HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:11 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
Nemisis Help! Modification?

so I bought a nemisis from aerolock.. all is going well.. too well. This is my first kit ( well going to be first successful kit) and I was wondering if anyone has tried sticking a b20 in it. I figure I can just be a little more sensitive on throttle. I have a b20 12l ( a bit much) and some hecells. The wingloading will go up but I think the structure can take it. Thanks, Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:42 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
The wing loading won't just go up - it'll skyrocket. The structure is designed to be super light weight and is barely strong enough to add another 2 oz onto the stock setup. What you're talking about would add on about 5-6 oz of weight and I'd be surprised if the plane would fly a simple loop without falling apart. In short - don't do it.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:37 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
hmm.. we'll you're right. I just wish a hobby store around me sold gws stuff, but there is always buying online. I can't wait to finish covering and fly it...
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:47 PM
Airplane Addict
NorthWest Houston
Joined May 2003
293 Posts
I'm thinking of a PJS 300...... Li-polys........
Not much extra weight, and 300 grams thrust!!
Mine has a DXA right now
TRAVO is offline Find More Posts by TRAVO
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:48 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Hey Rhett- Yeah, I'm afraid Martin is right. That's too much weight for the Nemesis, it's a really lightweight airframe intended for a light power system. Mine started out at 6.6 oz. all up with 3x600 li-po's and a geared Razor. The Razor is quite powerful and I ended up having to do several mods to compensate that pushed the AUW to almost 7 oz. Martin had a beta that was over 8 oz., but that's pushing the extreme edge of weight for it. Try to keep it light and I think you'll be happier with it. Good luck!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:33 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,835 Posts
I've been flying mine for about 2 weeks on a EDF-50/IPS-D/1047/2 cells and it flies great with a very light wing loading and easy hovering. It weighs 4.7 oz even with some repairs.

I am waiting for this to burn out then I'll switch to a Razor setup.

I have also tried a IPS-C /1047/3 cells which is alot of fun! If you really want to keep it light, a IPS-A/8043/Etec 250 3 cell pack is loads of fun.

There are alot of options for this plane, but as Tres and Martin stated, try to keep it as light as possible.

-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Jul 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,716 Posts
Quote:
I've been flying mine for about 2 weeks on a EDF-50/IPS-D/1047/2 cells and it flies great with a very light wing loading and easy hovering. It weighs 4.7 oz even with some repairs
Mine is on order. Hoping to get it by weeks end. I'm planing to go with this power set-up.
2-cells What mah rateing? my LHS has 850's would they be to heavy?
Rx and ESC which ones are you using? My lightest Rx is a Hitec 555 should I get something lighter?
GWS ESC 5amp?
unless it burns out motors to fast for my liking I'll will not go brushless. maybe in a Tantrum this winter.
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:29 AM
Airplane Addict
NorthWest Houston
Joined May 2003
293 Posts
My nemesis is running a DX-A with a 9x6 prop. The 10x4.7 was to slow and my skills are lacking so Speed seems to be my friend for correcting quickly. I got the 5A and pico bb servos and extreme5 rec and etec 700s. Mines a little heavy with a cf rod in the fuse and tail. I definetely recomend the cf rod but extend it into the wing some how as gentle nose ins will crack the fuse behind the wing. The basswood would probably be ok, but I'm guessing the same problem will occur. Some 1/64th ply around the rear of the wing helps too. I haven't done any drastic lighten-ing, just the motor stick has been shaved down. Maybe a balsa motor stick would be ok, just bring some ca to the field. Probably save props and gearboxes.
The plane flys awesome, the elevator makes it do some incredible stuff!!!
Mine tips the scale AUW at 6.1 oz.
With a 2 Amp speed control and cut down wires it will probably be lighter, and a berg 4 or rp4 rec can save weight too.
TRAVO is offline Find More Posts by TRAVO