HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:52 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The Unicorn - a Next Generation EPP flying wing Next Gen thread

The Generation continues on this insiteful thread... The Unicorn - a Next Generation EPP flying wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...24#post1118724
is the link to the last generation of this thread!!!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Last edited by Don Sims; Jul 11, 2003 at 04:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:24 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
Well I am just about done with my Unicorn. Finished installing the control rods today and now I just have to install the winglets.
Just wondering what method of securing the winglets are most people using?
The double sided carpet tape just doesn't seem it would be the most secure method to me. I like the idea of using narrow strips of filament tape through slots cut into the winglets. It is more work but it looks much stronger. Any comments and tips?
Still have to balance and weigh the wing but so far it looks pretty good.

I found the worst part of the build was sanding, then covering the winglets and elevons. I am really not a big fan of the balsa wood. Seems to be so flimsy and soft. I think I will try and find some coraplast to make new ones after getting use to flying the wing.
Beezer is offline Find More Posts by Beezer
Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:59 PM
Buckeyes Country
Joined Jun 2003
169 Posts
Beezer-

I agree the winglets present a challenge. I had no luck with the double sided tape either. Second attempt was to epoxy velcro. That was a bit better. Finally I gave up on the balsa and cut them out of coroplast, and epoxied about a 1" X 4" coroplast surface on the end of the wing, then glued velcro to that so that there is a full width (3/4" or so) velcro strip, and that seems to be the best I've found so far.

High energy landings shear off the winglets by separating the velcro but don't destroy the winglets. The strapping tape method caused too much collateral damage. Grass tends to screw up the velcro after awhile though.

I would welcome a better solution to this too.

Keep us posted and get that thing in the air pronto !
whichwazup? is offline Find More Posts by whichwazup?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:00 PM
Buckeyes Country
Joined Jun 2003
169 Posts
Oh and I almost forgot, beautiful job, Beezer.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:14 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I actually like the balsa better... This is what I did...

1. cut out the balsa winglets and lay them on the table.
2. Cover the top side of the winglets with 2" fiber tape.
3. Turn over the winglets.
4. Cover the bottom side of the winglets with the same fiber tape. This time make sure the fibers are perpendicular to the other side.
5. Cover them with tape or shrink covering
6. use the template they gave you to determine where the wing is in relation to the winglet. Cut out a small (1/4" or so) slot in the winglet above and below the wing surface. Just enough to allow a small piece of 3/4" fiber tape to slide through.
7. cut a piece of 3/4" fiber tape long enough to have at least 1" of tape on the top, go thoguh the slot, and 1" on the bottom.
8. Attach to the wing using the fiber tape

This way you get a VERY thin winglet (cloroplast is durable, but draggy) that is still very durable.. Mine havent broken yet. The crossed fiber tape will provide all the strength the balsa needs to keep from breaking and doesnt add much weight...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jul 11, 2003, 09:40 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
Thanks "whichwazup?". The picture does not show all the imperfections but it is not bad for my first experience in building something like this. Being a machinist and a somewhat perfectionist makes me my worst critic sometimes. This project took me quite a long time to do since I looked closely at every tiny imperfection and tried to correct it which alot of times made things worse. I did learn a few things along the way that I will do different if I ever build another one. I used a Hitec Electron 6 reciever which is very small, so I thought it would be perfect for this application but where the servo leads plug into it at the top caused problems with the plugs sticking up too high, so I had to remove some material at the bottom of the reciever cutout for the plugs and install the reciever upside down. It looks fine now but I blew an hour just figuring out what to do for that. I hope it flies a well as I expect for all the work I spent on it. HEHE
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:30 AM
Buckeyes Country
Joined Jun 2003
169 Posts
Beezer-

Just surfed into a possible solution to this winglet attachment challenge. And downeym, your solution is fine once I quit crashing with such regularity.

Here is a URL for some tiny rare earth magnets that would hold the winglets pretty securely but let them shear off when necessary, and allow easy removal when you transport the Uni to the field. I keep hitting them on things carrying the Uni to my truck.

http://www.eflightdesigns.com/cgi-bi...cts.cgi?CAT=20

Anybody use the magnet method with any degree of success ?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:41 AM
www.unicornwings.net
Shoreline WA USA
Joined Feb 2003
450 Posts
We discovered that the 1" wide double backed carpet tape (not the foamy stuff) offers more than enough strength to keep the winglets on. When fresh, it takes an effort to remove the winglets. When you crash the winglets pop off before they get physically damaged. Depending on the number of crashes, you will need to replace the carpet tape eventually.

The magnet technique looks interesting...

- Mark
www.unicornwings.net
ActionCommander is offline Find More Posts by ActionCommander
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:57 AM
Buckeyes Country
Joined Jun 2003
169 Posts
Here is another source. I've sent this guy an e-mail about the potential. Look at his "other items", these magnets come in a bunch of sizes and are really cheap.

My kids have a couple of these magnets that are 3/4" X 3/8" disks and you can't pull them apart without a real struggle.

These little guys shown here can't weigh too much either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11777
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:58 AM
Team Polecat
Morehead City, NC
Joined Jan 2003
670 Posts
I have used the carpet tape with great success despite some horrendous crashes. I have since recovered the bird and used a new piece of carpet tape over the old since I could not remove it without major damage to the wing. I found that after a dozen or so major dings that the dirt and grass adheres rather well but I have never had a winglet come off except in a crash.

leon
drone is offline Find More Posts by drone
Old Jul 12, 2003, 09:34 AM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Ive been messing with rare earth neodymium magnets for a while lately... sell them even (only one size right now for a Kyosho Mini-Z motor). those 4mm dia magnets are NOT enough to hold a unicorn winglet on in flight you could blow them off with your breath

Because I have these magnets and my winglets were falling off a lot (till i taped them on with strapping tape over the leading corner)... I have been pondering using magnets my self...

Since I have a magnet source, I could say order a quantity (cant buy just one hehe) of them any shape and size, could get some that will fit inside the wing, the shape of the wing even... and source them for you mark.. should this idea work... maybe just trade for another kit if/when i get one...

The most cost effecitve would be the largest possible circle that would fit in the end of the wing with out realy protruding... and the matching size on the outside.. I could probly get a .75"diameter x .25"thick magnet maybe 3 sets of these per winglet would do the job...

Some were on this forum I tried to sell S400 sized magnets for S400 motors... but no one seemed to realy care for the idea... likely too hard to install them... it would increase torque about double... but reduce a few RPM... thus larger prop, but slower revs... basicly it would be like a 2:1 gear box with less rpm reduction...
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Last edited by Draconious; Jul 13, 2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:04 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Hmmm this is strange as A freind of mine uses Rare earth Magnets to hold WINGS on his Swithcback and switchback Bipe.
Maybe diffrent Magnets?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jul 12, 2003, 04:07 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Wings? I use one for the canopy on my miniflash. It works ok for that, but you would need a LOT of magnets to hold on those winglets while flying.. Especially with my Mega motor!
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jul 12, 2003, 04:50 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
All done! Installed the winglets today and now it's ready to be balanced, then first check out flight. I ended up using a combination of the double sided tape and strips of filament tape through slots I cut in the winglets. The double sided tape i had wasn't very sticky so it was mainly used just to help hold the winglet in position while I put the filament tape on.
Here is what it looks like now.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 04:51 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2003
29 Posts
And one showing a side view of the winglets.
Closed Thread