SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Mach 1 View Post
Thanks Chris, so far so good! Haven't had a chance to go drive...errrr I mean ride since it gets dark too early and the cold weather is setting in..this weekend will have to to be the maiden if it's not snowing.
Snow is no problem have you seen the videos?
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
I have seen the video, not worried about the bike...just my whimpy self. I look at it as a good way to get myself used to the cold weather, just hope I hold up ok
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
We drive below 20F and the bike does alright so get your winter gear on and head out!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
14 Posts
got my vmx today and it last about 30 seconds. the little clip came off don't know where and the chain came off. hacked off is an understatement. anyone know where i can get the clips from in the uk? its the same size chain thats on my mini moto but that chain doesn't have a link on it
quik97 is offline Find More Posts by quik97
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quik97 View Post
got my vmx today and it last about 30 seconds. the little clip came off don't know where and the chain came off. hacked off is an understatement. anyone know where i can get the clips from in the uk? its the same size chain thats on my mini moto but that chain doesn't have a link on it
Are you missing just the retaining clip or the whole master link? If you have every thing except the clip you can use fine wire wrapped around the grooves in the link pins. That will retain the side plate because ther is no side load on the plate. Just wrap the wire around the two pin grooves and twist the ends of the wire together as you would safety wire. I have used this and never had a failure. Good luck!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:54 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Are you missing just the retaining clip or the whole master link? If you have every thing except the clip you can use fine wire wrapped around the grooves in the link pins. That will retain the side plate because ther is no side load on the plate. Just wrap the wire around the two pin grooves and twist the ends of the wire together as you would safety wire. I have used this and never had a failure. Good luck!
Thats clever. How small? If I split open a thick gauge wire, could I use one of those strands? PS: TopDave, I sent you a pm.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
quick97, you seem to be UK based. Where are you?
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:30 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Thats clever. How small? If I split open a thick gauge wire, could I use one of those strands? PS: TopDave, I sent you a pm.
Hi Johnny, Yes you could use a strand of copper wire , altho' stainless safety wire is alot tougher. As long as it fits snugly in the groove it'll be fine.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Put 5 packs through the VMX and I have to say AWESOME bike! Went out to a baseball field with my 12 year old Daughter with her HPI Savage xs, we had a riot tearing it up, wheelies, jumps, flips, tumbles and near head on misses with the Savage we had a blast! Opened the rear wheel up and inspected everything and it was still like new, cleaned, re-lubed and buttoned it back up, I'm using Ceramic Wax lube on the chain and it's as tight as it was the day it was new. Gotta say as long as you follow the information on this forum you can't go wrong! Thank you all and Venom!
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:21 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,203 Posts
Quik: you could also use two small E-clips. I raced a chain for a whole season that way.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
quick97, you seem to be UK based. Where are you?
Peterbourgh and Sheffield
quik97 is offline Find More Posts by quik97
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:41 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Just enquiring as to see if you were near any of the bike clubs.

It's a lot easier sorting things out when you have a bunch of like minded souls around.

Peterborough to Aldershot would be quite a hike but Sheffield to Skipton is do-able within a reasonable time frame. One of the Skippy crew lives Sheffield way. Pop up when you can, you will find the calendar for dates by clicking here.

We mainly run 1/5 road stuff but a few of the regulars have M5's and ARX's
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2010
89 Posts
Heys Guys, been holding off on the VMX till they worked the bugs out...last I checked the plastic gears ended biting them(Venom) in the butt and they started selling metal gears. So do the new bikes come with metal gears yet or do you still have to buy a bunch of hop-ups to keep it running? I just don't feel like buying one simply to pull it out of the box and tear it apart to fix problems, as well as being forced to buy a bunch of hop-ups before I even have a chance to enjoy it? Also what seems to be the consensus of necessary fixes to the VMX to make it as reliable as possible...maybe somebody could make a list...
Disposable Hero is offline Find More Posts by Disposable Hero
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
the VMX comes with the steel gears in production but we cant be 100% certain your dealer will have a more recent one off the line. In any case the gears are not a hop up, they are standard equipment. If your bike happens to not have them then we will send you a set of gears.
There are no hop up items needed. We have customers with the stock bikes still running on plastic gears. The bike is very tough and can handle smooth or rough terrain with some suspension adjusting which is common for any RC vehicle.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Lloydminster AB
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
There are no hop up items needed. We have customers with the stock bikes still running on plastic gears. The bike is very tough and can handle smooth or rough terrain with some suspension adjusting which is common for any RC vehicle.
I'm still running my bike that was part of the first order to hop across the pond, I've had it since Christmas, and I am still running the original plastic gears. What I have found is to pay attention to the tips on this forum and get the rear wheel assembly tuned well. Then you drive the thing like a bike with smooth power and braking, not just bashing around like a monster truck. I'm sure there have been guys that are full throttle/full brakes and are still holding up, but I have been driving my bike with the goal of good control and track worthy driving, so smooth easy throttle control is the key for longevity.
Speaking of track worthy, is there a hope of seeing the block-pass tires, or is that off the list of things to do for a while?
cwazyduck is offline Find More Posts by cwazyduck