SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Help!
Charger - Just starting out flexibility

Well as stated I am just starting out and wanted to know what your opinions were. I am currently flying the ultra micro planes with 1S batteries. However I would like the charger to be able to handle much larger batteries for the future. I am currently using a mix of Hyperions and E Flite batteries. The hyperions I know can be charged at 5C rates. Although faster charging could be overcome with charging multiple batteries at once.

Basically I would like to be able to cut down my charge time for my 1S batteries by either charging them faster or charging multiple batteries at once. The flexibiliy of having a bigger charger for the future would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

I was looking that FMA Direct Multi 4S and the Turnigy Accucell 6 chargers, not sure if either fit my need but looked like decent chargers.

Advice needed and thank you!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,701 Posts
Based on what you've said, I would say just about any charger would do for the moment.

Example: Lets say you want to charge 4 Hyperion 1S 160ma batteries in parallel at 5C. That's:

4 * 1 * 4.2 * .16 * 5 = ~14 watts.
(4 batteries * 1S times 4.2V per cell *.16a *5C)

Most of the smallest chargers on the market are 50 watts so you're fine with just about any choice.

On the other hand you want to go "much larger" in the future. So let's assume much larger is a T-rex 700E. So now the calculation to charge 4 of those at 5C is:

4 * 12 * 4.2 * 5 * 5 = ~5000 watts. To get that you need about 4 high-end chargers.

Well, OK, the 700E is very large compared to anything you have today, so, really you need to decide for yourself what constitutes "much larger" and do the math and decide how much "future proofing" you are willing to pay for. Figure out the watts and go from there.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
But not all chargers can charge at 5C correct?

Do either of the above charge at 5C? Or at least be fooled into charging at a higher C rating, by increasing mah's?

I apologize as I am confused! Several say only 1C for LIPOs, the triton EQ for one.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,701 Posts
Being able to charge at 5C is basically just a matter of watts. In most chargers, the charge rate is set by the user in amps. To charge at 1C you simply use the amp rating printed on the battery label. To charge at nC, multiply that number by n. The charger can't read the label so it's all up to you.

There are a few chargers that give you the option of setting a C rate and then letting the charger determine that based on how the battery reacts but with most, you just set amps yourself - so any of those can charge at any C rate as long as you don't run out of watts.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Thanks that makes some sense! I think I will get the Accucell and a parallel adaptor to charge my UM batteries.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Okay I am really thinking of getting the Cellpro 4S as it is reasonable and it really has some good reviews. It should be good for me to grow into as well. How do I go about connect the Ultra Mico batteries connector to the Cellpro? I know they have different adaptors available but they are for 2S and above. I am perplexed! I have a TME parallel chargers coming and they use the small red JST connector, how do I get this connected to the 4s?

I can solder so getting components and soldering them is feasible for me.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:11 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I found some connectors on Quantum Hobbies website and they will work great!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 04:25 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Okay I am really thinking of getting the Cellpro 4S as it is reasonable and it really has some good reviews. It should be good for me to grow into as well. How do I go about connect the Ultra Mico batteries connector to the Cellpro? I know they have different adaptors available but they are for 2S and above. I am perplexed! I have a TME parallel chargers coming and they use the small red JST connector, how do I get this connected to the 4s?

I can solder so getting components and soldering them is feasible for me.
This is my set up.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:51 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
This is my set up.

Glen
I got the FTA connector and will be connecting three little red JST connector to it, that way I can connect up to three of the TME parallel boards. More than likely one board with hyperions connected and then my two 500mah Eflits connected to the other two.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
For the 1S batteries I got the Celectra 4 port charger with AC adapter. This charger with AC adapter comes with the mSR Heli for less than $100 which I figured was a very good deal. The charger and AC adapter is roughly $50 by itself. I also picked up a Tenergy 2 port AC charger for $15. I can fly almost continuously with 6 batteries When I get one or 2 more batteries I can fly non stop.

The Celectra charger and AC adapter also comes with the 4-site, but some people don't care for it and prefer the newer UM planes. The charger is often available on Ebay for a discount from people who have more than one or two.

The 1S charge boards are ok, but can't add a battery while charging. I know guys that charge 1 and then 3 and then combos after that, but they have also messed up their charge rates and fried the batteries. Plus charging at 5C leaves them pretty warm so you should wait for the cool down. Add to that different discharge rates and IMO it becomes a pain. I also heard some issues with mixing Hyperions and TP's. Even though they both say 5C charge there seem to be some differences in either resistance or charge curve or ??.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat