HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
Zephyrhills,FL
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
Discussion
Torn...UM T-28 or P-51?!?

I know there are a ton of threads, but I figured I would add my own. Here's my dilema: money in the bank, ready to spend: UM P-51 or UM T-28 ? I've been flying my HZ Champ for about a month daily now, and need something more. I've got a T-28 ready to go in the garage, just afraid to take it out! I've been practicing on the UM P-51 sims, but would it be more beneficial for me to start with the UM T-28 then move to the big one? I know alot of people have said the UM T-28 is a great step up from the champ, I just dont want to get bored with that too quick like the champ. Don't get me wrong, I love the champ, letting it float all over, land pretty much anywhere on a dime, etc - its very relaxing - just need ailerons and inverted flight

My plan is to get the next micro, and be comfortable, then finally take out my big T-28, then once that gets old, get the new PZ P-47 with retracts!

Please help! Going in about two hours to buy a micro, just can't pull the trigger on which one!
Automag928 is offline Find More Posts by Automag928
Last edited by Automag928; Oct 26, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:37 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
The Mustang has treated me well. I got it as a first plane. It's little bit lighter, but they both have easy, docile flight...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
Zephyrhills,FL
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
The Mustang has treated me well. I got it as a first plane. It's little bit lighter, but they both have easy, docile flight...
So the mustang will slow down and "float", in other words, you arent having to gas it to keep it flying?
Automag928 is offline Find More Posts by Automag928
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:50 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
I have the UM T-28 and love it. From what I've read it floats more than the P-51 which can tip stall.

From those that have the larger T-28 and the micro version, most seem to say they fly very similar.

The T-28 also seems to be a bit more forgiving than the P-51 in light wind apparently.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:37 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
I have both and you'll get more out of the T28
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:03 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
I have both and you'll get more out of the T28
Ditto. The T-28 flies great. Not much harder than the Champ and definitely easier than the Mustang... Which isn't super hard to fly, just easy to crash if you make a little mistake.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:33 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Ditto. The T-28 flies great. Not much harder than the Champ and definitely easier than the Mustang... Which isn't super hard to fly, just easy to crash if you make a little mistake.
EXACTLY!...Especially about the Mustang...It looks great in the air and all but it's been unforgiving in my hands. A lil mistake and hello Earth.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:38 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
I would go with the mustang simply because if you can get proficient with it, and it is not super hard to fly, just quicker. The mistake I've seen a few people make with this one is to run it full throttle and lose control, or the reverse, to tight a turn at slow speed. If you learn throttle and control at both low speed and throttle control at high speed, it will be a good precursor to the bigger T-28...which is fast! the little T-28 is definately tamer and easier to fly. If you do go with the mustang, reinforce the tail and rudder with some CF. There is a thread in the micro mustang mod thread about this.

Also, I fly my mustang with the new 500mA battery from e-flite and it actually flies better with the added weight as well as longer (23 minutes).

good luck and good flying which ever way to go :-)
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,878 Posts
Interesting comment on the weight. I am beginning to think that a bit of extra weight might be beneficial to most of the um planes. I think I need to get a scale and do some experimenting. I have an old beat up t28 with lots of glue and tape that is much more stable and still rolls and loops well compared to a pristine new one without any extra weight. The only thing that the heavy one won't do well is fly inverted. Too much weight in the nose I think. Has anyone experimented with purposely adding some weight? and if so, where?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:15 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
I put a 160 Hyperion lipo on my Ember 2 last night and found it was much better with the extra weight over stock battery as well.

A little extra weight on these does seem to make them more stable.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:42 AM
Philomath Oregeon
Joined Jul 2010
79 Posts
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but my son and I each have a Champ. Can I just buy the UM T-28 BNF and use the Champ's transmitters and flight batteries in this plane? They look the same. Son's gotten really good and wants a more acrobatic plane.
mikevds is offline Find More Posts by mikevds
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:58 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevds View Post
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but my son and I each have a Champ. Can I just buy the UM T-28 BNF and use the Champ's transmitters and flight batteries in this plane? They look the same. Son's gotten really good and wants a more acrobatic plane.
Yes.

You may want to upgrade the TX, but it will work with the T-28.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Yes. The Champ transmitter works fine with the Trojan. Get used to how the plane handles on low rates first, though; since you will need a much more deft touch to handle the plane on high rates, compared to the Champ.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you. My son(12 yr old) and I both have Champs. He moved up to a Mustang and actually did pretty well with it. About 2 weeks ago, he got the T-28 and absolutely LOVES it over the Mustang. He says it flys so much smoother but can still do the tricks.

al
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
Philomath Oregeon
Joined Jul 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Yes.

You may want to upgrade the TX, but it will work with the T-28.
Sweet. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
Yes. The Champ transmitter works fine with the Trojan. Get used to how the plane handles on low rates first, though; since you will need a much more deft touch to handle the plane on high rates, compared to the Champ.
Heck, I'm still using the low rate on the Champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akozols View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. My son(12 yr old) and I both have Champs. He moved up to a Mustang and actually did pretty well with it. About 2 weeks ago, he got the T-28 and absolutely LOVES it over the Mustang. He says it flys so much smoother but can still do the tricks.

al
Yeah, I talked to customer support at HobbyZone yesterday asking him questions about the Mini Super Cub as a step up from the Champ. He pretty much told me not to waste my money and go for the T-28 instead. So I've been researching it a little and it seems like the way to go. At least for my son (for now). I'm still having fun with the Champ.
mikevds is offline Find More Posts by mikevds