SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ODUsurfer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Corsair ARF Build

So I've always loved the Corsair, and I love Parkzone's Corsair. It looks great, flies great, and is just a solid airframe... But I've never liked Parkzone electronics. They are always overly cheap, with their plastic motors and weak servos that never last the life of a plane without stripping. Plus there is usually little room to speed planes up using any of the stock equipment... So, I just built one from parts!

Parts needed:
PKZ4667 Bare Fuselage (painted): Corsair $30.59 @ LHS
PKZ4620 Bare Wing (Painted no decals, no servos): Corsair $34.19 @ LHS
PKZ4625 Horizontal Tail with Accessories: Corsair $10.44 @ LHS
PKZ4626 Cowl: Corsair $5.99 @ LHS
PKZ4613 Clear Canopy & Painted Battery Hatch: Corsair $11.39 @ LHS
PKZ4603 Decal Sheet: Corsair $4.99 @ LHS
PKZ4428 Motor Mount w/Screws: T-28, F4U $3.29 @ LHS

If you're a true parkflyer like me, you'll likely just buy the Skid Plates (PKZ4627) that sell for $4.99, and just belly land in the grass. Otherwise you'll need to buy the Landing Gears (PKZ4606) and Tail Gear (PKZ4607) for $6.99 and $3.49, respectively.

Total: $105.87

That's it! So for just over $100, you get one of the best foam parkflyers out there as an ARF. Not to mention if you want to really run lean, you could pass on the landing skids in favor of masking tape, make your own motor mount, and even go without the decals if you wanted too, keeping the cost well under $100 dollars. I am simply amazed I don't see more people doing this!

So from there, I proceed to install my electronics:
MonsterPower 10 1100kv Outrunner $17.90 @ www.hobbypartz.com
Power Up 40 Amp ESC $31.95 @ www.headsuprc.com
2200mah 25C EZ FLITE Lipos $19.95 @ www.headsuprc.com
3xTP MG90 Metal Gear Sub Micro Servo $9.50/ea @ www.headsuprc.com
Spektrum AR6110e Reciever (NOT A CLONE) $36.99 @ www.bigskyhobby.com
APC 11x7E prop $3 @ LHS

Grand Total: $241.16

Now if you don't know anything about the electronics I've put into this thing, let me tell you this: It'll blow your socks off. It'll effectively hand launch itself, and go straight up until you can't see it anymore. It'll keep up with a stock Stryker without breaking a sweat. This thing is powerful. In fact, you'll likely have to reinforce the plane to keep from breaking it from too much power. -But the metal gear servos allow you to never worry about loosing control from a stripped servo.

All for way less than you can buy the stock RTF Corsair. That's damned sexy folks.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4 Posts
I like this. I am entertaining the idea.
Luke Spacewalker is offline Find More Posts by Luke Spacewalker
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
I was going a bit too fast this afternoon on a high speed dive & pass, and actually broke the outside tail elevator hinges, presumably due to wind vibration...

All I know is I heard a weird rattling coming from the plane on the pass, and then it started flying a little funny. The center portion of the elevator was still attached though, so I had plenty of control and was able to get it down without too much trouble. I kinda found it a bit funny, actually.

Let the reinforcements begin!!!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,424 Posts
I've got effectively, the same setup, only I use the MAS 10 x 7 x 3 and the T-Pro SG-90 servos ($3) from HobbyPartz also. Never had even a hickup with the servos.

It still is way faster than stock and has thrust like you can't believe. It will pull a nice big, solid, smooth loop at just over 1/2 throttle.

Great motor for < $20!
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:42 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Re: "reinforcements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
I was going a bit too fast this afternoon on a high speed dive & pass, and actually broke the outside tail elevator hinges, presumably due to wind vibration...

All I know is I heard a weird rattling coming from the plane on the pass, and then it started flying a little funny. The center portion of the elevator was still attached though, so I had plenty of control and was able to get it down without too much trouble. I kinda found it a bit funny, actually.

Let the reinforcements begin!!!
Greetings,

The same thing has happened to me on my maiden flight (not sure if it was caused by flying too fast or the hard landing afterwards). Do you have any tips or suggestions regarding repairing and reinforcing these hinges? I also notice several of the taped areas (aileron hinges and around the aileron servos) were peeling back. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joeleff
joeleff is offline Find More Posts by joeleff
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeleff View Post
Greetings,

The same thing has happened to me on my maiden flight (not sure if it was caused by flying too fast or the hard landing afterwards). Do you have any tips or suggestions regarding repairing and reinforcing these hinges? I also notice several of the taped areas (aileron hinges and around the aileron servos) were peeling back. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joeleff
Well, mine turned out to be my elevator rattling. I fixed it, and made a pretty detailed post about it in the Corsair thread here. Check it out, see if it helps you.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Just an update on my Corsair, which I've dubbed "Eleanor"

So I just blew through my 2nd MonsterPower 10 outrunner from hobbypartz.com... Outstanding power, but these motors are crap. Fair warning.

I'd recommend the Power Up 480 Plus from HeadsUpRC.com instead, that's whats been on my buddy's Corsair for 6 months now, without any problems. Almost equivalent power to the Power 10 too. I have it on order, actually.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:45 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,424 Posts
What happened with your motor? I've had mine running without a hiccup for almost a year now. I've also runn them successfully in a few other planes.

Edit:
Nevermind, saw your post in the other thread.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Last edited by Lardog; Jan 03, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Jan 2008
316 Posts
I just got my PNP Corsair couple of days ago. I wish I found this thread earlier. I would definitely go the same route you did (foam from PZ, electronics from elsewhere)

Could you give me some recommendation on hinges? Should I replace them or just leave them alone?
kml.krk is offline Find More Posts by kml.krk
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kml.krk View Post
I just got my PNP Corsair couple of days ago. I wish I found this thread earlier. I would definitely go the same route you did (foam from PZ, electronics from elsewhere)

Could you give me some recommendation on hinges? Should I replace them or just leave them alone?
Well I basically completely rebuilt my elevator, and when I did I added several Du-Bro standard nylon hinges to it. I've added some tape to the rudder and aileron hinges just as reinforcement, but those are stock otherwise, and stock seems to do just fine as far as the rudder and aileron hinges are concerned. But if you're worried about them, I'm sure you could add some Du-Bro nylon hinges to the others as well without too much hassle. Du-Bro hinges are cheap.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Jan 2008
316 Posts
Thank you for the info. I think I will keep the hinges stock. I was just wondering what other pilots are using.
kml.krk is offline Find More Posts by kml.krk