SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:00 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor View Post
Alien Tech: If you could bring that down to $20..?
Sorry but no can do. I have $15 between the 3mm Depron, 1/64 ply, music wire, carbon and printing manuals. Shipping will likely be $5-6 Priority Mail with DC( free boxes) I just can't work for free. It's likely they will end up $25 + shipping.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:39 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
884 Posts
mans gotta make a little bread for his efforts and time to cut, box etc.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 02, 2010, 09:28 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Chispas,
Yeah, that looks to be the same plane as the plans, I'm now working on a more efficient (I hope) design right now, since I didn't have all the wood for the ribs (I'll just put it in storage until I can get more wood). All foam construction with a box fuse and fairly long wings, this one actually: https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models...Sailplane.html (only 150% regular size, about 24" span)

Alien Tech,
How is your KF airfoil working on the Blanik? I'm thinking about the same thing on my glider and am wondering how it would preform against either an under-cambered or flat bottom airfoil. Also, do you think it would stand up to a bungee launch, or would it need some carbon?

-Fred
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Nov 03, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:03 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
I spent some time tonight flying the Blanik and tuning control throws and CG. I also made some improvements to the kit to make it easier to build and hopefully come out a little lighter.

I put up details in a while after dinner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:35 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
I spent some time tonight flying the Blanik and tuning control throws and CG. I also made some improvements to the kit to make it easier to build and hopefully come out a little lighter.

I put up details in a while after dinner.
Subscribed
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:08 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
Fred,

This is my first experience with a KF style airfoil. It worked out well for me as I needed a bit thicker wing to keep it from flexing. I also reasoned that with would have less drag than a cambered section, but I have no proof of that. All I can say it that it flies well and seems happy.

KIT UPDATE:

I have made some improvemets that I think were needed. First mine came out a bit tail heavy and I ended up adding a nickle to get it to CG. That seems about perfect for outdoors. I also flew it with a penny and that would probably work well for indoors. I also used the 4 channel brick with the extra aileron servo and the PZ Tx, so I'm sure that didn't help.

I cut out some lightening holes in the center fuselage aft of the CG, hopefully that will reduce the need for nose weight and will also reduce the AUW.

Next I included some fixtures for getting the dihedral in the wing and tail correct as well as to help keep them aligned with the fuse. After its built, you can sharpen the wing jig edges and widen the slot to clear the pushrods and it will double as a CG stand.

I'm also including laser cut masks for the registration number and the Swiss insignia if you decide to do the color scheme I chose. If you google a bit you will see there are tons of good schemes out there however.

Finally I have made a new thread about this plane so as not to hijack this one any further. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post16452450

I would really be interested in seeing whatever anyone else is building.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:11 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Alien Tech,
Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to try a flat-bottomed solid balsa wing sanded to shape from 1/4" sheet and see how that goes. I'll have to try the KF foils on a chucky some time soon.
Also, keep us updated to your Blanik's flying feats, no worries about hijacking the thread.

-Fred
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Nov 03, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:47 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
My little project...

Thought I'd upload some pics of my sailplane under construction. The body and tail feathers are 3mm depron (from meat trays ), the body is held together by the covering film while the glue dries and then will be covered entirely. I still need to install the brick, push-rods, make the wings, and finish the covering; I might get the fuselage and tail feathers done today before my girlfriend comes over.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:02 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
Fred,

That looks cool, I love the full fuse! 1/4" sounds pretty thick for the wing to me. Haow about 1/8" or even 3/32"? What is your wingspan again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2010, 07:47 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The span is right around 25". The 1/4" balsa sounds thick but when you look at it next to the glider's fuse, it doesn't look too thick at all.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:57 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I have one wing, shaped, sanded, and sealed with dope (probably took an hour and a quarter or so). I'm taking a few minutes to get out of the balsa dust and dope fumes before starting the other wing. Always remember to wear a particle mask when sanding balsa, especially when using very fine grits.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 10:43 AM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
Pics man!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:48 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Both wings are shaped, sanded and the dope is drying as I type. on the bare wood one. I have to cover it, then do some trim work and the wings are done. then it's install the brick, hook up the controls, glue the wings on, make a canopy, and test fly.

Some time I want to make one out of 1/64" ply for the fuselage, I don't like how it came out.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
After reading this thread I have decided to try my hand at building a 1/16th depron Schweizer 2-33a.

I think it will look very nice in the Air Cadet league livery. http://www.aircadetleague.com/

Our gym has an elevated seating area which has about a 9 foot wall at its base. Perhaps a box fan aimed at it will simulate a slope.
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:26 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,704 Posts
Great! Please post pics of your progress.
RCG Plus Member