Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:15 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Part three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaqSc...&feature=inbox

Ignore how the pull-pull cables go in different directions I have fixed that.

Going to be at the field tommorow right when it opens at 8 to avoid as much wind as possible. Can't wait!
Ethan, good job on the video. Taxi was nice and tight turns too. I understand the colour scheme is from New Zealand, good choice thats where I am.
One question, did you concider a separate tail wheel servo? Just a thought, the plane can probably handle the little extra weight.

I look forward to flight report and video.

Regards
Phillip C
Philkiteflyer

Invercargill, South Island, New Zealand.
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:09 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Well she flies!

Pat Tritle Pilatus Porter Maiden Flights (2 min 45 sec)

But I'm guilty of skipping a step on the assembly notes I just glued the wings strut tubes on instead of first lashing them with thread then glueing them. They came off because I let the elevator stick slip and I pulled back up violently as you saw after the first turn in the video. The reason it nose dived is because I needed a good amount of up-trim (CG was right on, the elevator was pointed slightly downwards). After a quick tape job I had her back up in the air.

Anyway, I love how slow it flies considering mine came in pretty heavy at 32.5 oz! The 10X4.8 SF prop gave scale performance and after 27 min of flying on a 2200 mah 2S the battery voltage dropped to 7.6v so 30 mins should be easy. I really like putting around with takeoff flaps just above stall speed. Speaking of stalling, I only tried it once because of the wing struts. It didn't even stall, it was more like a 'parachute' (a move those 3D things do). I do have washout in the wings beacause the AUW is heavier then I want. But now that I know flies so nicely even at 33 oz, I am going to add the flap gap fairing, figure out how to add that foam stuff I got back in January to the landing gear and get some pilots and balsa sheets to make a fun cockpit. Should be a great fun-scale-stand-a-little-back contender for the scale fly-in this July. I really need to consider making some dummy skies as the full version does...

Thats all I can say now because it was breezy (take a look at those mean storm clouds down the runway). The right wing was raised a bit higher then the left because of the bad wing strut tape job so the turns were a bit funky. The rudder really helps though.

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Last edited by WAGliderGuy; Apr 03, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkiteflyer View Post
Ethan, good job on the video. Taxi was nice and tight turns too. I understand the colour scheme is from New Zealand, good choice thats where I am.
One question, did you concider a separate tail wheel servo? Just a thought, the plane can probably handle the little extra weight.

I look forward to flight report and video.

Regards
Phillip C
Philkiteflyer

Invercargill, South Island, New Zealand.
Hi! The sharp turns are great for those quick runway exits or parking 180s. Yes, I chose the Mount Cook Ski Planes PC-6 scheme because its not hard to replicate and easy to see http://www.airliners.net/photo/Mount...fa1768d9db41f3

It looks great too. Once I get the lettering graphics on and fix the yellow paint that doesn't match around the side windows it will look great. I also need to figure out how to make some dummy skies....foam? Maybe balsa? Should be a fun late-spring project. But first to fix that 40 size sport plane that lawn-darted at 96 mph and left a 5-inch crater in the dirt today

Ethan
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
That was great! Really good flying in that kind of wind.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Thanks! Little bouncy but it cut through the wind just fine. I got some balsa sheets today from the LHS. They didn't any have pilots under 1/8 scale.

The plane is 1/10 scale but I can't find any pre-painted figures that are that scale. The closest ones I can find are 1/9 offerings from H9 but I won't be able to fit two in the cockpit.

Any suggestions? I don't have the tools, colors or will to paint sorry

I did find a good set of 1/10 scale instruments: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXR679&P=7
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
Try Parkflyer Plastics. Measure the width you want and pick out a couple. Sparky likes to suspend his from the ceiling. That way they 'move' a little bit during taxi. Looks pretty cool.

Sorry, these do require painting.

charlie
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the link, I think I found one that will fit. What kind of paint should I use on the plastic? I read the instructions and it said something about satin paint. Next time I go near an art/craft store I will look for a cheap paint kit.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:45 PM
Nelson, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
47 Posts
I would just love one of these but shipping here to New Zealand would be the killer.
WAGliderGuy, I noticed you never had your battery strapped in otherwise a very good build.
rc_adict69 is offline Find More Posts by rc_adict69
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:42 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
688 Posts
Congratulations on a successful maiden. Looks really good in the air!
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:49 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
for painting most stuff I use the cheap craft store acrylic paints (Michaels, Hobby Lobby craft store, etc). Then follow Sparky's guide for painting them.

I usually get really simple. Plain face, black dots for eyes, hair color and then shirt/jacket. And a little sloppy sometimes

Here's an example. Glasses are just some wire bent in small loops. Cigar is a small stick. No shading or anything fancy (except for making the bald spot ).

charlie
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,772 Posts
Thanks guys.

@rc addict: Yes the battery isn't strapped in because I am using Scotch strapping strips that are made to hang stuff like signs and lights on walls outside. It works very well and keeps the battery very snug. Only downside is that it is tough to get off.

Thanks for the tip portablevcb! I not an artist in any way so its going to turn out a little sloppy but hey its better then having an empty space in the cockpit I will order two of them soon so I can practice first.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:29 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
You're welcome. It is easy to slop some paint on and even a rough looking pilot in the air is better than none.

When I order something from Sparky I usually go through his stuff and order a bunch. Bombs, engines, pilots, airscoops, etc. Fill up my plastic bin. That way shipping isn't as much of a hit.

charlie
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post

Here's an example. Glasses are just some wire bent in small loops. Cigar is a small stick. No shading or anything fancy (except for making the bald spot ).

charlie
"Pat" pilot looks great. You didn't tell us how you did the cigar ash though?
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
688 Posts
I got the landing gear done today. I was really dreading that. Do alittle sanding on the wing and I'm ready to start covering.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,375 Posts
Onna,

Cigar ash is just a dab of grey paint.

charlie