HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2002
10 Posts
Question
Trying to accomplish the best of both worlds

I'm just about ready to purchase a new slope plane for the coming winter gales. I really want the look of a PSS. I love the WWII birds and even some of the Jet knock-offs, but I'm also looking for speed, while keeping it an all EPP bird so as to fly in my local contests (racing mostly).

Unfortunately, as always seems to be the case, I can't buy both. I have to make a decision between the two, but see, thats my question... Is there a plane that has the look of a PSS with the speed and handling of a Moth/Gulp/Electron/etc?

So far the closest I've come is looking at the Monster F-20 Tigershark. With it's short tail moment and plank-like wings, looks like it would do the jjob.

What are your thoughts and experiences? I'm not looking to combat this plane, I'm looking for speed and acrobatics, along with the possibility of DS'ing. I'm not going for a record or anything, but in a race, no one likes to lose.

Building skills are pretty novice, so scratching building a plane is rather out of the question for me, but I've had no problems with a nice kit.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to your replies.

Hank
Eye Sore is offline Find More Posts by Eye Sore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:38 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,578 Posts
Leading Edge Gliders

http://leadingedgegliders.com

They have several EPP PSS scale warbirds that fly just as good as they look. Brian Laird was flying his Me-109 with a pack of PSS "lead sleds" at the slope fest and he was able to keep right up. He needed to add about 8-10 oz of ballast to get the wing loading up to the lead sled level, but when he did the plane was just as fast as the glass planes.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:46 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
Well if you want fast the Lading Edge Gliders P-51 or Me-109 are really hard to beat (leadingedgegliders.com). They are the fastest PSS foamies I've flown but then again they were designed to be fast instead of combat. Jets make terrible PSS planes and short coupled jets (like the F-20) are even worse. The canterbury F-20 flies fine but it's no race plane. The wings have some advantages that will be difficult to overcome with a conventional (tailed) design. They turn faster and they have less drag. Conventional designs have some advantages too. They are more stable and more forgiving in CG. The LEG PSSers should be faster in a straight line than the wings but you'll need to really watch the turns. If you try to bank and yank too hard in the turns you'll be in for a spin. They need to be "flown through" the turns smoothly in orders to maintain the energy and not stall them.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:00 PM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
PSS speed plane

I agree with the guys above, the Monster F-20 will not be in the high speed range you are looking for as a racing plane. If you are looking for great looks in the air, the Monster F-20 is hard to beat and flies very nicely. It commands attention everytime I fly it locally.

Remember, the warbirds ( jet or piston) were originally designed to be war machines with massive engines pulling or pushing them along, not for gliding along a slope. I love the look of them and watching them fly, and own several myself, but when I want to go fast with EPP I fly the Electron.

Even with design changes like stretching the fuse, thinning the wings, etc., the warbirds still won't be as speedy as EPP plank style planes specifically designed for that purpose. I am certain the warbirds could DS, but again they weren't designed for that either really and won't be as good at it.

The plank style planes were designed to go fast on the slope, and very rigid for DSing. The aerobatic capability is excellent, my Electron rolls extremely fast, flies in light wind, and really carries energy well. Faster and turns better than my Bluto.

It's always hard to decide, there is never one thing that fits the bill for everone, our Canterbury planes are for the sport and combat pilot while still keeping a nice looking platform, the Leading Edge planes designed by TFLG and the Patton planes have the PSS look and good performance, and the Electron (which I carry as well) is for the kind of person who wants flat out speed from EPP and DS potential.

That's my take on it at least....

Buy them all, that's what I say

Regards
Steve

californiasailplanes.com
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:08 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,578 Posts
Re: PSS speed plane

Quote:
Originally posted by stegre
Buy them all, that's what I say

californiasailplanes.com
Words to live by.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:18 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Definitely buy them all!

The fastest PSS foamies I've seen are made by Leading Edge Gliders, as mentioned above. Not that I'm some expert or anything, but I know what I've seen.

The Stingwing (also by LEG) is one of the fastest wings I've seen, along with the Moth from NCFM.

If you want the "best of both worlds", buy a Stingwing from Jack of LEG and convert it to look like a Horten Ho 229. I just got off the phone with him and he says that now it's all sorted out, it's ripping fast and handling awesome.

Or you could make it into a Curtiss XP-55 Ascender, like TFLG did

Or a Northrop YB-49 with a little more work...

Getting the idea here?...with EPP it's so easy to kitbash a decent kit into whatever you want!!!
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member