HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:32 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
I have probably 20-22 pack through mine and haven't had a single problem except a cracked steering stem bracket or whatever they call it, The bike hit a curb head on and tumbled for what seemed like 50 feet. Did the modification I think done by TopDave where I filled it in with epoxy and added the third grommet to put the bolt through, I haven't had a chance to run it since, I love this bike, bring smiles to my face everytime I run it!
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:23 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Mach 1 View Post
I have probably 20-22 pack through mine and haven't had a single problem except a cracked steering stem bracket or whatever they call it, The bike hit a curb head on and tumbled for what seemed like 50 feet. Did the modification I think done by TopDave where I filled it in with epoxy and added the third grommet to put the bolt through, I haven't had a chance to run it since, I love this bike, bring smiles to my face everytime I run it!
Hi 70 Mach1, Still running after a year, altho' I've been lucky enough not to have hit a curb.....YET! Don't forget to remove some of the material on the frame
behind the steering bracket with a dremel while you have the bracket out. Enough to let the bracket float on the rubber. You only need about 1 or 2 mm's of clearance (the wall thickness of the grommet) This allows the grommets to cushion the impacts-kind of like a crashback system works. I think I have sketches back there somewhere....good luck!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:29 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Thanks TopD! I had read where you took some material off, it looked like mine had a couple mm's space so I left it alone, I'll look again and maybe take some material off just for safety sake.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:21 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Mach 1 View Post
Thanks TopD! I had read where you took some material off, it looked like mine had a couple mm's space so I left it alone, I'll look again and maybe take some material off just for safety sake.
Yeah, could be, mine was a very early model so they may be different. I know the newer ones have different frame parts.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
I'll try shorter bars, I can't even turn it slightly without pushing (without the bars even touching the pavement). In a straight line, the tire really hooks up and it flys!, never seen the thing move like this. You would think the rear has enough traction to pop it around a turn like the dirt tire does when it digs in, I have the front up all the time in the dirt no problem. This is going to take some tinkering. Seems someplace there were vids of the bike driving slowly with the street tires, would be interesting to see the technique the driver was using.
I got it to turn, cut down the crashbars and took it to a big lot, this is a whole different style of driving you need to learn. The thing accelerates quickly on the motard tires, and you basically "slide" turn it like an ice racer or flat track bike. I was running on wet pavement which added another facet of driving, but it was getting traction. Maybe these tires would work on hardpacked dirt with a little modification? For $23 for the tires ,I at least got to experience road riding, the VMX will handle real world pavement to, a pot hole or two doesn't bother it that much. I don't think I want a road bike (or any other rc bike in the near future), but at least I got to experience blasting one around on pavement the tires look cool to.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Last edited by RICH S; Jun 16, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:06 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
90 Posts
my vmx

Name: 100_0011.jpg
Views: 135
Size: 265.9 KB
Description: my vmx,needs a clean haaai got my vmx when firs released,its been a blast still has the wobble prob but working on it to minimise this prob apart from that it sweet,got motard tyers and a few other spares including chains, wheels, lexan bodies,going to do a ktm paint job will post pic when done.for all you guys who have not purchased the front brake kit in my opinion donot bother,sure its cheap at $23bucks,but after lots of settings adjustments ect i cannot get it to work real well,also i found those nylon guide wires freakn crap they just snap at the mounts.
UFRC is offline Find More Posts by UFRC
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:41 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
I disagree on the brake. I think every bit of extra braking power is beneficial, so being a cheap upgrade is worth it in my opinion. Servo didnt last at all though.

I agree fully on the venom nylon guides. Not only are they brittle, but not thick enough for the weight of this bike. When laid on the side they flexed so much that bike couldnt get back up after a crash on low grip surfaces. I tried them on my dx450 and they still snapped on that bike after 1 run too. That bike is like 2.5lbs lighter too.

As for my bike, I think its gonna go up for sale soon.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:16 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Why Johnny?
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Dec 05, 2011, 02:28 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
90 Posts
rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
I disagree on the brake. I think every bit of extra braking power is beneficial, so being a cheap upgrade is worth it in my opinion. Servo didnt last at all though.

I agree fully on the venom nylon guides. Not only are they brittle, but not thick enough for the weight of this bike. When laid on the side they flexed so much that bike couldnt get back up after a crash on low grip surfaces. I tried them on my dx450 and they still snapped on that bike after 1 run too. That bike is like 2.5lbs lighter too.

As for my bike, I think its gonna go up for sale soon.
yes johnny i stand corrected on the front brake,you do have a true point my friend,i guess it depends how good you tuning skills are, mine not so good......Next time i am in california i could catch up with you and sort my bike !!haaaaa,................ .IF its money reasons your selling that SUX man you have put many hours and cash into your bike,i am sure someone will get a bargain,as you know you loose money from investment,why are you selling?
Old Dec 06, 2011, 02:19 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 621clay View Post
Why Johnny?
Dont want to deter this thread from the subject, nor deter potential owners. Everyone's situation is different, so the bike has to fit the owner's intent and expectations. Id like to get racing started for dirt bikes, thats the dream at least. I need a bike that can get around the entire track, even on poor traction situations like we have in California with dusty tracks. In addition the more options to make the bike stable, like changing the flywheel weight or ability to make tires from buggy tires could help a lot. I bought 3 rc vehicles this year, 2 dirt bikes and 1 truck. I told myself that in these financial times, its 1 bike and 1 truck (sc10), thats it. Im gonna try to hit the local track one last time before I decide. I could write a lot more but its premature atm.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
I understand that
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:35 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Johnny, I know I appreciate all the hard work and advice you and others have given on this forum, I can totally understand where you are coming from with the bike, I am fortunately a basher and not a racer so just bashing around the dirt hills with a few jumps is much different than racing.....doubt I could make it 1/4 way around the track with this thing but I love bashing with my daughter who happens to be a gearhead and likes to make things work as much as I do so the little or a lot of tinkering that this thing takes is ok. Although if I want to really bash hard I take the Savage or Revo out....if I want to really crash hard I take the Heli out...now that get expensive!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:27 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
90 Posts
johnny,good luck with that hope you get what you want for your bike,no disrespect to you but that sounds like my wife talking to me(why dont you sell some so you got one of each!!no way i say i love my back room sure its overcrowded with,planes, buggies,truggys, boats, hellis, bikes,....i worked hard for that!!....im the same as 70 mach one do not race comp freeride bashing .I do think the VMX can 100% be used for dirtbike comp racing,you just need the right TRACK,eg-smooth flowing with good traction dirt with some grass sections i guess.Now if you are trying to drive it around a typical tight hard pack buggy truggy track not so good,IS there any rc dirt bike out there that will perform on 4wheel tracks???...............When or if VENOM make the VMX 2.0you can forfill you dirtbike racing dreams
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:53 AM
AR Racing
Italy, near Milan
Joined Mar 2005
930 Posts
UFRC,
there are bikes out there that can do it...
Just look videos.
Ciao.
Jena67 is offline Find More Posts by Jena67
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFRC View Post
johnny,good luck with that hope you get what you want for your bike,no disrespect to you but that sounds like my wife talking to me(why dont you sell some so you got one of each!!no way i say i love my back room sure its overcrowded with,planes, buggies,truggys, boats, hellis, bikes,....i worked hard for that!!....im the same as 70 mach one do not race comp freeride bashing .I do think the VMX can 100% be used for dirtbike comp racing,you just need the right TRACK,eg-smooth flowing with good traction dirt with some grass sections i guess.Now if you are trying to drive it around a typical tight hard pack buggy truggy track not so good,IS there any rc dirt bike out there that will perform on 4wheel tracks???...............When or if VENOM make the VMX 2.0you can forfill you dirtbike racing dreams

Man I agree - it's tough to get a bike around a tight buggy track. I've tried at the one here in houston and the killer is always the small/steep jumps after a tight curve. Even if the bike stays up, I have too many problems lining it up for the jump because there is not enough momentum to go straight. If I make the jump it usually flies off the track or into the next lane.

-rskip
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip