Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by verticalspark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:19 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Discussion
Mini-Airshow downtown

Yesterday at the downtown airport they had a mini-airshow. There was a P-51C "Betty Jane", a B-17 "Nine-o-Nine and a B-24 "Witchcraft". You could stand behind the gate and take pictures for free or you could pay $12 to get up close and personal with the planes...so I eagerly had Travis pay $12 for me to get in Thanks Travis! After looking around and taking some pictures I decided to take the grand tour of the B-24. Walk in to the tail of the plane, past the side turrets and into the bomb bay. I was unable to walk into the B-17 as the line was ridiculously long. But I have been inside of one before and I have to ask. If the airplane is that figgin big why are they so small inside?

Anyway after that quick tour of the B-24 we got to watch somebody take a ride in the mustang. The prices for that ride were $2300 for a 1/2 hour ride or $3300 for a full hour We stood by as it fired up, taxied out and took off. One quick flight around the pattern and he did a low flyby. I forgot how intoxicating the sound from a V-12 Rolls-Royce Merlin engine is, gets deep down and stirs the soul. One can only imagine what it would be like to see a dozen of these birds in formation going for a low pass. After she did a low pass it was off into the blue sky only to be seen again a half an hour later.

All in all it was nice to see the big beautiful birds that are still flying around. Makes me wish I was back in Florida where they still have air shows.

P-51C "Betty Jane" Start up and taxi (2 min 21 sec)

P-51C "Betty Jane" Flyby (0 min 28 sec)
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by verticalspark; Oct 28, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts