Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Model Boat Aficionado
Tucson, AZ
Joined Nov 2009
125 Posts
Discussion
New products from Dumas

Hello all!

I have heard some rumors around here talking about the possibility of new products from Dumas, and I am here to set them straight...

There are indeed some new products from Dumas! They were just unveiled at the IHobby Show in Chicago over the past weekend (October 21-24). Here is a sneak peek of the new boats being added to our line-up...

AprilRose

Let me know what you think. If you like em, tell me. Even if you don't like em, tell me. ALL feedback is greatly appreciated because it helps us become a better company.
AprilRose is offline Find More Posts by AprilRose
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:46 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
Repeat from other post......

ahhhhhhhhhhh.............ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... ........those are sweet........the ark could be used as a tug......lots of room for #25 too.

Thanks for posting AprilRose
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,623 Posts
All wood. What a unique idea. It'll never catch on.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:07 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I like the subchaser being in 1:35, we can use available crew from the Italeri LCM and PT...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
April Rose, I must say that your designers have chosen well, both in the subjects, and the material used.

All wood, no cheesy suckmolded hulls and no sintra, somebody in your company is listening---.

Don't know about the ark though, I'd be prone to question the documentation---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:35 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
April, I am curious why you no longer sell fiberglass hull versions of your products. Was it an environmental thing, or some other reason? Have you thought about pairing up with one of the established hull vendors to compliment your kits? Even if you don't want to distribute the hulls yourself, having one out there that fits your kits exactly would increase your potential market, as there are some guys that don't like building wood hulls.

Kurt

PS, Please tell Tom I said "Hi"!
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Last edited by seaphoto; Oct 28, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Kurt-
Can't speak for April or Dumas, but my guess is that their focus is on "mass" distribution (hey everything is relative) to hobby shops... not on onesey-twosey jobs for hardcore hobbyists. But that's fine, it leaves the door open for cottage industrialists who might want to offer hulls and upgrade fittings sets... just like all the P-E aftermarket stuff that's available for plastic kits.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:45 PM
Fort Wayne IN
Joined Aug 2007
242 Posts
With Midwest out of the game, it is great to see some vendors (M.A.C.K. for example) and Dumas still enthusiastic about model boating. Thanks for your posting.
linerfanatic is offline Find More Posts by linerfanatic
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:42 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilRose View Post
Let me know what you think. If you like em, tell me. Even if you don't like em, tell me. ALL feedback is greatly appreciated because it helps us become a better company.
Like the others who have commented I say "Yippee!" that these are wood kits instead of vac-form!

With the exception of the "Ark", I find them all interesting- the USCG MLB in particular is already in the "will buy" list. Subchaser and Tug are very likely to wind up on the list too!

Great offerings! Keep 'em "Made in the U.S.A." too!

Keep up the great work, Dumas!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
75 Posts
Aprilrose,
I really like the Subchaser. Having built several of Dumas kits over the years I would look forward to building another if any of these are released.
boatsv is offline Find More Posts by boatsv
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
I have long thought that a subchaser kit in a somewhat larger scale would be welcome in the market. Nice scale/size choice.

Talked to April Rose yesterday. She was - as always - patient, informed and helpful. It's really nice these days to talk to a real live human being on the phone who is polite and competent. And speaks English.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Last edited by jeepers1940; Oct 29, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Thanks April for posting this. As a tug guy the Washburn is very welcome. A former member of our club had a WWI subchaser that I just loved. He would run with my USS Crockett and they looked good together. That I'm sure will be another popular boat. The scale is perfect as there is so much else available to complement it. CG boats are always popular subjects.

Guys you have to lighten up on the Ark though. I can recall a magazine cover once that featured a RC tool box skimming across the water. As far as documentation April hasn't posted in awhile. Maybe she took a trip to Mount Ararat. I would hope Dumas included a conversion from cubits to inches.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:11 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
454 Posts
April,
Great choices. One question. The Ark is listed as two channel R/C...what would they be?
jeno is online now Find More Posts by jeno
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:44 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Noah waving and giraffe up/down. Ark was free-floating...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
I like the Washburn tug. And the Ark is whimsical and cool. I give it two thumbs up also.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot