HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:24 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Discussion
Concept Fleet bipe 1/4 scale

Any one built or flying one? I have one on the bench right now and the "stick build" portion is close to being completed. There are things I like, and things I dont like. It's a KIT (box of wood and metal), and the instructions are BARELY useable (sketchy at best), and I've HAD blueprint reading education. I'm ALMOST ready for the big ticket items like the engine, fiberglass cowel, faux engine cylinders, and covering. I also gotta pick up the 6" doughnuts and a tail wheel assembly. I'm currently shooting for a FEB completion date. The way the wings attach to the fuse according to the prints and instructions are NOT setup friendly, so I've got to engineer a strong but more efficient way to make the wings quick to put on and remove at the field. I don't really want to take 20 minuets to assemble it before I fly it.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:41 PM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
213 Posts
Yes I built one Concept Fleet. I would not build another one. LOL
The tail feathers are too weak for this size airplane I would double the thickness. If you use a gas motor you will add tail weight anyways. I have a Satio 5-cylinder in mine with 20oz of lead in the tail.
I built the wing as per plans. afterwards I white glued the top wing together to make it a one piece wing. The spar box was too sloppy to leave as is. bummer
Nice flying plane if you can get her built.
Here is a video that someone took of me flying on a cool morning. That is the reason for the extended motor warm-up
1929 Fleet Biplane (9 min 45 sec)
Jim409 is online now Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
LOL...the tail feathers....yup...I've been looking at them with a degree of disgust and FEAR. The top wing, I agree, make it as 1 piece removable. I'm still at the point in the build that I can re-enforce the tail before I cover. That saito 5cyl you have gives it about a scale power it seems, not too much, nor too little, and it sounds good as well. I plan on using a 45cc two stroke for the engine, I'd like a little extra power if I need it. I havent worked on it in the last couple days, taking a break and recovering an Uproar .40 ARF I've been flying all summer, and got my helicopter back flying yesterday. Thanks for posting, I loved your video, your plane looks, sounds and flys great. I will have questions for sure, one is upper wing incidents.....I'm using a bubble level sitting on the spar with the chordline of the wing and the chordline of the fuse being level...is that correct? My FIRST biplane. Thanks guy!
Old Nov 06, 2010, 08:21 PM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
213 Posts
Yes that will work for the top wing. You just don't want it positive so it stalls first.
My stab and rudder/fin are built as plans. They work but way to weak for this size plane.
I added a tail brace wire from fin-stab-tailwheel bolt to help stiffen things up. Mine is covered with Super Coverite and painted which helps with strength. I do loops and spins, wingovers with her but pull the power off on the down sides.
Your 45cc will have plenty of power. I saw one long ago that had a G38cc and it flew good. Sure e-mail me anytime. What state you in?
Jim409 is online now Find More Posts by Jim409
Old Nov 06, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I'm in Michigan, looks like we're both in the cold. I saw another plane using the G38cc and I thought it looked a little anemic in power thus choosing a 45cc. I'll run stiffners in the horizontal and vertical stabs as well as the rudder. I already did add a bit to the rudder it's self beyond what the plans show, that may be enough on the rudder. Like you, I will run the wires and they will be functional with quick release as well as turn buckles. I'm re-covering my Uproar .40, and I'm flying the helicopter while all my planes are down for re-work or in building stage.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 01:22 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
I've built the September 1980 AMA magazine's Fleet biplane....

Dear Metalbenderusn:

The PIPE Here, and a generation ago (1980-81) I was building up a smaller, roughly 1/6th scale Fleet biplane from the plans first offered through an article in the September 1980 Model Aviation AMA magazine, which is still available as Plan No.310, priced nowadays at $21.00 (a HECK of a lot more than I paid "way back when", when it was only at a list price of $6.25!!!)

The plans were meant to build up into a "generic" Fleet bipe, with a 56" wingspan, and meant originally for 35-40 two stroke power, and I had planned on using an HB 40 PDP I owned for its power...but I got totally HOOKED on four stroke power at about that time, with a Saito FA-45 "putt-putt mill", and managed to get the completed model, which had its plans completely re-drawn by myself in some areas, to create a very convincing miniature version of the Fleet Model 16B Finch at Old Rhinebeck. My completed model of the original ORA aircraft featured Frise-hinged ailerons, shock-absorbing spring loaded landing gear (even the tailwheel, too) an airfoiled lifting horizontal tail, and likewise airfoiled vertical fin (all scale features!!!) but the FA-45 proved to be a bit weak on the Finch's seven pound airframe, ready-to-fly, and my early-2000s purchase of a Saito FA-56 four stroke was meant to correct that long-ago oversight.

There are a few photos of my Fleet with this post, and two of them are "apparently" in the same flight attitude...actually, one of those "matching" photos is the full scale Old Rhinebeck aircraft, with the other one being my model in flight way back in 1984.

I've still got my dear old scratchbuilt Fleet, as one of the photos will also show (with it in storage), and when I can get back to work, after being laid off way back in September of 2008, I can start the process of restoring my ol'Fleet Finch, and getting a set of CAD-drawn plans drawn up for a Saito FA-325 radial=powered, 50% larger quarter scale version of it, again with a fully spring LG setup, the Frise-ailerons that allowed my original to turn equally well on either rudder OR ailerons alone (no kidding!) and the scale lifting stab/elevator that forced me to get used to WHEEL-landing the Finch just about every single time I flew it.

Now, for a new JOB to make it all affordable...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Nov 09, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
You did a NICE job on it, barr none. This plane I'm building is sorta special. About 8 years ago, he was in his mid 60's, my father in law bought it in 1/4 scale to be his finest and final endevor in R/C planes. His wife and oldest son passed away almost within 30 days of each other. He lost the drive to complete it, he passed it to me because I'm the only person in the family that can build it, and fly it. My goal is to complete it and take him to the field so he can see it fly. He lost his lower leg and foot, so that impedes his flying as well. I'm trying to get it perfect, being careful. I may have it built by Feb/Mar timeframe, he's almost 75, so time is an issue.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:16 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Here's hoping you dad-in-law gets to see the Fleet Bipe in the air...!

Dear Metalbenderusn:

The PIPE Here again - I've got a similar special place in my own heart, to what you're doing for your own dad-in-law, for remembering my late RC flight instructor Sam Frey (1920s-1996) from Cape Cod, who taught me to fly RC in the late 1970s, through to about 1981-82.

Sammy used to have sooo much FUN with a secondhand Sr. Telemaster that he had, acquired with a patchwork of MonoKote in various colors covering its frame, powered with an Enya 90-FS four stroker engine, flying it in amazing low-altitude maneuvers that could only best be described as an RC aircraft "cavorting", with low-altitude "flip-tail" inside loops, wingovers, and just generall "stooging around" with it, never over about 40-50 feet of altitude, all with the same sort of "knobby" single stick RC radio user interface I had chosen for my own radios, all of which I have built myself, right up to the present day.

Since my current set of "wheels", the 2003 Mercury Gran Marquis four-door car I acquired from my now non-driving mother (whom I still live with!) cannot easily accomodate a Sr. Telemaster of my own to remember Sammy with, I chose to get a Telemaster 40 kit instead late in 2009, for powering with the Fleet's Saito FA-56 mill...sometime later, when I can get back to work and save up the money to get a used 2005-07 Ford Focus station wagon, THEN I'll have the room to transport a Sr. Telemaster that I'd build either from plans, or from the Hobby Lobby kit (when they get a new kit cutter for them!) to REALLY honor Sammy's place in my own life, and I've even got an example of OS's early-1980s equivalent four stroke, the FS-90 rear camshaft engine, to what Sammy was using in his Sr. Telly, to power my own Senior Telemaster someday.

Here's hoping that you can get the Fleet you're building completed for next Spring, so your dad-in-law can get to see it flying...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I remember my instructor but I forget his name. In 1987 I bought an AeroStar .40 in like March. By June he had me doing solo very well. We flew off the approach of runway 9 at a Naval Air Station in Glenview, IL. We only got to fly a couple time per week, not like we could do it every day, so learning was a little drawn out. Using runway 9 approach, we had radio contact with the control tower of course. The 9-27 runway was secondary and used if winds were east/west, and also depended on Chicago O'Hare's approach traffic. Runway 9-27 was also the short runway, and couldn't handle bigger stuff like C-5's or other larger cargo planes. Now I'm down to a 4 acer grass field behind my house OR a grass cessna strip on the outskirts of town, which is great, especially for a 1/4 scale. I also fly 450 electric helicopter, but it's down for a motor that's on order.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:54 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
metalbender,

Any update your fleet. I just started recovering one of my own. I'll be using an OS 5 cylinder radial.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
metalbender,

Any update your fleet. I just started recovering one of my own. I'll be using an OS 5 cylinder radial.
Yep...Airframe is built, waiting for the EXPENSIVE parts to begin now.....
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:08 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Looking good. What are you planning on covering it with?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Looking good. What are you planning on covering it with?
I plan on using coverite iron on fabric (really expensive). I also plan on the 5cyl radial with remote glow system.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Yeah, I am either going with coverite or Solartex. probably Solartex because it is a little bit cheaper and you can get this pinking tape for it that matches the color. http://www.pink-it.net/

For the glow system I have been eyeballing the one from Sonic Tronics.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I am either going with coverite or Solartex. probably Solartex because it is a little bit cheaper and you can get this pinking tape for it that matches the color. http://www.pink-it.net/

For the glow system I have been eyeballing the one from Sonic Tronics.
I wanted to use solartex, couldn't find the website.....now I did so I'll use solar tex. I just have to calculate what I need for wings and tail vs the fuse and the all important question of....scheme (Army or Navy). Leaning hard to Army cause I cant find a Navy version of this plane.