HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2 Posts
Question
rc glow engines

I am starting back into rc airplanes. I would like to retrain with a trainer in the .46 size. What is a good engine? How about Evolution engines ? If a plane calls for .46 to .52 motor would you go to the larger size?
startup1 is offline Find More Posts by startup1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:15 PM
United States, NJ, Middlesex
Joined Feb 2008
1,193 Posts
You'll get a host of opinions about engines. It's a pretty safe bet to go with either a Thunder Tiger, OS, or Evo engine. All types have their pro's and con's. I personally have used both OS and Evo and both have been great.

Engine size selection is up to you, but on a typical trainer, and .46 is more then enough.

If money is a bit tight, check out the classifieds section here to get some great deals on engines (both new and used) from some good people.
RedStarArmy is offline Find More Posts by RedStarArmy
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:16 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
I have a Magnum 46 sitting here that I have no complaints about at all. Been a great engine and best of all they are cheap.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,192 Posts
I wouldn't use an Evo 46 if given to me....Every one I know that has had one has had problems with tuning them and keeping them tuned....Stay with OS
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 30, 2010, 06:59 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Other choices:

Super Tigre
Magnum ( I run a bunch of the .15 XLS for RC combat)
ASP (same as Magnum)

I have an Evo CL motor, but have not run it. The Evo RC engines at my field run fine, once you remove the idiot stops (ones designed to prevent you from messing too much with the needle valves).
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:49 PM
Jupiter Fl
Joined Mar 2010
562 Posts
My Supre Tigre 45 runs great and I hardly ever have to tune it. Just show up to the field and it cranks right up everytime. The only deadsticks that I have had was when I ran out of fuel because I forgot to set the timer.
gsnewflyer is offline Find More Posts by gsnewflyer
Old Nov 04, 2010, 07:53 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
I have experience running all of the previously mentioned engines and have had good luck with all of them. If I had to stay away from one it would be the EVO. They are over priced IMO . For the money you can't beat a Magnum. They're all good engines but the Evo is the worst.
Also if the plane calls for a 46 then I'd run a 46. A bigger engine is not always better. A 46 is more power than a trainer usually needs.
The choice is all yours.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H