SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
104 Posts
Discussion
The Continuing Saga of the Houston Hawk - It's still competitive

Jack Womack's Hawk design has been around a long time but don't count this bird out yet. I finally finished my short kit earlier this year after thinking about it for a couple of years. I used an old beat-up Condor fuse I had lying around - made some minor repairs, lengthened the vertical stab a bit to satisfy my esthetic preference, primed and repainted it. I discovered the Condor horizontal stab measured about the same area has the Hawk hort stab, so I decided to use it to save a little building time. The modified vertical stab & rudder area is the same as the original design.

Bottom line: This is the best flying RES sailplane I've built since the early '80's. I own a couple of AVA's, but I especially enjoy the Hawk for the typically windier conditions here in Kansas. I decided to fly it in the RES competition at the Soaring League of North Texas's TNT contest last weekend in Dallas and took second place in some challenging conditions. It beat a mess of AVA's. Clearly the Hawk is not aerodynamically superior, but it has a stout winchable wing, solid flying characteristics, and plenty of competitive potential.

For some of us old-school guys who like to experiment and make some balsa dust, it is especially satisfying to have a "home-made" creation beat an expensive manufactured model every once in a while. Thanks Jack for your designs.

Woodies are fun.
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,817 Posts
And... it's MUCH prettier in person... Congrats! Thanks for the kind words...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Really an attractive model. I watched it fly many times on Friday. A well built glider always looks like a fine piece of modeling Art. LJ
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:08 PM
Utah
Joined Aug 2005
153 Posts
Houston Hawk

I am curious, From your photos, the rudder appears to be shorter (fore and aft) than the rudder on Jacks plans, what is the width?

What is the area of your Horizontal Stab. I had a Condor but no longer have the stabs. Your Condor stabs appear to be about the same size as Jacks new stab, not the one shown on the original plan.

I am flying a HH with an Ed Whyte Super stab but am considering some modifications. Probably using the new stab with the later short kits.

Probably going to build a third one and go light.

What does yours weigh?

Jack, chime in with comments if so inclined,

I agree that it is a super flying ship.
Oldokie is offline Find More Posts by Oldokie
Old Oct 28, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,817 Posts
The original stabs are larger, and more effective. I like the later stabs much better and they are lighter. They are adequate for control but I fly smoother with them. Len's vertical is taller, and can be of narrower chord and have the same area. I am ordering cf tonight for a new Hawk so I can re-retire the original...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:15 PM
"Get 'er Up"
Wichita, KS
Joined Nov 2008
104 Posts
In regards to Oldokie's questions about the rudder:

I lengthened the vertical stab or fin of the Condor fuse to 11.5" only because I thought it looked too stubby with the larger RES rudder. I was careful not to change the total tail area which might alter it's flight performance. I cut the fin about 2.5" from the top and rejoined the tip with a carbon tube leading edge and a hard balsa tail post and cut off the trailing excess marked by the pencil line. Preimpreganted epoxy glass cloth was then applied to the inside surface as shown in the attached photo. 1/32" balsa was CA'd to the outside surface of the prepreg glass cloth and sanded to the desired contour.

The rudder made to fit the modified fin is 11.5" tall, 3.75" wide at the top, 5.25" wide at the bottom. I can't remember what the hortizontal stab area is other than is the same as the revised stab as drawn on the Laser Arts plans.

Overall flying weight is 61 oz. - a bit heavy but not too bad for an old fuselage with multiple glass cloth repairs and a modified fin.

Currently the CG is at 100mm from the leading edge at the wing root. I move it aft about 1/4" in light conditions (which isn't often around here).
lktroiani is offline Find More Posts by lktroiani
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,839 Posts
That's a great idea you have for making the fin taller, thank's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
Utah
Joined Aug 2005
153 Posts
Houston Hawk

Thanks, I did find my Condor Stabs, they are about 6 grams heavier(uncovered), and about 1" narrower than the stabs I am using.

I did a dive test this past weekend with the CG at 4.5. I put it in a vertical dive and it stayed there until I pulled out. I added about 1/8 oz to nose and will work from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lktroiani View Post
In regards to Oldokie's questions about the rudder:

I lengthened the vertical stab or fin of the Condor fuse to 11.5" only because I thought it looked too stubby with the larger RES rudder. I was careful not to change the total tail area which might alter it's flight performance. I cut the fin about 2.5" from the top and rejoined the tip with a carbon tube leading edge and a hard balsa tail post and cut off the trailing excess marked by the pencil line. Preimpreganted epoxy glass cloth was then applied to the inside surface as shown in the attached photo. 1/32" balsa was CA'd to the outside surface of the prepreg glass cloth and sanded to the desired contour.

The rudder made to fit the modified fin is 11.5" tall, 3.75" wide at the top, 5.25" wide at the bottom. I can't remember what the hortizontal stab area is other than is the same as the revised stab as drawn on the Laser Arts plans.

Overall flying weight is 61 oz. - a bit heavy but not too bad for an old fuselage with multiple glass cloth repairs and a modified fin.

Currently the CG is at 100mm from the leading edge at the wing root. I move it aft about 1/4" in light conditions (which isn't often around here).
Oldokie is offline Find More Posts by Oldokie
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:59 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,796 Posts
Beautiful model.

Must resist urge to get Hawk plans out......too many projects.....must resist......

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2005
216 Posts
Nice work Lendi.
Congratulations on placing at the TNT!
Great to see innovators still out there getting it done.

Tim
terminal eagle is offline Find More Posts by terminal eagle
Last edited by terminal eagle; Oct 29, 2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
Personally I feel that the HH is one of the most beautiful sailplanes ever designed. It is something that I would love to add to my hanger some day. Sorry Jack if this has been asked before, but are the kits still available? Is it from plans or do you supply a limited short kit?
If so, what is the cost?

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,817 Posts
PP... There's a short kit and plans available from Mountain Models/Laser Arts...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:54 PM
Thermals are cool.........
meridian, idaho
Joined Sep 2005
358 Posts
my hawk flies like a dream.....
bluefork is offline Find More Posts by bluefork
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,126 Posts
Although the Ava is very nice (until it breaks), beating an Ava isn't all that hard to do. I've done it with a Gnome 2M.

I have no doubt, though, that it would be somewhat easier with your glider than with a Gnome 2M!
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2010, 01:21 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
PP... There's a short kit and plans available from Mountain Models/Laser Arts...
Jack,

What glass fuse can be used? I prefer not to do built-up fuses if I can help it.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev