HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
70 Mach 1's Avatar
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
I'm running mine bone stock, it had the metal gears already installed so all I did was go through make sure screws had lock tight on them and lube them up, I'm using automotive cam break in lube and it's worked like a charm. Other than that a few adjustments here and there and all is still good, can't wait til this weekend when I can put a few or 20 more packs through it.
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:43 PM
Registered User
Disposable Hero's Avatar
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Mach 1 View Post
I'm running mine bone stock, it had the metal gears already installed so all I did was go through make sure screws had lock tight on them and lube them up, I'm using automotive cam break in lube and it's worked like a charm. Other than that a few adjustments here and there and all is still good, can't wait til this weekend when I can put a few or 20 more packs through it.
where did you purchase yours? I'd rather buy from a seller that has the metal gear version as opposed to buying one just to rip it apart to install them after the fact?
thanks
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
Registered User
70 Mach 1's Avatar
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
I purchased mine from the LHS who ordered it in for me, it was the first one they had ordered for anyone, so far I'm very happy with it. Coming from running many different Nitro trucks, Electric Helis (Many Crashes) and numerous airplanes I'm not afraid to do a little maintenace to keep thing going so tearing into the rear wheel is a walk in the park but not really needed until many runs once everything is inspected and lubed up the first time. Just my 2 cents
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:43 PM
Registered User
70 Mach 1's Avatar
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Just had another great day with the VMX, once again my daughter and I took her Savage xs and my VMX out, boy did we have a blast!...only complaint I have is I don't have enough batteries. What a fun bike! 4 more packs though it and it didn't miss a beat, my daughter was even ripping off a few cool wheelies and some not so cool crashes...all good!
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
Akura2's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,644 Posts
Hey Chris... any news on the track tires?
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Chris Nicastro's Avatar
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2 View Post
Hey Chris... any news on the track tires?
Nothing yet. Keep you posted Im working on it...
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:51 AM
Registered User
rhino131's Avatar
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
rhino131 is offline Find More Posts by rhino131
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:40 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Driving With The Motard Tires?

I fitted a set to my bike, I could never get it to turn on pavement with the dirt tires. Any tips on getting the bike to handle on the street tires?
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 06:56 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,738 Posts
Traction on a clean parking lot was great for me. I was driving it around an unused commercial complex. I think at that point I started to increase weight of oil in steering damper and increased steering response on radio for quick turning. You will want to upgrade to like 1/4 in nylon 6/6 rods for crash bars as the stock metal wears out fast. The toes of riders feet begin to grind off at this point so dont bolt the feet down with stock method. Either leave them unbolted, or what I did was create stirups that hold the feet as close to bike as possible. This keeps feet straight and the footpeg will scrape if anything. Finally, when you get some serious leaning going, Ive seen pics from Europe where footpegs are removed. The street guys can give you better advice on setup though.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:48 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Traction on a clean parking lot was great for me. I was driving it around an unused commercial complex. I think at that point I started to increase weight of oil in steering damper and increased steering response on radio for quick turning. You will want to upgrade to like 1/4 in nylon 6/6 rods for crash bars as the stock metal wears out fast. The toes of riders feet begin to grind off at this point so dont bolt the feet down with stock method. Either leave them unbolted, or what I did was create stirups that hold the feet as close to bike as possible. This keeps feet straight and the footpeg will scrape if anything. Finally, when you get some serious leaning going, Ive seen pics from Europe where footpegs are removed. The street guys can give you better advice on setup though.

Thanks, I already lost the toes a while back, and hated those bolts ( I use black rubber bands to hold the rider on). I figured for the price of the tires, I could do a little road riding without having to buy another bike. Do they make a sand paddler tire also? if so, any pics of them on the bike?

Thanks
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:17 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Still Can't Turn?

The motard tires look really nice, took the bike to a lot wound it up and on the straight it's a lot faster, but I still can't get the thing to turn, it pushes bad with no turning. If I hit the throttle hard out of a turn, it just spins out. Any suggestions? Does the gyro/sterring/throtlle need differnt settings? I've seen the vids so I know it turns
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:56 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,738 Posts
Just curious are you on the crashbars when turning? All pressure gets taken off front if so and you end up going straight. For street I had a separate pair of nylon crashbars a bit shorter for more lean angle. I forgot to mention that. Otherwise, sounds like you got a slippery surface. I know if I hit a portion of pavement with light dust/sand it acts like marbles on the ground. My 2 cents.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:36 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Just curious are you on the crashbars when turning? All pressure gets taken off front if so and you end up going straight. For street I had a separate pair of nylon crashbars a bit shorter for more lean angle. I forgot to mention that. Otherwise, sounds like you got a slippery surface. I know if I hit a portion of pavement with light dust/sand it acts like marbles on the ground. My 2 cents.
I'll try shorter bars, I can't even turn it slightly without pushing (without the bars even touching the pavement). In a straight line, the tire really hooks up and it flys!, never seen the thing move like this. You would think the rear has enough traction to pop it around a turn like the dirt tire does when it digs in, I have the front up all the time in the dirt no problem. This is going to take some tinkering. Seems someplace there were vids of the bike driving slowly with the street tires, would be interesting to see the technique the driver was using.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
68 Posts
$450.00 bucks I wish I had back

Sitting on the shelf AGAIN in need of more repairs. I have never worked on a RC item this much in my life, I raced full size MX and didn't need to do repairs half as much as this venom vmx, not to mention needing to do all these upgrades to make this $450.00 toy work.
Bladerunner1955 is offline Find More Posts by Bladerunner1955
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
68 Posts
dont worry it will be broken before you can have any trouble with your battery
Bladerunner1955 is offline Find More Posts by Bladerunner1955
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HoobyKing new dirt bike vs. venom vmx 450 amitgv1 Motorcycles 19 Oct 13, 2010 11:09 AM
Discussion Duratrax DX450 VS. Venom VMX 450 Butters Motorcycles 31 Mar 18, 2010 03:41 PM
Discussion VMX 1/4 Scale Dirt Bike Venom Media Venom 4 Mar 01, 2010 06:41 PM
Discussion Venom VMX 450 MX Bike! Mark Headling Motorcycles 2 Feb 09, 2010 11:44 AM
Discussion The Original 1/4 Scale RC nitro dirt bike from the 70's Magicd1 Motorcycles 6 Oct 02, 2006 02:06 AM