New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,197 Posts
There IS a club for the full scale ones...!!!

Dear Metalbenderusn:

The PIPE Here again, with "just a quick one"...

...some of the info at http://web.mac.com/fleetclub/Fleetclub/Home.html MIGHT be of help, and I've also found and downloaded some documentation on the Kinner 125 hp radial engine most of the Fleet Model 2, 7, 10 & 16 versions used for power.

Give the "International Fleet Club" site a good look...you might like something there !!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Metalbenderusn:

The PIPE Here again, with "just a quick one"...

...some of the info at http://web.mac.com/fleetclub/Fleetclub/Home.html MIGHT be of help, and I've also found and downloaded some documentation on the Kinner 125 hp radial engine most of the Fleet Model 2, 7, 10 & 16 versions used for power.

Give the "International Fleet Club" site a good look...you might like something there !!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The USS Macon was interesting......
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Update. Things change all the time when you're putting this stuff together. I dropped $600 and got nearly all the stuff to complete the build. The absolute first thing I bought was an engine. I was gonna get one of those kit 40cc's off Ebay, but I managed to snare a GOOD Zenoah G38 off Ebay for $101 to my door. It's now bolted to an engine test cell complete with R/C eqipment and I've ran the engine twice, it's flawless. The engine come with a Walbro WT-324 carb on the side, I put the WT-324 on the engine before I even fired it up. Hooking up linkage for R/C without a rotation carb block is HELL I tell you. I'll be ordering that carb block prior to mounting the engine on the airframe. Tomorrow weather permitting, I'll run a full tank of gas through this G38, that'll be it till it goes on the plane. I decided being retired Naval Aviation, I'd use a Navy scheme instead of Army
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
12,397 Posts
This throttle linkage kit may make you installation easier. http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page3.htm
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
This throttle linkage kit may make you installation easier. http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page3.htm
This actually would work better, I have the old style choke but thanks:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ZEN13810:cool:
Old May 27, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by Rileydog
Joined May 2015
1 Posts
At a recent estate sale I purchased a Fleet Finch that looks amazingly like yours. Unfortunately there is no information for setting the C/G. Is there any chance that you would know what measurement is. Any help would be appreciated. Also what is the wing span of your model so I can compare it to mine.
Thanks
Cliff
Rileydog is offline Find More Posts by Rileydog
Old May 30, 2015, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by The PIPE
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,197 Posts
Might THIS scan of AMA plan no.310 be of any help?

Dear Rileydog:

The PIPE Here again in this "veteran" thread...as you've mentioned having a "Fleet Finch" of some sort, in some reasonably "sizable" wingspan/fuselage length combination, I've attached a copy of the plan "preview" as a JPEG scan that shows the forward fuselage structure of AMA Plan No. 310, the 1/6th scale planset that I've STILL got from 35 years ago, that I "plans-bashed" into the Fleet Finch from Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome that you see in post #6 in this very thread!!

I'd imagine that IF your Fleet Finch actually HAS a LIFTING tail (a stabilizer/elevator combo that looks like a flat-bottom wing when viewed "inwards" from the tip of the surface) like Gary Brown's plans, and the old Concept Models kit also has, the "target mark" (hint: it looks just like the center of the BMW automobile firm's logo!!) hovering just under the top wing's rib outline in the attached plan preview image IS the center of gravity marker, and its "general location" in respect to where the wings are shown, should give you what should be a decent basis for a "center-of-gravity" placement for a Fleet Finch with lifting tail design in almost any scale size one could build one in for RC Scale flying.

Hope it helps, even a small bit...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; May 30, 2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by sachsr1
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2014
140 Posts
Funny story. I just bought a Fleet bipe yesterday from a guy at the field. It's in good shape, and it has a gas engine on it. It looked like I was going to have to fabricate new n struts, because the top wing was placed farther forward than normal. When I got it home and looked at it more I just couldn't figure out why the wing was so far forward. I was looking it a pictures online, and I noticed that they original builder put the cabanes on the wrong side. I pulled them out (not an easy task), and bingo the wings line up perfect. I'm hoping to get it in the air this weekend.
sachsr1 is offline Find More Posts by sachsr1