Closed Thread
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:13 AM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Discussion
XAIRCRAFT's OFFICIAL TESTERS THREAD for the X650

This thread has been started for X650 testers to report about their experience with this unit.
If you feel you have things to say that could help, or positive criticism to make, please feel free to join

On the other hand, XAircraft has started an "owner" thread with lots of practical informations on the system, anybody new to the X650 should take a look there and will find it very helpful.

2010-10-28 : My test X650 has arrived today, I will start mounting it and testing it before this week-end.
So far, I can say that the unit is very well packed and the overall quality is very good.
The unit comes with two manuals, a general one for the X650, and a separate A4 page for the camera mount.
Each manual is both in english and Chinese, many illustrations are there to help building the unit, build seems very simple and straightforward.

I have mounted the X650 this afternoon, it was quite easy in fact, I had some problems with some badly threaded screws, very poor quality nylon screws that easily brake, and one wrongly drilled arm that caused some major misalignment (one motor tilted 15°).
After replacing the faulty screws (and rethreading one arm mount to M3 instead of M2.5) and re-drilling the faulty arm to correct alignment, I managed to get it all together in less than two hours, so that's not bad for a first build from scratch.

I have made some very lame build videos that are uploading at this moment, I may rebuild the machine and reshoot later unless someone comes with another (better) build video...
In the mean time, here is the beginning, enjoy the babies screaming in the background

X650BUILD 1 (15 min 30 sec)

X650BUILD 2 (2 min 30 sec)

X650BUILD 3 (9 min 56 sec)

X650BUILD 4 (10 min 39 sec)

X650BUILD 5 (7 min 26 sec)

X650BUILD 6 (8 min 32 sec)

X650BUILD 7 (12 min 18 sec)

X650BUILD 8 (8 min 35 sec)

X650BUILD 9 (14 min 41 sec)

X650BUILD 10 (14 min 32 sec)

X650BUILD 11 (3 min 45 sec)

Sorry again for the very poor general quality and the very long silences, I have the flu and got a bit tired speaking english by the end, plus my young children screaming in the background didn't help too much

2010-10-29 : I haven't had time to fly the X650, I only spinned the motors so far.
I have tried to connect the FC to a PC (two different ones in fact) running Windows XP SP3 and .NET Framework 4.0 as should be, but haven't managed to do anything more than getting various errors and have never been able to either flash not program the flight controller

So it seems I'm pretty much grounded until I manage to get the software to work, may be I should get a chinese system and try

2010-10-30 : PROGRESS!
After desinstalling and reinstalling every bit of program (.NET Framework 4.0, XAircraft configurator) and installing after that the proper driver downloaded from Prolific, I managed to do this on the real PC (I must try now with the Parallels virtual machine on my MacBookPro):
- Flash the AHRS with newest firmware
- connect to the FC, change flight mode and tune the TX... and have a look at the beautiful GUI

On the contrary, flashing the FC was impossible, I tried with FC alone, FC connected to AHRS, FC+AHRS+RX, FC+AHRS+RX+Fan, FC+AHRS+RX+Fan+Main battery (plus a few other configurations) but nothing helped, the upgrader waited for the FC but never found it and finally displayed "connection failed"

I don't know if for some reason my FC is faulty, but I have noticed a strange behavior from the very beginning : the motors spin with throttle input, but only on one position (2000us) of "gear" channel, in the other position, the motors will not start at all.
Then (but may be it's normal), the motors will stop as soon as throttle reaches roughly half stick, or as soon as I move rudder, pitch or roll stick
I will discuss all this with XAircraft tomorrow, I have to say that time zones does make debugging very difficult.

2010-10-30 Update: SUCCESS!
like I did on the PC, I have uninstalled everything from my MacBookPro and reinstalled all softwares (.NET 4.0 and XAircraft configuration) on it, then installed the drivers found on the Prolific link for both Mac OS X and Window XP.
After that I could connect to the FC and EVEN flash it with the new firmaware, something I have never managed to do with the PC
One very important thing though is that FC or AHRS units must be disconnect from anything else in order to be flashed!
So you need to disconnect the FC from the AHRS and the RX and the ESCs, otherwise it won't work.

So the way to instal the software and use it is :

1 - install .NET 4.0
2 - install XAircraft Configuration tool
3 - update the Prolific Driver with the right one from here : http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31
4 - If you run a virtual machine, install both drivers, the one for Mac OSX and the one for WIndows, it won't hurt
5 - keep in mind that for flashing you'll have to disconnect the FC or AHRS you want to flash from anything else.
6 - the link to the prolific dongle must ONLY be connected to the unit to flash when you are being asked (not before), after you click on the "update" button in the update window.
7 - for changing the settings in the FC, it can be connected and powered, it will work with or without power.
8 - to fine tune you radio, FC MSUT be connect AND powered

Now I will check the motors response and may be try to fly the X650

UPDATE : my motors work with the new firmware but can cut when roll reaches min or max, I suspect limits going a few us too far (2004us for example) triggers this. I will look into this now...

UPDATE2 : the motors shut down problem has been troubleshot and sorted with the help of Abin at XAircraft, it was due to a faulty receiver. All is now fine, I will go out and do a quick test run, it's now 11:00 PM and I have no navigation LED on this machine.

faulty RX (look at the period flickering big time):
JLF Capture 003 (10 min 15 sec)

good RX :
JLF Capture 006 (1 min 26 sec)

2010-11-01 : First reasonably good flight

1ST-TEST.MOV (4 min 44 sec)

To be continued...
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Last edited by bob.titus; Nov 08, 2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: updates
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:14 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
What I like :
- the overall quality is very good, it's very easy to build the machine, build from scratch (the boring one I'm showing bellow) took less than 2 hours, so it's not bad at all!
- what's VERY nice about this machine is that you don't need to solder ANYTHING at all (apart from the battery connector if like me you prefer XT60 connectors to Dean.
- all you need is two sizes of hexa screwdrivers (supplied) and nose plyers to help placing screws in difficult to reach areas.
- the nice design
- all parts have been nicely manufactured (even if one arm was misdrilled), all fits perfectly and if better screws were being used the whole build could probably be done in roughly one hour.
- all parts are very precisely labeled and organized in little plastic pouches making it impossible to go wrong when putting the machine together.
- a rather good manual with lots of illustrations, but still perfectible (see the cons)
- the propellers are very neat, nice design, wide area that should provide good stability, threaded copper inserts should provide good centering, may be a bit heavy though with 20g each.
- now I could finally access it : the GUI is VERY neat, very simple and rather complete, I think you've got there all you need to fine tune your machine, you can even tune the camera controls, like pitch, roll and yaw, plus the triggering mode with focusing, zooming etc... if you use an IR or PIC controller... Very clever

What I don't like :
- NO motor ARMING!!! The motors will spin as soon as you move the throttle stick unless you set a motor cut off on your radio. This is a NO NO, XAircraft please reconsider this point asap !
- the manual that would need to be reorganized a bit in order to avoid having to go back and forth all the time to find out how to put the machine together, I found it a bit confusing sometimes to be honest.
- the fact that the location of the radio receiver is not shown in the manual (it really looks like it was forgotten in the design in fact), so you basically put it where you find a place for it to fit...
- the plastic top and the way it is fixed with 4x very tiny screws from under the core frame, not very practical when you need to do some work inside the core frame. It doesn't seem very strong either, and the ventilation holes will let rain get right onto the electronics, so no rain protection.
- the "link" connectors are very tiny and will most likely wear out very quickly.
- no LEDs are supplied in the basic version (nor battery alarm) and if you want to install some then you'll need to use your soldering iron and make some mods to the wiring, yellow stickers only are supplied for orientation.
- too little screws are being used in some strategic places, I would have better seen M3 than M2.5 for securing the arms etc...
- a rather fragile design despite the weight (970g complete with RX but no battery)
- poor quality screws, it's a shame really since the overall quality of the machine is very good
- slots on the FC are way too tight and I had to file down the connectors on the provided servo cables in order to connect them!
- USB linking is VERY tricky, it's taken me quite some time to figure out what was going wrong, but no even completely
Last edited by bob.titus; Oct 31, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:19 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
reserved
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:52 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
reversed
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Got my Xaircraft package today. Initial thoughts are that it looks nicely packaged. Everything seams to be clearly labeled and in it's own bag. We all got the glass version. Each part looks nice with no visible scratches or banged up parts. As for what I don't like, I haven't built it yet so I can't comment too much on that. At first glance there are quite a few parts and screws but the directions seam to be clear and so far everyone seams to be building this thing up very quickly. I'm glad this kit saves me from having to fashion my own frame and power distribution wires.

It didn't come with the Futaba 10c. That's just in the picture for scale

---Build videos----------------------------------

1) Page 14- Motor Arms...(So far, so good. This step went very smooth for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNZPws9gtI

2) Page 15- Quad body...(No problems here. Just a little repetition)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7OPYufatA

3b) Page 16- bottom of page- Fan instalation (Straight forward construction. Be careful of the nylon screws. Use your fingers if possible to tighten them to prevent breaking them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM3RTpDOcC8

---Flight Videos----------------------------------
1)First hover. Feels very stable near neutral stick position when hovering. Roll and Pitch command is a little sensitive for me so I'll adjust that in the configurator.
FirstHover.AVI (1 min 28 sec)

----------
Great stable video by Z06Tony (Looks like it has GPS but it doesn't yet)
Xaircraft X650 quad STEADY enough for AP photography/Video etc.. VID #2 w/2min hands off hovering (3 min 47 sec)
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 04, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:25 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
did everybody receive their units yet?

Bob
Last edited by bob.titus; Oct 29, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:27 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
blank
Last edited by Joshbb; Oct 30, 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:17 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,195 Posts
Great!
Another "official" thread from an individual who even doesn't have the parts. I'm expecting something totally different here besides the official official thread posted by Xaircraft officially.

btw: you have a typo in your title.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:22 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Great!
Another "official" thread from an individual who even doesn't have the parts. I'm expecting something totally different here besides the official official thread posted by Xaircraft officially.

btw: you have a typo in your title.
what do you mean "from an individual who even doesn't have the parts" does it look like I don't have the X650???
As for the typo, tu n'as qu'a la corriger, l'anglais n'est pas ma langue maternelle tu vois, donc une erreur de typo de temps en temps ça n'est pas si mal

Bob
Last edited by bob.titus; Oct 28, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:32 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,195 Posts
I mean something like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302688

Pas mal pour quelqu'un qui ne parle pas l'anglais comme langue maternelle. Vous semblez très anglais, monsieur.

Oh ... your X650 came today. I'll take back the "individual who even doesn't have the parts"!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:42 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
wasn't aware of it, sorry
Anyway, my thread was opened in accordance with what had been planned and with XAircraft being acknowledged...

Quote:
Pas mal pour quelqu'un qui ne parle pas l'anglais comme langue maternelle. Vous semblez très anglais, monsieur.
thanks, I'm trying my best
But it sometimes gets me in crooked situations, because our cultural gap exists and some may forget intentions/meanings may get lost in translations...

Quote:
Oh ... your X650 came today. I'll take back the "individual who even doesn't have the parts"!
no problem, I wouldn't have started a thread if I hadn't received anything yet.

I will post more today, stay tuned

Bob
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
Still no update on mine.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Last edited by Canadian Geek; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
Still no update on mine.

- Jeff
Hey Jeff, have you finally received your unit?

Bob
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.titus View Post
Hey Jeff, have you finally received your unit?

Bob
No. I think something has gone wrong with the shipping of mine. It still shows "item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada". This hasn't changed since the 23rd.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:22 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
No. I think something has gone wrong with the shipping of mine. It still shows "item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada". This hasn't changed since the 23rd.

- Jeff
can you put the tracking number into your local postal service?
Closed Thread