Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:36 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Fun Scale PZ T-28 Build - Nearing completion

Fun scale PZ T-28 Build Update

Nearly complete - almost finished off paint and graphics this evening - all that remains is to add the last couple decals, paint the yellow band on the vertical, add some black for the oil cooler inlet on the front of the cowl, and lastly to add the heater exhaust vent on the port side in the exhaust panel. Then I will spray the whole thing with Minwax Polycrilic Satin Clear.

The decals came out a little opaque but look OK, maybe even better once the Satin Clear is on. I used Avery Clear Decal paper from Staples. I was hoping for a more gloss finish like waterslide material. I tried the Testors waterslide paper from the LHS but found that even after a coat of Minwax Polycrilic Clear Gloss they were not truly colorfast. Also, some of the decals for this scale model are so big they would not come off the backing cleanly and there was stretching. In fairness to the Testors product, I had never tried it before and suspect there may have been issues with my technique.

I spent some time on the cowl with dark grey on the gearcase and silver on the cylinders, and I am really happy with how it looks. I glued in some aluminum foil into the exhaust bay, and I painted the exahust ports silver as well.

I am not really happy with the panel lines but first attempt by hand so I will chalk it up to a learning experience. They looked great when I first put them on, but after I applied the paint they looked very ragged. The issue is that I applied them before paint and ended up tearing the foam a little which was amplified when the paint when on. Z-Foam is a great material for repair but not so much for tracing lanel lines. If I do another one I will apply the panel lines after final paint and graphics.

I cut up a spare canopy to look like it is open for when the plane is on static display. On the real Trojan the canopy moves in two pieces, so I tried to emulate that as best as possible, it really makes the plane look good I think.

Still need to get the BEC/ESC done but all systems and lighting check out.

This has been a ton of fun to build but now I can't wait to fly it.

Here it is before the graphics:

And here it is after:

These last two show the faux speedbrake (decal).

GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Oct 27, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts