HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:11 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,060 Posts
Discussion
More tutorials!!! I need to get back to flying...

As a DIYer I have built everything from RC airplanes, to motors and even entire FPV setups. In the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I give you the following tutorials to help you be more successful in your ventures. Please enjoy.

In here you will find detailed tutorials that will walk you through scratchbuilding a model airplane, rewinding your electric motor, and many antenna tutorials for FPV enthusiasts. Below are my tutorials and build logs:

Tutorials

VTX antenna tutorial
- Home of what is possibly the most popular aerial antenna in FPV, the inverted Vee!

How to build a good ground station - Shows the basics of an FPV ground station as well as things not to do.

DIY antenna tracker - The ultimate FPV accessory

SWR meter - Tune your own antennas with this quick DIY project.

7.5-12 dbi Helical antenna - A fairly simple circularly polarized RX antenna with incredible performance!

The Cloverleaf CP antenna - The best TX antenna I have ever designed!

The 10dbic Circular Double Quad antenna - My first ever ground up design of a circularly polarized antenna. It Rocks!

UHF turnstile antenna - Improve performance of your UHF radio system with this antenna

Ground plane omni directional RX antenna How-to A good omni directional antenna for your FPV aircraft RX.

Homebrew Yagi thread - Home to moderate gain Yagis and the Moxon rectangle RX antennas.

The fast patch antenna tutorial - The easiest patch antenna you can make for your FPV project.

Notch filter tutorial - Knock out interference with ease!

11dbi BiQuad antenna tutorial - A great medium to long range FPV RX antenna solution that can be built in an hour or two.

The Skew-planar Wheel - A circularly polarized omnidirectional antenna!

DIY diversity controller - Need I say more?

Cantenna - 7 dbi in 10 minutes for FPV!

How to Scratchbuild a performance electric plane - Tutorial on the basics of performance aircraft construction from scratch. Techniques, balancing, materials, and even motor selection are covered.

Wicked fast aircraft construction tutorial - If you have the need for speed, get it here!

Parkflyer tutorial with plans - For those who want to build a backyard flyer or park flyer.

Scratchbuild hovercraft tutorial - Ok, so it's not technically an airplane, but it does fly. Would be kind of cool to FPV

Simple lost model locator - Easy little device that you can plug into your battery balance port that will help you locate your plane at night if you crash it at dusk.

Brushless motor rewind tutorial - If you have a few burned up motors, this might help you not only rewind them, but get a little more performance out of them.

Build Logs

Diablo scratchbuild pylon racer - This little thing clocked in at 121 mph on a 3S and a GoBrushless GBX triple (9N8P variant)

The scratchbuild Bird of Prey - Oh yes I did make a forward swept wing flying wing airplane. And it does 120mph!

The Minion - The ultimate FPV airframe.

Spirit FPV - A durable speed pattern flyer

Wraith V2 - an indestructible FPV parkflyer. 55 mph and 9 minute flight times on a single 2200 battery!

Vampire FPV Pylon Racer - This one made a big impression at the Randy Covington Fly-In 2010 when it went skimming across the cornfield only 12" off the deck at 90 mph!

Snyper FPV flying wing - Flies great, but nothing spectacular about it other than it's the best looking plane I ever built (which isn't saying much, trust me).

Scout FPV - My first ever FPV plane. Even had pan and tilt!

Carnivore FPV - This has done some of my most memorable flights. Unfortunately the earlier versions in the scratchbuild tutorial are better performers.

Fork Tail Devil - high speed P-38 Lightning - One of these days I'll have the guts to actually fly this one... maybe.

Demon V2 - Small park flying pylon racer

Antenna tracker development - How the antenna tracker was born and tested.

Okay, I think I just noticed I spend WAY too much time on this forum

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by IBCrazy; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
751 Posts
Great set of tutorials, thanks for posting them all together.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Apr 07, 2013, 04:36 AM
Turkey, Ankara Province, Ankara
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Alex,
many thx for these wonderful tutorials... i learned a lot about antennas and vx/tx systems with the help of them. built versatile simple antennas that increased my systems functionality drastically.. i use both 2,4 and 1,2 ghz ststems, especially i am astonished about the performance of a little Moxon antenna simply built for my 200mw 1,2ghz system... i am using it on a robotic rover wandering along my big terrace and i can control it and watch video tx from inside, it penetrates through my numerous thick walls now... thx again for your hard work and wish you a crashless flying....

dincer
dhepguler is offline Find More Posts by dhepguler