HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
houstonia,mo
Joined Mar 2010
43 Posts
Discussion
tower hobbies fun 51 kit

i build the fun 51 kit by tower hobbies recently upgraded my muffler to the macs pre-tunned. I also changed to a 9x9 prop hopping to get some speed off the modifications i do its a light plane will fly fast but come down for a very slow landing. Plane handles wonderfully compared to a trainer just got into gas rc within the past 6 months i love it. Speed with having to worry about charing batteries. Don't get me wrong though love electric rc to
was wondering how fast i can get this p51 to go im trying to get it to go 80mph plus+ its already pretty fast with a thunder tiger 46 pro. Its been windy this past week haven't been able to test the new setup. Any guesses on how fast i can achieve?
stinger0518 is offline Find More Posts by stinger0518
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2010, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
9 Posts
Hi , I have built the same plane , just ready to cover it. I will be setting mine up as a 3D plane ,12.25x3.75 prop tt46 pro motor and huge travel on control surfaces. Hope it fly's as good as my twist40.
NEWHELIPILOTME is offline Find More Posts by NEWHELIPILOTME
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
326 Posts
Well,........ take a look at that fat wing. It just is not a speed type airfoil. As a matter of fact when my Tower Extra Special (same as the P-51, just a different fuselage) the drag was so great it tended to fall out of the air unless I purposely dove for the ground and then leveled off to land.

But, you can still go somewhat fast with your setup, but you may encounter aileron or elevator flutter. Keep the trailing edges squared off, hinge lines sealed, and if it were me I would upgrade push rods to 4-40 weight. You probably can't really go 4-40 for the rudder and elevator pushrods so all you can do is anchor the stock rods down as close to the horn as possible without binding.

NEWHELIPILOTME's setup is more what the design is for...slower stunt type of flying.
Garyss is online now Find More Posts by Garyss