HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
Joe 'Volg' Greene
Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Question
Designing RC Control Sets for LEGO Bots

I take a largish Lego collection to various conventions where I allow others to build 'bots' onsite. They then run them through an obstacle course and arena combat competitions. Here's the problem. I currently have 2 functioning LEGO RC units (and 1 dead) and 3 functioning LEGO IR remote controlled units. This puts competitors on very unequal footing. So, I'm trying to build 6 control sets of equal capability. Step one: design the control set and obtain the parts. After much research I have determined I need the following

Transmitter/receiver pair(3+ channel) (cheap replaceable.. strangers and their children will be manhandling them) - Looking at the Hobby King 6 Channel for ~$30

3 x 10AMP Brushed ESC w/ reverse, no brake (LEGO motors of the most powerful variety have a stall draw of 3.5amp and may be used in parallel on a single channel and all
LEGO motors are brushed) - Seeking a source desperately for these. The cheaper the better since I'll need 3 per control set.

Appropriate batteries for such either 3S 35C LIPO or 9.6v NiMH (motors are rated as 9v but have proven reliable at 12v)
Charger(s) to maintain the battery packs.

I've ordered the Transmitter/receiver pair for the initial prototype control set
Looking for ESC solutions, which it appears will mitigate the battery options.
Any suggestions?

Motor specs/comparisons of LEGO motors are http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm
volg is offline Find More Posts by volg
Last edited by volg; Oct 28, 2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: retagging
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
Joe 'Volg' Greene
Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
2 Posts
Almost forgot.. Need Reverse capability from the ESCs. So Heil/Plane ESCs with brakes are problematic.
volg is offline Find More Posts by volg