Find More Posts by Makki91
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
DIY Chain Tensioner

My vmx chain became slack after every few runs. I tightened down the rear axle nuts, filed down the blocks, even bolted down the blocks to the rear swing arm but the axle spacers kept sliding forward. So I did this mod to prevent the axle spacers from sliding forward by putting a small 1mm thick plastic strip between the spacers and the swing arm. U can adjust the thickness or use metal strips depending on the gap needed.
Regards,
Nachi
Last edited by Nachiappan; Feb 06, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:32 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,740 Posts
step 1 complete

hmmm...
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Hi Johnny , that's a good idea. Is that a buggy tire (1/10 or 1/8?) What is the size and did u put it over the original vmx tire / is there an insert / is it glued to the rim / beadlocked?
Regards,
Nachi
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,315 Posts
You can try a truggy tire over a smoothed MX tire.